A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby food jars?  (Read 1335 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bleedingfingers
« on: July 09, 2006 04:17:13 PM »

I have a billion (ok, about 10) baby food jars that have been collected after many months of waitressing at not one, but two different restaurants (yes, at the same time).  I know I could something really crafty with them to take care of Christmas on my mother's side (6 aunts/uncles! yikes!).
The problem is, I can't think of a single thing to do to them...I'd hate to just paint the lids, because I can't paint...
Any ideas?  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emt95348
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006 04:18:19 PM »

candles!!! they would be adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A husband is someone who, after taking the trash out, gives the impression that he just cleaned the whole house.
jjm
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006 07:33:52 AM »

The above idea would be cute and add your own homemade label to them themed around each person that you're giving them to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006 07:41:31 AM »

You could make one of those spice jar/notions/nails & screws racks by attaching the lids to the bottom of a pretty shelf and screwing the jars on from underneath.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
SonjaBoo
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006 07:48:42 AM »

I saw a pattern in a magazine a few years ago (this is totally unhelpful because I can't remember which magazine, but I digress...) that used paper mache around baby food jars-- they made kind of an orb shape and made little snowman heads and little jack o lanterns and painted them and such.  Then they put a candle inside-- they were really cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LaughingLark
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006 08:18:58 AM »

Here's what I used to do with them--when my oldest boy was little, we did a lot of crafts together:

I would take three different colors of acrylic paint, squirt a little of each into the jar, screw the lid back on tightly enough that no paint would get out, and hand them to my son to shake the color around the sides of the glass part. The results looked marbleized.

Then, I would take the lids off, and let the jars dry thoroughly. After they were dry, I would  hot glue a piece of ribbon around the threaded part of the jar to hide it, and then my son would glue whatever he wanted onto the ribbon with craft glue--sequins, beads, buttons, whatever was in the crafting box at the time. 

We filled them with potpourri, and he gave them to his grandmas and aunts for Xmas one year. I don't have any pictures of these, because he was about three or four when we made them, and he is almost fifteen now. I do have a couple of them packed away somewhere, but probably could not find them easily.

The marbleizing was easy, fast, and fun to do. Maybe you could try something like that? If you also painted the lids, they might be a cute way to present a tiny gift to someone...maybe a tiny pair of earrings wrapped in some tissue paper and hidden inside the painted jar? A gift inside of a gift! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bleedingfingers
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006 10:08:12 AM »

thank you all soooo much!  i'm so glad i have you all to help me!  i'll probably end up using one if not more of these! Smiley Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewingLori
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006 10:18:24 AM »

If I am going to a baby shower for a friend that is having a girl, I usually make mommy/baby matching bracelets. I used my sons baby food jars for gift wrapping. I  paint the lids with that metal (the nickel color is my favorite) spray paint. Then around the jar part, i would wrap a 1 1/2 inch oragami paper, first, then a 1" paper sack colored paper around that, and then rafia to match the oragami (or scrapbook) paper. I fill the inside with glass marbles, or cellophane shreds, or something and then put the bracelets in there. It usually gets a great response. You know you never get tired of hearing, "You are so creative."

I also use them to store my buttons. I just paint the lids the colors of the buttons for added quirkiness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smegs
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006 10:22:30 AM »

You give presents to your aunts and uncles? I don't even give to cousins...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bleedingfingers
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006 10:44:37 AM »

You give presents to your aunts and uncles? I don't even give to cousins...
well, only to one side of the family...its more of a family thing...the gifts we make will be given to each family.  (if that makes sense)  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint a Building in Two-Point Perspective
How to Draw a Cartoon Face
How to Create a Silk Painting
How to Learn Fabric Painting Techniques
How to Apply Fabric Painting Stencils
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...