A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,024
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: travel journal for a 12 year old girl?  (Read 1278 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dancedupapillon
« on: July 10, 2006 11:40:04 AM »

I'm making a travel journal for a girl whom I "teach" art to.  She's a pretty remarkable kid.  She just finished grade 6 and she's already teaching herself japanese in her spare time.  She's leaving for Spain and England in a couple weeks, and I want her to keep a record of the things she sees and experiances.

I found a stationary store the other day in which they sold vintage-y travel stickers, like one would see on an old suitcase.  That gave me the idea to somehow faux-finish a little sketchbook or journal to look like a vintage suitcase and stick these stickers on.  The only problem is that I don't know how to go about it.  Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006 11:44:42 AM »

You can make the journal yourself, its pretty simple. This tutorial here takes you through it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
dancedupapillon
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006 11:51:45 AM »

I'm just afraid that if I make one, it won't be solid enough to survive the trip...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
bookishgrrl
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006 01:34:31 PM »

what a lovely idea! I've always had a soft spot for those vintage suitcases, covered with stickers! and at twelve, it's just the age when you really start journaling with detail and sass!

If you're not 100% confident of your bookbinding skills, I'd say definitely buy a decent album or journal. I recently bought one for someone with that purpose in mind--a nice, spiral bound sketchbook. the spiral binding would allow her to fill it up with momentos without stressing a traditional book binding and also make it easy to lay flat to write notes. if the journal you choose already has a "manilla" looking paper cover, it'd be pretty easy to stain it with tea or something to look more like an old suitcase and scuff it up with sandpaper.

if you decided to go with a more conventional journal, you could buy or make little belts to look like vintage suitcase straps (or even buy a purse from the goodwill to deconstruct for that purpose). you also might be able to find a handle in the craft supplies, or make one out of rope or a strip of leather?

if you want to make your own "faux" leather cover, one thing I've tried recently that was really cool was to paint textured wallpaper to look like tooled leather, kind of like this: http://www.creativewallcovering.com/28cd-525205-wallpaper.html
I painted it with a dark brown first, then washed it with a lighter brown on the high points. it looked great! I found my paper at Meijers (a department store like a super k-mart or target). it's also great for other projects, even just covering ugly boxes you have lying around.

dover books has a book of vintage travel labels: http://store.doverpublications.com/0486421945.html. they have it as stickers or as a cd-rom.

make sure she has a great pen! it doesn't have to be expensive, but something that draws and writes well.

Reader's Digest published a great book called "Sketching School" that would be very useful and inspiring for travel journaling. I got my copy used on amazon for less than $10.

I think the most important thing is that it remains functional and sturdy.

it's a wonderful idea! it sounds like she's a pretty cool girl, too.

Good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Aioli to Garnish Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
How to Plate a Roasted Chicken
How to Roast a Chicken
How to Make Chicken Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...