A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,700
Currently Running With Scissors:
715 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harry Potter craft palooza! (kinda picture heavy, sorry!)  (Read 3993 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KnitChick1979
Antauri Fangirl

Going ghost!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 10, 2006 09:18:02 PM »

Rather than make a ton of posts for all the little HP related crafts I've made I'll just put a bunch right here.

In no particular order....

This was actually the simplest one.  I wanted a school bag to go with my Hermione costume.  In the 3rd movie she has a messenger style bag.  I found this plain bag at a weird little luggage store in Golf Mill for like $15, I carefully removed the logos it had and then painstakingly stitched the Hogwarts patch (from Patch Palace) on the flap (not easy since there's a pocket that I didn't want to accidentally close!).  I got lots of comments at the pre-release celebration last summer in Oak Park IL!  In the bathroom one mom wanted to know where I got it.  Smiley

My still-unnamed pygmy puff.  Right after the book came out the talk on the HPKnit list was all about how to knit pygmy puffs.  For mine I took some Lion Fisherman's Wool and knit it with some Fun Fur I had, then stuffed and felted it.  I later refined the pattern a bit, dying the wool to match the eyelash yarn and using Yarn Bee Wild Child instead.  I made a pink one (Strawberry color Wild Child and pink wool) and purple one (Port Wine Wild Child and purple wool), dubbed them "Gred" and "Forge" and gave them to James & Oliver Phelps this November when I met them during opening weekend of the movie.

The piccy above also gives a glimpse at my costume (storebought shirt and skirt and Mary Jane shoes, storebought sweater that I added knitted embroidery floss color bands to, and a robe that was my college graduation robe with hood, burgundy accents and a Patch Palace patch added).  I had lots of kids in awe of my costume that morning!

Another little added touch for my costume.  I know Hermione never seems to have any headbands or barrettes or anything in her hair but I go nuts if I don't have something pulling my hair back at least a little.  So I made some barrettes that would go with my costume.  I picked up a few yards of satin ribbon by the yard at Hobby Lobby in burgundy and gold, and a spool each of floral papery ribbon in those colors and started playing with the different barrette designs I like a lot.  I wear the big bow on the right the most, sometimes even when I just wear a plain HP tshirt.

These are my school books.  Can't be Hermione without a ton of books!  (I am really Hermione cuz I always have a book or ten on me, I have a hard time eating without a book open and I read really obscure and dry texts sometimes).  From left to right:

The book on the left is "Hogwarts: A History" (of course!)  Paper mache book box from Michael's, painted with brown, white, and gold acrylic Anita's paints.  I did all the lettering freeform. 

The middle book is "The Monster Book of Monsters", my interpretation.  We got this fake fur in at work and that's what came to mind, so I got the blue (my favourite color) and went over to crafts to grab a wooden book box (which seems to be deleted, darn it!).  I painted the inside white, glued the fur over the cover, then over the "pages" I glued white teeth and added a red tongue (both of felt).  The book didn't like to stay closed so I then got a package of the super-strong magnets and added those (painted white to blend in).  A few wiggly eyes and gold fabric paint title and he was done!  Got lots of comments on this too!

The last book is "The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 6".  The Home Accent department always seems to have some nice faux-leather look book boxes and last summer I managed to find one that had no title and was in good shape.  I took some of the gold Anita's paint and carefully added the title on the front (and Hermione's name on the inside) and that's it.

When not in my schoolbag the books reside in various spots on shelves in my room.

I've also made a couple of little Gryffindor color drawstring pouches, an attempt at a quill pen, a cell phone cozy for a swap, and more but I don't have piccies to post for those...yet!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mind over matter is nothing compared to hands-free refreshment!" ~Antauri

Help in the race to beat Alzheimer's!

Information for swap partners
iampoison
Tutorial Contributor

Just a jersey girl without the acid wash.

"I believe you are in league with the butcher..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006 10:23:14 PM »

Those children were in awe for a reason. You did a great job on everything. I love the the books are actually boxes. That way they are light weight and functional. Also...(fan girl freak out alert) OMG you got to meet "Fred" and "George"?! I am so jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just got flaked on for personal swaps so I am taking a break. ^_^; sorry everyone.
my shop: http://poisonandantidote.etsy.com/
eBay ID: rusty_buttons
My DA: http://chat-noir.deviantart.com/
My LJ: http://apatheticpoison.livejournal.com/
My wists: http://www.wists.com/iampoison
Ezri_B
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006 01:49:21 PM »

Also...(fan girl freak out alert) OMG you got to meet "Fred" and "George"?! I am so jealous!

I agree!!!!

All of your stuff looks really great. I love the pygmy puffs. My kids want me to make them out of fun fur and sew them, but I think crocheting them ( I don't knit) would be so much easier. I especially love their tongues! Your costume looks great! Books, everything! Nice job!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

spookytonberry
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006 11:51:01 AM »

Wow these are fantastic!!! I love the bag especially, great work on that Cheesy And I want a pigmypuff!! They're just so cute!!! ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
robotsxcanxlovextoo
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006 07:49:59 PM »

You met them?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
*faints*
LUCKY!!!
And omg those little furry thingys are SOOO adorable!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I too am strange and unusual...
SilverWing

dreamer of dreams...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006 08:16:17 PM »

That pic of you and the twins is great!  And I love all your crafts!  The moster book is my fav, second to the puffs, of course.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!

I <3 personal swaps!

SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006 06:46:15 AM »

Great job on all the items!  I am so jealous over you meeting the twins - I adore them!  Even if that makes me a dirty old lady. *snicker*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KMartKid

WakingUpKK.etsy.com

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007 07:45:27 PM »

Fred and George! So cool.  Your stuff is awesome.  I'm jealous I have to admit. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like apples.
CheyElizabeth
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007 09:50:53 PM »

omgomgomg you met james and oliver! woot!!! lovely hp crafts!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hippychiq
Who would've thought that someone like me Could've fallen in love so easily I know that you know that I know what I want I know I can't have it but give it a thought I know that it sounds crazy, baby But all I do is think of you.

hey there,how's life,well,mines just great.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007 10:41:06 AM »

OMG those are so great and i agree with many people u r so lucky to meet "Gred" and "Feorge" were where u when u meet them

Again great job

~xo~
   Madi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ginger Chicken in Parchment
How To Make Chicken Pho
How to Make a Gramercy Park Roll
How to Make a California Roll
Slow Marinated Salmon With a Soy-Ginger Glaze
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...