A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: obnoxiously simple fingerless gloves  (Read 213702 times)
Tags for this thread: fingerless_gloves , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2004 07:25:10 AM »

awesome version smeared ink.  your color choice is excellent.
katya- i've seen the kind of gloves you're talking about and patterns as well.  when i get home from school i'll poke around in my volume of knitting stuff and see if i can dig something up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flyhunnie7

too cool for the room

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2004 01:35:13 PM »

wow
for some reason, looking at them, they look so tricky for me (I'm a big spazzy kniitter) but reading the pattern it's actually muy simple. makes me excited.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leftist.feminist.ac tivist.journalist.
acesulfamek
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2004 10:14:36 PM »

There is a pattern for something like the removable-cap mittens in Knit Wit, a book that's out that's edited by the editor of Knitty.  They're called, I think, "The Sacred and the Profane" or some such clever thing.  Also, on Knitty.com there's a pattern called the "Broadstreet Gloves" which is a bit more complex - it's fingertipless, but with individual finger tube-stumps (does that make any sense?) and a cap that flips up and down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

foxglove
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2004 11:04:01 PM »

Very cute! Printed the instructions out and I'll go try them right away. I've been wanting to make something like this for awhile but I suck at double pointed needles, so I never tried. This looks easy enough for even me to try, haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
truthgracegroove
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2004 11:11:39 AM »

Thank you for the tutorial.  I'm making a pair now, and it is SO gratifying for the beginning knitter.

I had one (sort of stupid) question.  When you say to sew them up the sides, do you mean with an actual needle and thread? Or with the yarn?

Thanks for bearing with, this is my first non-scarf related activity.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004 11:12:29 PM by truthgracegroove » THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2004 06:24:51 AM »

First of all, these are great.

Secondly, I saw someone wearing these the other day and they had a sort of cap at the end, that could be put on or kept off. I don't know if I explained it well enough but it would look like mittens when the cap was on and fingerless gloves when it was off.

The one I saw had the glove part one colour and the cap part another colour. They looked really neat and would not be very difficult to knit I assume.
I think if you knit two pieces that that were rectangular shaped and then came to a rounded top and sewed those together, and then attached to the gloves, that should work. then on the back side of the glove, stick a piece of velcro, and the other side of the velcro to the top of the cap part, then when you dont want the cap over your fingers, it will stay back. I'm not a very experienced knitter, so I'm sure someone else can explain it better, or even make a pattern for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
foxglove
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2004 08:51:59 AM »

I had one (sort of stupid) question. When you say to sew them up the sides, do you mean with an actual needle and thread? Or with the yarn?

Sort of. There's a very handy thing called a tapestry needle that has a wide eye used for sewing-like activity in knitting. (Think attaching parts of sweaters together.) Use whatever yarn you used in the project to sew up the sides with the tapestry needle.

Anyway.. I wish I had my digital camera. I made three pairs of fingerless gloves and they turned out wonderfully! I was experimenting and discovered that using US 9 10" circulars achieves almost the same effect as the size 7 straights. I knit in stockinette for 28 rows and bound off, sewed it up and they fit perfectly. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
truthgracegroove
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2004 04:58:45 PM »

Thanks foxglove, very helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
useratl
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2004 01:56:28 AM »

If I may be so bold . . .

I just found the incomparable joy of wrist/armwarmers early this winter. I made the StitcN8itch, without the star, to incredible success.  These come in great on my computer oriented job where I FREEZE!!!  I was shocked at what a difference they make in my staying warmer at work!

This success led to a desire for actual armwarmers.  However, I have extremely skinny wrists, and I knew I didn't just want a straight tube, PLUS, I haven't quite graduated to proper circular/dpn knitting in the round. <wimp!>

I lucked upon the following site of the Fibre Guild of Locach in Australia .  . . and a look at historic knitting.

http://www.sca.org.au/fibre/projects/scoggers-hoggers.php

It was here they listed how to figure the measurements to make an armwarmer to fit YOU, or whomever.  The page itself is incredibly fascinating, the math itself is not as scary as it looks (and numbers usually make me run!), and my desire to have these fit caused me to truly do my first swatch and Like It! 

I used some WoolEase on straight needles, ribbed both ends, and cast on both together from a separate ball of yarn, to work together, so I could be sure they'd match.  Turned out to be incredibly easy and satisfying.  I would probably make the next pair a tad smaller, because they're still a bit looser than I'd like.

~fiber cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scream-a-little
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2004 03:34:59 AM »

Seeing these wrist warmers inspired me.. i made 3 pairs of ribbed ones. with my first dpn attempt Shocked i've gotten very comfortable with them.. each pair was scooped by my kids & a gf.. maybe i will get around to making a pair for myself Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One shoe can change your life"   Cinderella
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Ceramic Artist John Cheer
Meet Handcrafted Soap Artist La Shonda Tyree
How to Crochet a Boa Flower Scarf Part 2/2
How to Crochet a Boa Flower Scarf Part 1/2
How to Crochet a Snowflake Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...