A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Found that dress that I had to have...Now who knows how to make it?  (Read 2906 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mizbig
« on: July 10, 2006 01:19:43 PM »

Hi again all,

a few days back I posted a doodle of a dress that I had to have that I saw a woman on the subway wearing, who was plus-sized, like me. A few of you wonderful folks had some great ideas.  Now I have actually found the dress on www.sizeappeal.com. I still think that this is a make-able dress. I would buy it, but I would rather have it in yellow, and I think I could make it cheaper than I could buy it. Thoughts, anyone?

Here is the sizeappeal dress:

Any sewing or pattern ideas would be greatly appreciated! Oh, and does anyone know where I could order jersey fabric for less than 8 dollars a yard? This dress is made out of a rayon/lycra jersey. I was thinking about a nice t-shirt cotton kind of jersey...

Thanks! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
k8kre8s
hand-made, not slave-made

power to the cats

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006 01:27:41 PM »

you could try this: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=104089.0

seems to look similar and you can make it to any size/length you like Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GrandTheftUno
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006 07:11:58 PM »

I work in a fabric store and we are always getting knit ends for pretty cheap (between 2$ and 10$ per metre, Canadian). I would suggest checking ends bins at fabric stores and hunting until you find what you want. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mizbig
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006 09:51:12 AM »

Thank you!

OK. I am gonna give it a try this weekend. Even though the material is a jersey, I figure if I make a muslin mock-up and it looks half-way decent, then jersey will look good too...

wish me luck! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
therinennui
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006 10:56:52 AM »

Where are you? (haha) If you're anywhere near southwestern MA (I'd guess that you aren't, because you said "the subway" and not "the T" in your previous post, but it's always worth a shot...) there is a Jo-ann fabrics in South Attleboro that is having a moving sale. Everything is 40% off right now, and I think that percentage will keep rising. So, uh. That would be a good bet for inexpensive fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get thee to a nunnery!"
starlette13
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006 11:09:44 AM »

Thank you!

OK. I am gonna give it a try this weekend. Even though the material is a jersey, I figure if I make a muslin mock-up and it looks half-way decent, then jersey will look good too...

wish me luck! Tongue

don't forget that a lot of the dress's fit is going to come from the stretchyness of the jersey - muslin won't fall nearly the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OneAndOnlyLoser
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006 09:07:48 PM »

i bought a dress from sizeappeal once, and i was definitely disappointed with it. I think I got a shirt from there as well that was a big disappointment. Their clothes look so much better online than in real life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
talmina
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006 12:14:02 AM »

It looks a bit like the infinity dress actually.  I would try that pattern with shorter straps if you simply want a halterneck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006 01:26:36 PM »

Looks like the Marylin Monroe dress from "Some Like It Hot". Folkwear patterns has a version.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Makeup Tutorial: Copper Eyelids
How RHOBH Star Lisa Rinna Keeps Her Skin So Young
Miranda Kerr Reveals Her Simple Beauty Secrets
3 Simple Yet Glamorous Holiday Looks
Freeze Out Winter Skin Issues
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...