A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
413 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: College Dorm Walls  (Read 3648 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

verdemada
what IS a custom title???

give me a mini cooper or be another party pooper

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2006 09:46:15 AM »

I will be heading off to college in the fall this year, and I wanted to know if anyone has ideas for decorating the walls of my dorm.  I have a roommate, i think...so I guess that would be a factor in this, so if anyone has ideas that could incorporate her also that would be great! Of course any ideas would be great!

thanks!

ps - keep in mind i can't paint unfortunately  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Icemaiden
CSI addict!!

Annoy me...I'll set my pet sock,stripy, on you!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006 12:50:08 PM »

if you type 'dorm' into the search box,it should bring up heaps of previous threads,some of which may be of interest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall,ninety-nine bottles of beer.Swab one down,run it through CODIS,ninety-eight bottles of beer on the wall"

"Would you mind if I took a picture for my bite collection?"
"Whatever rubs your Buddha."

"Don't touch me.I'm evidence
evadedkiss

Gotta have my coffee <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006 08:27:31 AM »

tapestries, posters, rasterbations, collages...

You'll want a calendar and a cork board for important dates/projects.

If you have a lot of hats/scarves, get some 3m hooks and hang them up to add some color.

Use a beaded curtain above the head of your bed as a cheap alternative to a headboard. Use 3m hooks to place it where you want, then use a scarf or spare piece of fabric to cover the top.

If you get homesick, don't forget lots of pictures of friends and family from home!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Starsview
Queen of Procrastination

I've been meaning to make myself a crown...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006 02:04:12 PM »

The Rasterbator!
http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thats Mrs. McGonigal to you! No really! ✩10.25.09

wistsportfoliosketchbook
rusty spork
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006 02:08:25 PM »

BAH. starsview beat me to that website.

i know you can't paint, but here's a general tip my friend thought up...

buy some biiiig canvas, paint something nice and pleasant on it, add some rivets (waait grommits? i can't remember... the metal hole things) to the top and hang it (maybe with those 3M hooks) when you get there.

my friend is a very good painter, so of course this plan would work wonderfully for her - for me? eh not so much.

you could buy some fabric and hang that up...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knitem

For Narnia, and for Aslan!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006 03:42:21 PM »

One of my friends and her roomate drew on the walls with crayola washable crayons, course this requires you to wash the walls down at the end of the year and depending on how strict your school is you may have to wash them down at the end of each semester.  But it was pretty cute, just make sure and test it first.

Don't forget command hooks, they are the best for decorating, the come in all sizes too, my dad and i used the small command hooks and the plastic ties (occassionally used in movies as handcuffs because they don't come apart untill they're cut) to outline my closet in a rope light.  It was really cute and best of all no worries of coming into a dark room at night.

Also used command hooks to hold up fishing line and used cute, bright tiny clothespins to hang photos at the top of the wall.

Old fashioned scotch tape works pretty good too.  i like to skecth outfits and so i hung some of those up with it.  And hopefully my brother will finish his huge picture of Lothlorian and Rivendale so i can hang that up too.

Other than that anything bright and fun to liven up your bed including pillows, throws, and cute (odd or unusal) stuffed animals.

And if your closets are open like my school, you can spray paint a spring loaded shower curtain to match your stuff and hang cute curtains to cover it up.

Don't forget you can always add more throughout the semester.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rusty spork
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006 03:58:21 PM »

another thing, just make sure that your school isn't strict about things before you hang it up.

if you know they're coming around and checking things, maybe take down the christmas lights before you get a fine hahaha

but rope lights? those may pass.

maybe get some postcards to decorate your cabinet/closet door with? my sister did that and it was pretty cute and better than crappy wood!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aodhfionn

signed, sealed, delivered

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006 01:17:54 AM »

Be very, very careful with command hooks. Only use the 3M ones, as the cheap ones have very little sticking power.
Last semester, I had these awesome old-fashioned large christmas lights. I made the brillant decision to string them above my bed, using cheap hooks.
Early the next morning, a Saturday, I awoke to a slight pinching, burning sensation. I moved my leg away, figuring that there was a pin in the sheets. A few hours later, I stretched out my legs again, and felt a searing pain on my shin. I jumped out of bed the find that the lights had fallen down into my bed, and I had several third degree burns.

I bought 3M hooks, and never had a lick of trouble with them.

Also, some places judge your damages based on a sheet you fill out before/after you inhabit the room. Ask around a bit to find out what the unofficial policies are. My school was very low key, so people would merely write that there were tack hooks when there weren't, and then they'd put in all the tacks they wanted.
Also, you can use white toothpaste or even a tiny amount of white spackle to cover tack holes.

And don't preplan too much. Allow yourself wall space (and storage space!) to accumulate more things. I didn't, and my room went from full to bursting within two months Cheesy
And good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jellyfish8706

Let's make it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006 06:26:35 PM »

i made a pretty cool memento board for my dorm room, I don't have any pictures, but here's a link to the site that i stole the idea off of.  I really like it because it works surprisingly well and you don't have to mess with any push pins.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=1530&f=9167&q=memento+board&fromLocation=Search&DIMID=400001&SearchPage=1

Crate and barrel was charging about $35, but I made mine for 15!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/kitschcouturebykelly
verdemada
what IS a custom title???

give me a mini cooper or be another party pooper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006 09:06:36 AM »

wowza!!! all the great ideas!!! i can't wait to move in so i can get started. thanks for all the ideas especially the rasterbator. im simply addicted already i've made like four since yesterday! thanks so much for all the ideas
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Classic Bouncing Putty
How to Make Blue Playdough
How to Make Fake Blood with Golden Syrup
How to Make a Fake Mustache
How to Make Green Playdough
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...