A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Socks that fit! - Now with tutorial  (Read 44028 times)
Tags for this thread: socks , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

milobo
« on: July 08, 2006 11:06:27 PM »

I learnt to crochet socks a couple of months ago - here are a few of my finished ones. I use a toe up pattern with a short row heel, so there are no seams to sew and just two ends to weave in at the end. They work up fast and are very portable - I don't need stitch markers or a tape measure (just try them on as I go) so just need yarn and hook! I make them in half treble crochet (UK terminology) so that they are nice and stretchy. I actually prefer them to my knit socks.
http://static.flickr.com/69/174741972_c08f241918.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/72/170701724_1aea0e0dae.jpg

Tutorial - How to make crochet socks that fit!
(I will use US terminology for the tutorial, as that is probably what most people on this board use)

General Tips
I use sock weight yarn, a small hook and a stretchy stitch (half double crochet). I use a lot of negative ease as I like a snug fit (about 1 1/2 inches for circumference and one inch for length. You may want to modify this according to how you like your sock to fit, try it on after you have worked 4 or 5 inches and see!
I have played around with a lot of cuff stitches and have found that front post/ back post double crochet makes a nice stretchy cuff, that doesn't gape.
 My first couple of pairs were a bit tight around the instep and also had small holes in this area, I solved both of these problems by picking up a couple of extra stitches (as slip stitches) between the heel and the instep , and then decreasing these stitches a few rows later

The pattern
Measure your foot circumference (around the ball of your foot) and your foot length(inches)
Find your gauge in the round by crocheting a few rows in half double crochet (HDC) and finding out how many stitches per inch you have. Take one away from this number, and multiply by your foot circumference - this will be the total number of stitches you will be working with for the foot and cuff. I use the same number of stitches, and the same hooks size (2.5mm) no matter which sock yarn I use, and they all fit well, so once you get this bit right, you probably won't have to bother for your next pair (as long as you are using the roughly the same weight yarn)

Toe
Make a chain approximately 1.5 inches long, miss one chain, and slip stitch into back loops of the Ch, Ch1

HDC through top loops of starting Ch, 3 HDC (double increase) in Ch1, HDC in slip stitches, double increase in Ch1
Contine working in the round with a double increase at each side of toe until you have the required number of stitches
Foot
Continue working without increasing until your work measures 3 inches less than you foot length

Short row heel
Work until you are half way along bottom of sock
Flatten sock so that it is flat horizontally, mark the side stitches (I usually don't bother and just eyeball)
Work to marker, Ch1 turn
Work in SC to second marker, Ch1 turn
Decreases
Work SC across row leaving last stich unworked (one decrease) Ch1 turn
Contine to decrease in this manner until your heel measures approx 2 inches making sure you have an even number of decreases on each side ( I usually have 6 decreases on each side which look like steps)
Increases
Work across in SC to end of row, SC into side of "step", slip stitch into unworked stitch from previous row, turn skip slip stitch, work across in SC
Continue increasing in this manner until you have the same number of stiches as you started with and all steps have been worked
Cuff
Pick up 2 stitchs by slip stiching in the gap between the heel and the instep, HDC across instep stitches, pick up two stitches in gap on other side of instep, then contine working around cuff in HDC. After you have worked a few rows, decrease extra stitches over 2 rows, continue until jsut less than required height.
Work a few rows of back post/front post double crochet ribbing then fasten off.

This pattern can be used without modification with any stitch for the body and cuff of the sock - just try it on as you go to make sure you have a comfortable fit as different stitches will be more of less stretchy than HDC.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012 05:47:13 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sprayglue
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006 11:30:18 PM »

oh sweet!
 Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RubyTuesday
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006 01:08:12 AM »

Hey, they're great  Grin  ...first time i've seen crocheted socks!! where did you get the pattern from milobo?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cottontop
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006 01:24:43 AM »

WOW,I love them! All of them, cant even pick a favorite. (I have an unfulfilled sock fetish) I've only seen crocheted socks once before, yours are way nicer.

What kind of yarn did you use? Was it regular sock yarn weight? They look a little like pics I've seen of socks done with nalbinding (pre-knitting technique that Viking re-enactors love to do)

I am definitely bookmarking this, will try to make a pair with or without a pattern! (with would be great, though!)

Is that a shell stitch at the top of the first pair? What stitch is the edging/ cuff on the other two?
Congratulations, gorgeous socks!

--Cottontop
THIS ROCKS   Logged
milobo
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006 02:14:37 AM »

Thanks. I used a cross between  www.graftonfibers.c om/socks.htm and www.members.aol.com/Sbaycgoa/patsock.htm - more like the grafton fibres one, but with a double crochet (US = single crochet) short row heel, which I modified from the short row heel in the south bay crochet pattern. I used a scallop stitch for the cuff of the stripey sock, and used a front post/back post ribbing for the other cuffs. I found double crochet (US = single crochet) too stiff for the body of the sock, so I use half treble (US = half double). I use sock weight yarn and a size 2.5mm hook.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cottontop
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006 02:23:53 AM »

Thanks, milobo!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006 10:22:10 AM »

These are just wonderfully cute socks!  Thanks for shariing your photos and for adding the tutorial.  I hate checking for gauge, and love the idea of trying on as you go.  These are going on my "to try" list right now.  Love socks!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006 07:03:53 AM by ofenjen » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewhooked - quilt patterns, crochet & crafts
Fandom In Stitches - free multi-fandom quilt patterns by fans for fans (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Disney & More!)
gridley
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006 11:13:24 AM »

Awesome! I am gonna try some!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Former knitter,crocheter,potter, organized person with leisure time. Currently homeschooling mom of two who owns a restaurant and doesn't shower often.
SoonFamo-Artiste
Addict To Crafts.

I am crafty obsess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006 11:43:10 AM »

cute socks and cute yarn color
THIS ROCKS   Logged
milobo
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006 02:02:10 PM »

Thanks! The first two are yarn I dyed with food colouring, and the last one is lorna's laces in Vera
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Puppet Warp Tool on Adobe Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Mini Bridge Feature in Adobe Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Crop Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Content Aware Fill Tool on Adobe Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Brush Panel on Adobe Photoshop CS5
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...