A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 261022 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , cloudiness , mold , catalyst , tacky_resin , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amaliadc
« Reply #1640 on: January 16, 2011 08:39:47 AM »

So I finally had the chance to start over with my coasters - the mold was definitely the issue! Even just in the mold I could tell the difference - no bubbles, or any other issues. Granted they're still in the mold, I'm letting them cure a lot longer than I did last time - however, you can already tell it's going to come out great.

I used hexagon coaster molds (they come 4 coasters in a mold) with glass inserts - I covered the inserts in resin so you won't really see them.

So, just an fyi to everyone, don't use black molds that are made for cement or mosaics, they were awful Smiley

I'll post pics of the finished product if anyone is interested....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amaliadc
« Reply #1641 on: January 18, 2011 09:24:05 AM »

I have a random follow up question....I went to Michael's and bought Castin Craft polyester resin with catalyst - having no idea there was an epoxy type. I know polyester is fairly toxic, I kept the windows open with a fan with an OSHA mask on while working with it, but I'm sure I inhaled a ton of fumes. I only worked with it on two separate days - that was it and now that I know about epoxy I threw out the polyester and bought epoxy to work with.

I only got a slight headache from it, but I'm kind of concerned about the long term effects. Should I be worried about my exposure, even though it was short-term?

Also, here's a pic of the coasters I made! Smiley

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/ImAmaliaBedelia/photo-1.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
illuminatingone
« Reply #1642 on: February 19, 2011 04:17:12 AM »

Hobby Lobby has a lot of candy molds that you might could use!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1643 on: February 19, 2011 08:15:55 AM »

I know polyester is fairly toxic, I kept the windows open with a fan with an OSHA mask on while working with it, but I'm sure I inhaled a ton of fumes. I only worked with it on two separate days - that was it and now that I know about epoxy I threw out the polyester and bought epoxy to work with.
I only got a slight headache from it, but I'm kind of concerned about the long term effects. Should I be worried about my exposure, even though it was short-term?. . . here's a pic of the coasters

Not sure how I missed this post, but neither polyester nor epoxy craft resin is really "toxic."  If you were in a plant that manufactured it, or if you used a lot of it on your own (for your business perhaps), then you'd definitely not want to breathe in that much of it, especially polyester.  The issues are much better for epoxy resins though you still would want at least reasonable ventilation, and to wear at least a dust mask if you sanded. Tweaked epoxies like Easy Cast, etc, are even less bad for lungs but they do have other problems after curing.

The problem from breathing in anything "bad for you" is mostly the cumulative effect over years or a lifetime though, not that you'll keel over after exposure when using in small amounts for crafts.  You might get a headache from the polyester resin, but there's no real long-term effect other than you've added a tiny bit to your lifetime exposure (which you'll also get into your lungs from daily living in a developed country especially from car exhaust and many other air pollutants, rugs and all kinds of furniture in your house, heating non-stick coatings too high, etc., as well as inhaling smoke from fireplaces, etc).

P.S.  I think we've mentioned somewhere in this long thread or perhaps on the Completed Projects board that not just any kind of mold material can be used for resins and allow the resin to release.  Some molds will even become distorted or cause foggy resin surfaces from the heat generated by their curing.  And many candy molds won't be the right kind of plastic, but could perhaps work if they were silicone.

Also, regular epoxy resins won't work well in molds where you want the resin to be deeper than about 1/4" at more.  For those you'd need a polyester resin or one of the tweaked epoxies.  They don't have the exact same properties though they look the same after curing when done right.
For more info on molds for resin, check out at least some of my previous posts found by doing an Advanced Search here for my name plus resin mold HDPE:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10667.msg4176021#msg4176021
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=254029.msg3964373#msg3964373
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=318977.msg3970174#msg3970174
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011 08:31:50 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: February 19, 2011 09:52:25 AM »

Since we're talking about resin...I have a question...I made bottle cap pendants using resin and small gemstones (inexpensive).  They have been done for about five days now, and are still tacky.  Anything I can do to move it along (the drying)?  Any help would be much appreciated!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1645 on: February 19, 2011 10:10:59 AM »

I made bottle cap pendants using resin and small gemstones (inexpensive).  They have been done for about five days now, and are still tacky.  Anything I can do to move it along (the drying)?

Miss Barbara:

Which kind, and brand, of resin were you using?

What was the temperature and humidity during pouring and curing?

How thoroughly did you  mix, and did you move the mixed resin to another cup (and mix a bit more) before using?

How old was your resin?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011 10:16:46 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: February 20, 2011 06:22:33 AM »

To answer your questions...I forget the name of it, but it's the one that comes in 2 bottles that you have to mix together.  I did it just as the instructions said, and I have made it before without a problem.  It's been pretty chilly here, no precipitation of any kind.  And the resin is not old.  Do you think it will EVER dry?  (I'm getting tired of "babysitting" the pieces on my kitchen table.)  Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1647 on: February 20, 2011 11:07:18 AM »

The name of the resin could be important since both polyester and epoxy resins "come in two bottles"... epoxies are mixed one-to-one while polyesters are mixed a lot of one to a few drops of the other (so I'm presuming you got a regular epoxy, or a tweaked epoxy like Easy Cast which can have a "soft" surface if exposed to too-warm conditions after curing).  
Polyester resins won't usually cure thoroughly in the presence of air, so any side exposed to air during curing might have stayed "tacky."  
And btw, thin layers of resin can take longer to cure than thick ones because they don't generate as much internal heat from the curing process as thicker layers/pours.

Not mixing any resin thoroughly could also create problems/areas of non-curing (i.e, not mixed long enough, and for every little bit including the parts around the bottom corners of the cup if not moving to a new cup before using).

Being too cool (less than about 70 F) or too hot, or too humid as well, can also create similar problems. Using embedments that are any of those things can change the temp/humidity as well, or embedments that have substances in/on them that aren't compatible, etc.  And were you using metal bottlecaps?  And what else was touching the resin inside the cap?

Here is some suggestions from the page at my site I linked to before about ways to correct tacky or uncured areas:
You can can correct with another pour of epoxy resin:.. scrape out any obviously sticky spots or the whole surface; scrub with a clean cloth and alcohol or acetone before recoating; mix new batch of resin; pour over old surface and allow to cure .....or just start over with new resin and mix well.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011 11:10:40 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: February 21, 2011 08:19:40 AM »

Thank you thank you thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betwixting
« Reply #1649 on: February 21, 2011 12:15:14 PM »

Hi everyone. I'm new to Craftster but not to resin. I've tried them all. Made all the mistakes. My favorite in terms of fumes, tackiness after curing, ease, bubbles, etc. is ICE Resin. Just thought I'd throw my two cents into the ring. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grass Text Effects
How To Create A Masked Image in iWork Pages
How to Create and Color Objects in Illustrator Lesson 3
How to Create and Color Objects in Illustrator Lesson 2
117 Understanding Adobe Photoshop - Repair Sky
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...