A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crafty ways to de-stress?  (Read 1436 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

slurpymundae

qu'est-ce que fack?

View Profile WWW
« on: December 08, 2003 03:59:16 PM »

hey guys! crafting would usually be my way of de-stressing, but i am so busy with university exams and assignments that i don't really have the time (or the tools at the place i'm renting) to craft. what do you all do (that isn't too time-consuming) to de-stress?

-stace  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"need less, use less, we're asking for too much, i guess... i know, i know you've tried to change things. i know." -metric
recyclerdudette
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003 09:05:22 AM »

I understand your dilemma.  I'm in between semesters myself right now.  Crafting is a great way to de-stress and there are some projects that are quick and easy.  For example, hanging wire candle holders:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_organizing_photos/article/0,1801,HGTV_3139_1379738,00.html

They only take about an hour or so to make.  Plus,  there aren't alot of supplies and you don't have to have alot of space to make them.  

Hope that helps.   Good luck to you!!!!  BTW, what are you studying?  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not old, I'm VINTAGE!
slurpymundae

qu'est-ce que fack?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003 09:38:03 AM »

Those are so cool! I love the idea of the picture holders too. I'll have to give those a try! I'm in Media Studies at the University of Guelph-Humber. Lots of people haven't heard of it but it's a university honours degree and a college diploma in four years, so it's a LOT of work crammed into a shorter time frame. I love it to death though, it's a great program and it's at a VERY small school, very intimate setting and it's brand new. I'm sure you can relate to this time of year. But I'm done on Friday, thank goodness. Are you done exams already? What program are you in? Thanks so much for the idea! I'll be sure to post a picture once I get back home to my scanner.

-Stace
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"need less, use less, we're asking for too much, i guess... i know, i know you've tried to change things. i know." -metric
starstruq

Life is not black and white...it's GOLDEN!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003 11:54:37 AM »

what you really need is instant gratification!!  

When I get all stressed from final exams I want to whip something up with out any huge hassles so I can step back and say "gee...look how wonderful I am...now don't I feel better!!!"  
Try making record bowls.  there's been a lot of discussion here on craftster about them and there's full instructions here too.   They are soooo quick and easy (you do need an oven however)  but in a few minutes you have a little masterpiece!  And they make great gift baskets for really small gifts.  Just get some colored cellophane, tissue etc. and some pretty ribbon and you've got a super cute gift!  There's hundereds of uses for the little devils so not only will they make you feel a little more zen but are practical to boot!

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you dim your light to let someone else shine...the whole world gets a little bit darker.
recyclerdudette
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003 12:53:01 PM »

Stace - Media Studies sounds  interesting.  It's great that you love it...I think it's SO important to be passionate about what you do.  I've always been fascinated with media too. I have a  B.S. in Radio-TV.  Now, I'm working on my masters in Training & Development with a focus in technology (web-based training, performance improvement, etc...).  We didn't have any exams this semester...instead we had to compile a portfolio of research assignments and a training package.  It was due on Dec. 1st so I'm done for this semester.  Yipee!  So now I've been working on some crafting and DIY home improvement projects.

Starstruq - I love those record album bowls.  They are so cool.  I also like the album cover boxes too shown on the ReadyMade website:
http://www.readymademag.com/archives/lpprojects.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slurpymundae

qu'est-ce que fack?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003 10:56:07 AM »

Awesome! How far into your Masters are you? I also believe it's very important to do something you love for a living. However, I'd much rather do artistic things but I'm getting my education first because I don't know if my stuff is cool enough to sell for enough money to feed myself. Smiley One day we will see! Hahaha. Later!

-Stace
THIS ROCKS   Logged

recyclerdudette
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003 06:38:03 AM »

I have 8 more classes to complete my degree.  Hopefully, I will graduate next Spring but we'll see how it goes.  How far are you into your degree?

Best wishes to you with your education and your art!!!  Always believe in yourself and remember you can do anything you set your mind to do.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slurpymundae

qu'est-ce que fack?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2003 02:57:26 PM »

Awesome! Only 8 more classes, wow! Wish I could say the same, mine's a four year program, meaning 8 semesters in total, and I've just finished my first semester. On to semester two and then I'll be done first year! Exams are over, and I really kicked 'em where it counts. Haha! The marks come in on the 23rd, so I'm hoping I can maintain my scholarship, but it will be tough.

Anyways, I am SO GLAD to have time to craft now! I'm already about to make a new handbag and I'm going to finish up a hand-made notebook tonight. WOOHOO! What crafts are you going to make in the near future? Happy holidays to you, RD! Goodluck with your last 8 classes!

Thanks for the ideas guys!

-Stace
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003 03:00:01 PM by slurpymundae » THIS ROCKS   Logged

recyclerdudette
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003 06:13:36 AM »

Stace - You go girl!!!  I'm sure you did great on your exams.  Good luck making your handbag.  Let us know how it goes and post some pics if you get a chance.  

I'm making two small handbags for Christmas presents.  I also recently bought a wire jewelry making kit so I'm making some necklaces to give as gifts also.

Enjoy your time off and have a great holiday season!  

Jan
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lisa McMann on Her Book: Wake
Zoya Phan Talks About Her Book: Little Daughter
Kathleen Grissom Talks About the Inspiration Behind the Kitchen House
Novelist and Actor Eric Bogosian on Perforated Heart
Jodi Picoult Talks About the Inspiration Behind House Rules
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...