A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,133
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spherical plushie?  (Read 885 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BeePea
« on: July 11, 2006 12:28:47 AM »

Hello!

Firstly, i'd like to say how much I LOVE this forum. I've only been skulking around for a day but i'm in love!

Secondly- I want to attempt to make my first plushie and have two questions which I couldn't find answers for.

1) Has anyone ever done a beanie-baby autopsy and then used the basic patterns yourself to create a variation (with different fabric). Do you think this is possible? I'm tempted to buy a cheap beanie off of ebay and then pull it apart (if I have the heart to) to see how it's put together and then re-construct. Any horror stories with this idea?!

2) Spherical plushies. I've been inspired by work from here:

http://www.deviantart.com/view/33043436/

Is there any magical-forumla/pattern for a spherical plushie? Just a big ball of plushie-goodness? I know that if I attempt this alone I will end up with a non-symmetrical lump and some wasted fabric Sad I've looked all over the internet for bean-bag patterns, beanie patterns.. sphere patterns.. with no luck.

Any help would be very VERY much appreciated!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this Smiley

Love,
BeePea xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubbledragon
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006 07:35:51 AM »

You may want to take a peak at the orange-crate pincushion project that's being featured right now - that oughter get you started on spheres.  As far as I understand it, it's mostly like... 4 identical 'lemon shaped' pieces that get sewn together.  Add some ears in and you're good to go.

Never pulled apart a beanie baby or anything, but I honestly don't think it'll help you on your way to drafting your own pattern for stuffies.  You'd be better off to study some of the ones here, mess with the lines, and make bunches of mock ups with muslin until you get a 'base' that you're happy with and can change to variants on the 'four legs and a head' thing that most animals actually end up being.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bambridge Bears

The windows of the soul

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006 05:57:24 PM »

Looking at those pictures from your linkthey have 2 pieces with a dart at the top and bottom so that they form a cup shape so when you sew then together they are a ball.
the orginal shape would be more of an oval shape but that you would need to play around with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeePea
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006 11:51:41 AM »

Thank you both  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What a Grip Does on a Film Set
How to Key in Premiere Pro CS5
What Split Edits Are
Ken Burns on Technological Advances in Filmmaking
Ken Burns on Overcoming Filmmaking Obstacles
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...