A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,041
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My carrying case for embroidery (lots of small pics)  (Read 2629 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 11, 2006 07:19:48 AM »

I needed a carrying case for my embroidery projects, and I couldn't find any that I liked, so I modified a kid's school binder to make one.  I'm really happy with how it turned out, so I thought I would share it.  Here's what I wanted in a case:

• holds 1-2 plastic pages from the StitchBow system, so that all floss for a project was in the case
  • room for my favorite hoop with a project in it
  • pocket for tools
  • easy place to put extra strands of thread that I'm working with
  • zipper closure
  • handle or strap

I found this binder at OfficeMax -- it's for school supplies, and it has a zipper closure and both a handle and a strap.  The brand is "CaseIt." 

Inside, I added two strips of velcro on the right side.  I used the loop part of the velcro (the part that is pokey, not the soft part). 

Then I stuck a piece of acrylic felt on the velcro -- I didn't add the other part of the velcro, the felt stuck all on its own.

Now I can just stick my working threads on the felt, and they stay there all on their own through the power of static cling.   I'd like to replace this with wool felt -- maybe half black and half white so that all my colors show up well -- , but acrylic was all I had on hand, and it works fine for now.

There's a pocket on the left side that I keep my large needlebook and other tools in.  I'm going to add a sheath for scissors and a loop for pen & pencil -- I haven't done that yet.

And I can put my plastic pages from the StitchBow system in the binder rings:

The binder has 1-1/2" rings, so there's plenty of room inside for my current project:

I'm very happy with how this case works.  It's way better than the plastic bag I was using to carry my embroidery in before!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006 08:10:01 AM »

Much cooler than my cross stitch picnic basket Wink  awesome idea for your current flosses!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovepaper
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006 12:31:19 PM »

Super efficient! I'm sure your new system will make you want to embroider even more now.
I just saw these pictures on Flickr this morning, how funny to find you twice in one day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

merwing

Push the button Frank.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006 12:45:05 PM »

this is awesome! what a great idea. I love that it's portable. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006 05:13:18 PM »

Thanks for all the nice comments!  I'm so pleased with how this case has worked out so far.  It's perfect.

ilovepaper -- what a funny coincidence that you saw my pictures twice in one day.  The internet really is smaller than we think.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nikobee
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006 09:35:17 PM »

Nifty version of the stitch bow binder!  I purchased my binder from Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon quite a while back when I fell in love with the Stitch Bow.... soooo easy!  And with the coupon it didn't hurt too bad Wink  ya gotta love not having to wind the floss on the stupid little cards!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006 05:36:48 PM »

I love the StitchBow system too!  I have two of their binders that I use to store the bulk of my floss in -- this binder is just for projects.  I'm totally with you on the hating the little cardboard thingies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nosnin
wayward victorian

Glitter and gloom...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006 06:46:29 PM »

That is an awsome idea, thanks for sharing! I think I'll do something like that.
Way to go! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TreeCactus

www.needlenthread.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006 07:28:01 PM »

Oh, wow!!! This is really a BRILLIANT idea!! !!! Super brilliant!

I don't like the stitch bow binders that are actually made for the system - they just seem really flimsy. But this is a great solution to the binder problem.

I really like the stitch bow bow-things. I, too, hate the square little cards!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tree
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
http://www.needlenthread.com
elizabethdee
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006 10:01:16 AM »

let me join the others, Katxena, in the cheers! what a smart design. so smart! wow.

i, too, have a couple of stitch bow binders and love them. it's great to be able to see all the floss colors, and i like being able to see them within their range (yes, even though i am hugely disorganized everywhere else, i do have them arranged according to the DMC color chart). no tangling, and no rewinding.

using all the Joann discount coupons for the system, i also bought the stitch bow travel bag,or whatever it's called, but it is not nearly as useful as what you came up with. i totally love your use of the felt. i've been using my so-called travel bag to store all my embroidery supplies, and now i want to copy your idea, if you don't mind??

and thanks to Nosnin, for bringing this thread back up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Try This Quick and Easy Braided Style for School
How to Create a Milkmaid Halo Plait Hairstyle
Try a Glam, Side Bun for Homecoming
Get a Faux Hawk Hairstyle
Knotted Hair Style Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...