A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,694
Currently Running With Scissors:
782 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: a present for a not-so-close friend?  (Read 1408 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tigercub_wabbit
« on: July 11, 2006 03:04:50 AM »

Hi all...
I just found out, about a week ago, thata friend (well... it's more complicated than that- she's the manager of a band I've been a roadie for for 4 years) is 4.5 months pregnant.
and now I ^HAVE^ to make her something....
I'm good with knitting (intermediate), some sewing, and drawing/ stencilling....
but I have no idea what to make  Undecided
I can't even start thinking if I  wanna make something for her or for the baby... I thought maybe something with child-related quotes from the band's songs, but..... they're not too sane... I dont know how much a pregnant person would like a present that says "Let's have children and put them in the garden like little lawn-gnomes" (excuse the horrible translation, it actually sounds good in hebrew)
any ideas?
moms-to-be, would you be creeped out to get something with that quote?
would you be creeped out to get anything from someone not- too- close to you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006 04:11:00 AM »

If you think she'd be creeped out by getting something from you given your relationship (or non-relationship), the you're off the hook, aren't you?

Otherwise, you could go the totally traditional way and knit her a soft baby blanket in pastel shades (I'm gagging as I write that).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
tigercub_wabbit
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006 04:31:17 AM »

I hope she won't be.. I don't think she would....
we're talking going with the band to have a drink after shows, having all their phone numbers in my cell and meeting for coffee when they're in my town- kinda roadie, so....
and a pastel shade baby blanket? not my or her style.....

I saw a felted diaper bag in some knitting magazine I thought might work.... but I thought shopping for more ideas couldn't hurt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006 05:17:20 AM »

Pastels aren't my preference, either, so that was a totally sarcastic (and unhelpful) suggestion.  Sorry!

If you do felting, how about a cool wall hanging for the nursery?
Knit or sew a set of different sized baby blocks.
You can always do a baby blanket in non-baby colors like black/olive/red
How about a black baby sweater?  You wouldn't have to worry about it being too girly or too boyish.
How about knitting her a nursing shawl or poncho?

Maybe these ideas are more helpful to you than my first post ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
MiaBlaze
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006 05:12:09 PM »

Hi! I'm new, but I'm going to respond anyhow...

I'm a fan of old fashioned wooden blocks. They're SUPER easy and cheap! Also- they tend to be hip because they're vintage, know what I mean? Go to the home repair place (The Orange Apron, is what I call them) and find 1.5" wood. It comes as a long piece, for stair banisters, actually. They can cut it there for you- have them cut it into a bunch of blocks (I give 12 at a time, usually). While you're there, buy polyurethane (not too shiny) and VERY fine sand paper.

Now, sit on your balcony with a gallon of wine and sand all four sides of each block. Furthermore, sand the edges so they're not sharp, but rounded. When you're done with all of them, do two coats of the polyurethane treatment. Then, go and find some baby stamps or alphabet stamps. Stamp all sides with a different picture or letter. Also, I like to rub lightly the actual edges of the blocks as well, kind of framing the stamped picture/letter. Then, add one more layer of polyurethane. Let dry.

Give as gift.

This is SUPER easy to do, and incredibly inexpensive. It really is the most ubiquitous baby gift I know.

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006 05:14:36 PM »

I do like that idea.  That is something that my kids could help with as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indigokat

Craftin' while they're nappin'

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006 08:57:04 PM »

Since you are not too close to her I don't think you should make her a diaper bag or something for her nursery - that is a little too personal - or better left for her to pick out according to her tastes. But I received gifts from people who knew my husband's band or from friends of friends who just have a lot of money (what's that?) and some of the things I got from these folks were so sweet and things I used a lot. Or they were really hip things that you couldn't buy in a ucky chain store so I loved it even more!

The suggestion for a blanket or some kind of snugglie is great! All babies need blankets or soft things to lay on for tummy time or for snuggling. Add your personal touch or design to this and make something that that kid may take off to college (or off on the road when they are in their own band)!

Or make a unique crafted softie out of your choice of fabrics (my friend made goth-y versions with her choice of fabric). I love this site and she offers free patterns. These things are adorable and ready made for your creative additions:
http://weewonderfuls.typepad.com/wee_wonderfuls/store/downloads.html

But a t-shirt with band lyrics is a wonderful idea and obviously something the mom would love. If you're afraid of the context of the lyrics not fitting with an infant's tee just put something like "Junior Roadie"
or "Band Name's Youngest Fan" or if they have a logo that you could play around with to add some baby icon, etc.

It is very sweet of you to think of her and she'll appreciate any gift for her little one!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back from hiatus and trying not to just lurk.
Ezri_B
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006 09:54:29 AM »

I thought maybe something with child-related quotes from the band's songs, but..... they're not too sane... I don't know how much a pregnant person would like a present that says "Let's have children and put them in the garden like little lawn-gnomes" (excuse the horrible translation, it actually sounds good in hebrew)

I personally think that quote is cute. I don't think it is creepy, especially being that it's lyrics.
That on a baby shirt, or blanket would be adorable. You could even make a lawn gnome stuffie to go with.
Or put that quote with a picture of a baby next to a lawn gnome and put that on a cute picture album that the mom can fill with pictures.

About giving her a gift at all, the fact that you're thinking about it means it's probably appropriate to give her a gift. Take it in reverse, would you find it creepy if you were having a baby and she gave you a gift? If the answer is  yes, then don't do it, otherwise go for it.

I think the diaper bag, and wall hanging are a bit too personal too in my opinion. The blocks are a great gift idea, blankets, a gender neutral sweater, hats, booties, or decorated socks, coin banks for jr to save money in, burp cloths, things like that can always  be used. For a really great gift take 3 or more items, make them in the same color scheme so they are like a set and you have an adorable gift. (And personally I love gnomes, so that would make a great theme too)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RecycleMicol
Phasing out my swaps for now. I'll swap again later!

Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or do without!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006 10:30:41 AM »

You might think along the lines of the 'Mini Rockstar in a Box' (or a decorated pringles can) from this Craftster Board:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=20191.0

Make it with a baby in mind...
Baby sunglasses
Crocheted spike wrist bands
Leopard print or black onesie
Crocheted fun fur mini boa
etc...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my Free Knitting Pattern for Hand Springs Fingerless Mitts:

View My Craft Blog

I'm finally on RAVELRY!  User ID RecycleMicol
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celebrity Hairstyles - Beyoncé Knowles
Finishing the Jessica Simpson Style
Spraying and Curling the Hair - Jessica Simpson
Diagonal Sectioning the Hair - Jessica Simpson
Sectioning the Hair - Jessica Simpson
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...