A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,324
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Why is this so bad?  (Read 3544 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

neko neko kitty
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2006 09:01:45 AM »

Yeah. I when I get weird looks, which happens quite often since I wear cat ears everyday (crazy cat lady indeed) I just mirror the look I'm getting just to get a reaction it's quite funny.
I can honestly say I rarely watch tv, granted I don't have one, but even when I do I'm working on something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2006 09:18:03 AM »

I'm a total TV head. I admit it.  I watch all kinds of crap....and I do mean crap! If it is a countdown, I'll watch it. I don't care what they are counting down....I'll get sucked in! Also, I can't tell you how many worthless shows on VH-1 I have been sucked into.  Oh it's sad....so very sad...  However, there was nothing better than 4th of July when I had the day off and there was a Project Runway marathon on TV! All I did all day was craft and watch TV.  I also TiVo a ton of craft shows which are fun to watch while crafting. The up side of being sucked into so much crap TV is I don't have to really pay attention to it so it is good background for crafting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2006 09:23:06 AM »

TheDishclothQueen: Wait! That's "crazy cat lady" criteria? Oops... xD I do that kinda stuff all the time saves money and you get something spiffy.

I told him that he should be proud that the woman he was going to marry someday was so thrifty, frugal, and ecconomical.  He just rolled his eyes.  

He knows better than to seriously argue with my knitting/crafting in general.  (Hell, he bought me a spinning wheel for Christmas a few years back--if that isn't love, I don't know what is!)  In fact, when we go on car trips, he won't let me drive, because he knows I like to knit and he'd feel bad taking that away from me.  (Besides, if I'm not knitting, I wave at every car we pass on the interstate and that drives him nuts  Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
neko neko kitty
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2006 09:44:03 AM »

TheDishclothQueen: Wait! That's "crazy cat lady" criteria? Oops... xD I do that kinda stuff all the time saves money and you get something spiffy.

I told him that he should be proud that the woman he was going to marry someday was so thrifty, frugal, and ecconomical.  He just rolled his eyes. 

He knows better than to seriously argue with my knitting/crafting in general.  (Hell, he bought me a spinning wheel for Christmas a few years back--if that isn't love, I don't know what is!)  In fact, when we go on car trips, he won't let me drive, because he knows I like to knit and he'd feel bad taking that away from me.  (Besides, if I'm not knitting, I wave at every car we pass on the interstate and that drives him nuts  Cheesy)
That's great. I really want to learn to spin! I can't knit while in the car when I'm with my boyfriend seeing as how I'm the driver, the one downfall of being in love with a legally blind man... can't knit in while driving. xD
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittingal

The Phantom of the Opera is there...*ooh, where?*

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2006 09:52:19 AM »

it's funny that i've just stumbled across this board because this topic of conversation came up Grin
in fact, i love the fact that i can (just about) make something wearable and individual.... take it as an insult?! heck no - take it as a very back handed compliment.... indeed i look forward to sharing my life with a huge stash of yarn, a couple of cats (and of course my friends and family)  Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit,
knit a lil scarf for me!
Cheesy
tomatedepingles
Recycled jewelry?

How eco-chic!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2006 10:44:07 AM »

The up side of being sucked into so much crap TV is I don't have to really pay attention to it so it is good background for crafting.

my thoughts exactly, actually Smiley
it's "tv tray art", Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rhiandmoi
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2006 11:14:54 AM »

rhiandmoi:I'm guessing he thought I'd cut myself off and not know what to do, but I love being around people so I'd never do that, but whatever

I do not mean to be a downer, but these things happen to the most fun loving and people loving people, and that is what makes it sad. That is when people think about you, stitching away in your rocker and sigh "She used to be so outgoing and fun, such a shame that she is alone with all those cats." 

If it makes you happy, be however you want to be. But it is sad when a fun outgoing person becomes a crazy cat lady with no freinds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neko neko kitty
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2006 11:18:18 AM »

rhiandmoi:I'm guessing he thought I'd cut myself off and not know what to do, but I love being around people so I'd never do that, but whatever

I do not mean to be a downer, but these things happen to the most fun loving and people loving people, and that is what makes it sad. That is when people think about you, stitching away in your rocker and sigh "She used to be so outgoing and fun, such a shame that she is alone with all those cats." 

If it makes you happy, be however you want to be. But it is sad when a fun outgoing person becomes a crazy cat lady with no freinds.
I wouldn't say I'm out going and I do see myself doing that on some days. I've always had 2 or 3 good friends that I'm highly attatched to. Plus a very active boyfriend who I am connected to the hip with so I'm not worried about that happening to me. But I know it does happen, and it is sad when it does.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meriellyn
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2006 07:59:52 AM »

Well, lots of people get isolated by following a more typical path, too...I'm sure we all have friends who got married, had a baby, and never left the house again (you know what I mean), and others who are single or married, knit or don't, cats or not, baby or none, who are still very socially engaged. I love the resurgence of women's knitting groups, with their looooong history of women working on crafts and bonding together. Knitting can be as social or unsocial as you want it to be, just like anything else. And cats are wonderful pets, they don't indicate anything about their owners other than compassion toward little furry nanimals! Some socially isolated people have cats, others choose cats because they aren't home enough for a dog! Choices of pets and hobbies are simply that...pets and hobbies, not the definition or cause of who you are.

And don't forget the workaholics. Many of them end up just as isolated as the other examples... it's just more "socially acceptable."

And I agree, your choise of pets and hobbies is your choice of pets and hobbies. They don't require that you meet any other criteria other than caring for that pat and enjoying that hobby. People are silly and love stereotypes. They're also generally too concerned with other people's perceptions of them. It's much more unhealthy and limiting to worry about being generally accepted at the expense of your true personal interests than it is to spend lots of time happily knitting and playing with kitties!

Hell, my life is much healthier now that I stay home and craft with my critters (I'm a cat person but I have cats, dogs, fish, and hamsters). People pick on me for sounding boring now when they hear I knit, crochet, read and critter wrangle in my free time (and go to school in my not-so-free time) but I'm happier and healthier than when I was doing acceptable things like watching too much tv, wasting too much time on the computer, and hanging out at the pub a lot. Tongue
Screw em... I can make a sock, knit a hat in two hours, treat a multitude of fish ailments, communicate with cats, and read a 500 page book in a day. That's all pretty cool if you ask me. (And accounting may not be as "cool" as my previous career path of multimedia design but I'm much happier with it and who do the cool people come running to when it's tax season? Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sandraregina

Knewbie knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2006 10:03:58 AM »

Also - and I was thinking of this while at home last night (for once) that it can be healthy to be on your own for a while. Not years alone, but a day or a weekend alone to recharge - its not the end of the world. People do not need to be with other people 24-7 to be 'healthy' and 'socialized' - a little down time to recharge is always good. And if you happen to be knitting with a cat on your lap instead of vegging in front of the t.v., that's even better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got knitting needles, and I'm not afraid to use them.

This year I'm doing the 'Na-No' again: www.nanowrimo.org
30 days + 50,000 words + No sleep + Too much caffeine = One Novel in One Month.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Adding Content to the Pages
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating Multiple Pages Using a Template
Extreme Website Makeover - Choosing Background Color and Alignment
Extreme Website Makeover - Editing a Layout in Fireworks®
Extreme Website Makeover - Creating a Tracing Image
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...