A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,889
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: EGL-style hair bows and wrist cuff w/ wrist cuff tutorial  (Read 11321 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hana no Ceres

*BOOM*<---and then there was Lolita.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 05, 2004 04:43:41 PM »

I made a lolita-style circle skirt about a month ago and had all this left over fabric- so I decided that I'd make some hair accessories and other stuff to start getting rid of all the left over fabric I have. Both the wrist cuff and the hair ties were my first... lots of trial and error. I didn't have any tutorials and just kind of went off what I could actually do while looking at designs that I've seen used by one of my favorite EGL designers.

The Bows
The bows on hair ties. You can't see the pink weaved trim, but it's on all the edges. It was what made me take forever on the bows because it was hand sewn.

Perspective, I guess ^v^ Just to see how big they are.

The Wrist Cuff

The decorations can be seen a bit better on this ((there's a creme colored rosette on it))

Underside.

If anyone asks, I'm willing to put up tutorials ^v^
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004 06:35:48 PM by Hana no Ceres » THIS ROCKS   Logged

With cold fingers I trace the tearstains on your cheek
In a trembling voice "Return to the sky" I repeat.
~Malice Mizer "Syunikiss"
pinkkittypiper
Bead Junkie

Can't cut a straight line to save my life...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004 04:46:16 PM »

So pretty! I would definitely like to see a tutorial on the wrist cuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where the wild things are is where I am most at home!
Wanna do a personal swap? PM me!!!
My wists: http://www.wists.com/pinkkittypiper
shenaboo30
Creative Cute

Hay Do I know U ?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004 04:46:22 PM »

Cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Me Not Hate Me
geekburger

I'm a Beastie!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004 05:06:29 PM »

ooh, wrist cuff please. thats cool looking and a patchwork one'd be awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafty Jule
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004 05:09:03 PM »

Those are beautiful, those cuffts would look awesome with a little simple t shirt dress even! 
I'd love to see a tute!

Jule
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hana no Ceres

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004 06:33:26 PM »

Wrist Cuff tutorial

--front is the side with the texture ((idealy the side of the fabric with the design)), back is white--

+Measure comfortably around your wrist and add about 2- 3 inches* ((this number can vary according to how much you want the fabric to bunch up after the elastic has been threaded))
+Decide how long you want the cuff and add about 2- 3 inches* ((this number can vary as well; the smaller the number, the higher the elastic will be towards the top of the cuff.))
+Take care of all the seams ((folding over twice and sewing... sealing them someway so that you have a clean seam how ever you chose))

You should now have something between a rectangle and a square like above ((depending on wrist measurement and whatever you chose to add)). Long cuff= rectangle; shorter cuff= nearly/basically a square

+Fold over what would be to top edge of the cuff and press

+Sew across the folded edge as show.
PLEASE NOTE: In the side view, there's like a slight pouch and stuff- I only did that to show where to sew. When you actually get to that, sew it flat.

The line just sewn is going to be the bottom of the pocket that will keep the elastic in place.

+Measure the width of the elastic you're planning on using. Add about 1/4- 1/2 inches to that and make a minor mark so you know the distance from the stitching done in 2b. Sew parallel to the stiching in 2b.

Now you should have a pocket that you can thread your elastic through. DON'T THREAD THE ELASTIC THROUGH YET If you want to add lace, trim, etc., do so now. After adding all the embelishments desired, wrap the elastic around where it's going to be on your arm or wrist, and cut how much you need. Put a pin on one edge- and what I've found to work really well with threading elastic is getting regular needle and thread and stitching the free end ((the one without the pin))- leaving a lot of extra thread with the needle still attached. Guide the needle through the pocket ((be careful not to poke yourself!)) and once you have the needle and thread outside of the pocket, pull the elastic through. ((it doesn't matter if the elastic is all the way through the pocket. As long as you still have the needle free, you can pull it through at any time)) Don't cut off the needle and thread! The following step is easiest if you keep the fabric as flat as possible because once it's bunched up, it's a pain in the neck.

+Sew the blue and green lines together. To do this, take both edges and hold them together so that the "front" is facing itself. DO NOT SEW THE POCKET CONTAINING THE ELASTIC CLOSED! ((oh I've been stupid and done this... u.u;Wink)

Pull the elastic with the sewing needle all the way through the hole now- the fabric should get bunched up now. Using the same needle and thread is usually a conveniant; sew the two edges of elastic together after making sure they didn't get twisted inside the little pocket. Sew the little pocket closed and turn the cuff inside out.

Success!

((if this wasn't clear, let me know and I'll see what I can do to make this better))
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004 06:36:52 PM by Hana no Ceres » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004 06:36:23 PM »

that's pretty cool.  you don't see a lot of cloth cuffs that aren't laced up the back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leentje
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004 12:18:48 AM »

nice manicure! I would love to paint my nails matching to my clothes, but since I'm being a tomboy today (to gym then work on vespas) I better wait till tomorrow. Very cute. x L
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hana no Ceres

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004 09:41:56 AM »

nice manicure! I would love to paint my nails matching to my clothes, but since I'm being a tomboy today (to gym then work on vespas) I better wait till tomorrow. Very cute. x L

Lol! Actually my nail polish is chipping. I think it's just the color with the light that made them look alright. The paint is peely... nuuu! My nails!

that's pretty cool.  you don't see a lot of cloth cuffs that aren't laced up the back.

Yeah- I've seen some like that, but I haven't gotten that good at sewing and putting on accessories ((like those little metal holes)) to make it a corset-style wrist cuff. Gotta start slow first n.n;; I'm sure it can be done to the one I gave the tutorial for, though. Just a little bit of modifying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shrinkwrap
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2004 03:13:56 PM »

Nice! EGL is sooo pretty.

And Mana<3 ^__^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

put your tinfoil hat on
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Pork Tenderloin
How to Make American Sushi
How to Make a Roasted Aphrodisiac Chicken
How to Make Turkey Meatballs
Better Bread Appetizer Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...