A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Marc Jacobs A06 Floppey Hat - Pattern HELP!  (Read 1965 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ohgastonmyhero
« on: July 10, 2006 02:15:03 PM »

(I originally posted this in the designer homage board, but was advised to try my luck here!)

Hello crafting goddesses (and you mightly gods, be you few and far between)

A call to all KNITTERS!

I'm in LOVE with Marc Jacobs' fall collection, particularly with this hat.  It MUST be simple to knit, though I've just entered the land of knitting after crocheting for many years:

If anyone can help me, it's you all!  Please point me in the direction of a pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tada!  My Etsy Shop is now open!

http://ohgastonmyhero.etsy.com
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006 02:23:42 PM »

A pic of the back would be helpful but...

It looks to me like it's probably just giant yarn knit in 1x1 rib REALLY long and then rolled up into a giant brim.

Edited to add:  I watched a video of the runway show, and yeah, that's called the Kubla Khan beret.  Basically, what it looks like is her basic stocking cap, only with a really pronounced rolled brim.  Actually, not quite a basic stocking cap.  It's made of huge yarn, and comes to a dull point at top by virtue of the four-per-row decreases that give it a sort of pyramid shape, sort of.  The brim is done in 1x1 rib, possible with twice the number of stitches as the top of the hat, and then rolled up to make the big brim, although it would probably be just as easy to make it just short enough to roll around something (washing might be a problem) as it would be to make it long enough to roll all the way up to form the brim all itself.  Basically what I'm getting at is:

Get yourself some yarn like Cleckheaton Gusto 10 or Rowan Big Wool, or this one from Elann:
http://secure.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Gjestal+Naturgarn+No%2E+1&Season=&Company=&Cat=&ProductType=5&OrderBy=&Count=19

Swatch it.  Figure out how many stitches you'll need to make, say, 21" around.  Double that and cast on for the ribbing, and work that for maybe, oh, 13" or so, depending on whether you want to roll it up on itself, or roll it around something, then do a decrease row to split your stitches in half, and start in on stockinette.  Probably work that for about 5", then start your pyramid-ish decreases, which is something i won't really be able to help you with without actually trying to work it out myself.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006 03:00:55 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
athenaknits?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006 02:49:06 PM »

I agree, it is probably super thick yarn in a basic k1p1 ribbed knit.  I bet it takes really big needles to acheive that look too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ohgastonmyhero
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006 07:23:34 AM »

Thank you SO much!  If it ever stops raining here in Toronto, I'm going to get myself to the yarn shop! Weeeee!  Will post pics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tada!  My Etsy Shop is now open!

http://ohgastonmyhero.etsy.com
hitbyabus

knit your own damn sweater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006 10:16:53 AM »

here's what this hat reminds me of:
<a href="http://knitlit.blogspot.com/2006/06/yarn-on-brain.html#links">knit lit: yarn on the brain</a>

great job on decoding that pattern lothruin. it sounds dead-on to me! i wonder what the orig retails for? any idea?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006 11:43:17 AM »

Well, if you see the back of the Kubla Khan beret, it's not like the one with the sea urchin shape.  If you watch the runway show you can see how it looks more like a sort of attila the hun hat.  There is another one, much similar, called the Mushroom Beret, that is actually the one that looks like a sea urchin.  And THAT one, probably is more like a beret.  I'm guessing it's just a really long bit of 1x1 rib, at one end decreased to remove the purl dips and then maybe decreased again and then gathered into a closed tube, and the other end with a brim to hold it on.  The tube should be quite long, and probably half again as big around as your head measurement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
mathgirl
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006 06:59:06 PM »

I'm trying to imagine what I would look like wearing that hat...probably like a mushroom. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lambsear
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006 09:18:46 PM »

You could use the same method of double decreases as are on this hat: , but use just four, evenly spaced, and that'd give you the pyramid shape.  Here's the link to the pattern: http://marniemaclean.com/patterns/Pismo/index.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lambsear
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006 02:55:34 PM »

BTW, I'd love to see what you come up with if you decide to tackle this; it's not really cold enough where I live for me to get much use out of it, but it's a great hat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
athenaknits?
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006 07:12:57 PM »

I was at the library today and ran across a book with something on the cover that made me think of this hat.  Here's a link so you can see the hat http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1561581992/103-6550492-7715021?v=glance&n=283155   (it's the red hat) I know it's not exactly the same thing but if you want the pattern for it, it's pretty simple, pm me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Highlighting your Hair
How to Make Emo Style Extensions
How to Do an Emo Haircut
Learn how to Care for Haircutting Equipment
Cutting Your Hair at Home
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...