A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 172
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The random RESIN question thread!  (Read 281812 times)
Tags for this thread: resin , mold , catalyst , resin_problems  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1530 on: April 26, 2010 02:38:53 PM »

By turning the mold on its side, pouring in the purple layer (perhaps with masking or other tape or clay across part of the open side of the mold to keep the resin from spilling out?) and waiting for it to gel before pouring in the next layer?...repeat, repeat?  Would be one way anyway off the top of my head, but there are usually various ways to do the same thing in art/craft/etc.

Diane B.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010 02:43:58 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
HardLuckGal
« Reply #1531 on: April 26, 2010 02:56:39 PM »

Alright resin masters... I have a question... I have searched and searched and found nothing like this on the board.  How on earth did this person layer the glitter? I am still new to resin but I thought that this idea was pretty genius!!!

maybe the glitter was glued to some kind of base material first, then resin poured on top?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iheartcapnhook
« Reply #1532 on: April 27, 2010 12:34:07 PM »

By turning the mold on its side, pouring in the purple layer (perhaps with masking or other tape or clay across part of the open side of the mold to keep the resin from spilling out?) and waiting for it to gel before pouring in the next layer?...repeat, repeat?  Would be one way anyway off the top of my head, but there are usually various ways to do the same thing in art/craft/etc.

Diane B.

Wouldn't a tape either leak or pull out the slightly gelled resin?  This technique is boggling me! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1533 on: April 27, 2010 01:08:32 PM »

If you mean that the tape might be too flexible for a wide mold, that might happen (though that volume of resin wouldn't be all that heavy, or the excess could be sanded off later) but you could always tape something stiff behind the tape to reinforce it.

If you mean that the resin might leak out somewhere the uncured resin was touching the tape, that doesn't seem to happen... I know masking tape and duct tape are sticky enough for example, and their other ingredients/components are fine with raw resin.
Take a look at this lesson, for example, even though the mold isn't tilted here:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/epoxy.htm (scroll halfway down the page to the second lesson called "window of opportunity")

Other things could work too as a "dam", like plasticine clay and perhaps raw polymer clay, etc.

(The angle of tilt could even change for each layer if desired, after each layer has gelled sufficiently.)

Diane B.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010 01:12:12 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
pops

this kittens' nose demands kisses...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1534 on: April 28, 2010 05:12:30 AM »

capnhook, i was wondering - is this a pendant with resin 'on top' of a flat glitter background or is it layers of glitter-resin- by which i mean, resin with coloured glitter all the way through?

the only way i can think of to do that would be make up small amount of resin with a coloured glitter throughout and add the next layer when the previous has cured to a certain hardness...

other than that, i'm stumped too! however it was done, tis very pretty! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1535 on: April 28, 2010 08:28:06 AM »

iheartcapnhook, one other thing I thought about for the tape method I mentioned.  

In the linked lesson, he says:
Complete the finishing. Wet sand the epoxy resin on the back of the piece to remove any unwanted texture made by the tape. Wet sanding will give the piece a frosted look.

If there was a "texture" left on the back side of the resin caused by the tape, and if it was a problem visually from the front side of the piece, instead of sanding and buffing to get rid of the texture-cloudiness you could probably just paint on a coating of epoxy resin to fill in the texture and make the surface smooth and even again (and uncloudy it)... you might even be able to do that with a coating of polyurethane instead of epoxy.

Also, epoxy resins will cure completely in the presence of air (polyester resins won't) but I'm not positive that they require air to do that...probably not though.  If they did require air though, the tape might be blocking air getting to the back side, so it might help to remove the tape after all the layers had at least gelled so air could get to the area for a lot of the curing time and create a non-tacky/etc surface?

Diane B.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010 08:30:37 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
Bellazeus

Crochet pattern illiterate.

View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: April 29, 2010 06:17:37 PM »

Tried Brasso and car polish over the weekend.. neither did anything spectacular for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seriously in awe of the craft stashes that are on this forum.
I bow down to your awesomeness.
sandracb
« Reply #1537 on: May 02, 2010 05:00:32 PM »

recoat them in resin is the technique i use now.  They shine very awesome with a coat of resin on top but it takes a long time for them to be cured (about a day and a half to two days)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iheartcapnhook
« Reply #1538 on: May 03, 2010 02:34:15 PM »

This weekend I played quite a bit with glitter (and made quite a mess!).  I tried pouring half the mold, letting it dry, sprinkling glitter in with tweezers (a MESS and did not make nice piles), pouring a layer on top.  I tried with just a few stripes. Didn't work quite the way I had hoped.

One thought I had was glitter glue?  It would make nice clean lines.  Would it stick to the resin mold?  Would the resin react to the glue base?  Does anyone know?

Oh I am determined to make this work!  I will make a pendant with pink & black stripes if its the last thing I do! Cheesy

Thanks so much for the help and advice.   Smiley
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010 03:07:31 AM by iheartcapnhook » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sandracb
« Reply #1539 on: May 03, 2010 08:18:43 PM »

I had read somewhere that glitter glue doesnt work so hot because of the water thats in the glue, but never personally tried it.  I'd be interested to see if it does work though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 172 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Wavy Curls
How to Do Spiral Curls
How to Do Pin Curls
How to Perm Hair
How to Choose a Perm
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...