A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: High Heeled Purse... Help!  (Read 513 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sophisticated Hippie
« on: July 06, 2006 12:33:25 PM »

I'm posting this question on both the shoe and purse boards because it's a combo question.  I am trying to come up with a way to use high heeled shoes as a base for trendy tote bags / purses.  I have several ideas for embellishing and details but I'm not sure where to start to apply the base fabric to the shoe.  Huh I do not have an upholstery machine so I need to try something that can be done by weak hands.  I had thought about an adhesive but I know how hard I am on purses and doubt any adhesive would hold up to my wear and tear.  I know the first few will be less than perfect but I would appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks for your time in replying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
BrightEyes_PR
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006 08:17:50 PM »

Hippie I'm ot quite sure what you mean Huh.  Is it possible for you to maybe sketch ot out to get an idea of what it is exactly you're asking for?

(edited to ask: Would the purse you make have a sort of lopsided/diagonal bottom due to the shape of the high heel?}
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006 08:22:56 PM by BrightEyes_PR » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for my 360 theme!!  http://my360theme.com/theme_detail.php?id=219

I never have an idle day,
New ideas come my way.
Don't know yet what I'll create,
But my imagination's great!
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006 12:26:27 PM »

I will attempt to load a picture... I dont have a lot of luck with pictures and message boards, lol.  This picture is similar to what I have in mind.  I have some boots and other high heeled shoes I want to use but this is the general idea.

I dont have an upholstery machine as I mentioned before and I'm afraid if I use adhesive to attach the fashion fabric to the sole it wont hold up to wear and tear.  I have tools to attach any snaps, rivets or other hardware.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
BrightEyes_PR
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006 12:49:06 PM »

Well I'm not sure if the following will help but in school we were given a project where we had to take some old shoes and cover them in fabric.  I think maybe it can give you an idea on how to get what you want.  We used a small flat screwdriver to separate the sole's edge from the heel.  We separated it about 1/4".  We then would take our fabric and pin it over the shoe marking it as necessary.  Then we'd take the fabric out and cut out on our marks leaving a small seam allowance.  (We'd also sew around the pattern to avoid fraying).  Then we applied glue to the inside of the sole and use the screwdriver to push in the fabric.  We'd also use clothespin while the glue would dry.  You wanna make sure to have a small wet towel around to help clean up messes before the glue dries.  I don't know, you may be able to use a similar process except you'd rip out the whole sole I guess.  Now remember, this is from a couple of years back, and we were taught to do things ghetto I'll admit, but they'd work. 
As for the glue, we used MagnaTac, but maybe you can use some sort of epoxy.  Whenever I ask around about which glue I can use to glue up things around my home that can take damage and not come apart and without having them fall down, I've been recommended "Go to Home Depot and get some of that epoxy.  It comes in two separate tubes and you gotta mix them."
Basically I think you'd just need to make a sturdy bag and glue on the heel really well.  The overall weight of your bag will be taken mainly by the straps and not the heel.  The heel will only take the weight when you put your bag down and then you can say it's helping press down on the glue.  Either way, I'd love to see what you make. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New ideas come my way.
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006 01:13:15 PM »

BrightEyes,
Thanks for the mini tutorial.  I something similar in mind.  I have to admit I didnt think about using the screw driver.  I think I was trying to make it more complicate than it needs to be, lol.  I ususally get most of my adhesives from the hardware store.  In general, much stronger, larger qty and better prices.  Your suggestions gave me some other ideas too about the process.  I'm going to take notes along the way and attempt to take pictures during the process.  How ever it turns out I will post the first trial.  I sincerely appreciate your time in responding to my question.
Have a great week!
SoHi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrightEyes_PR
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006 01:47:47 PM »

No prob and good luck!!

edited to add:  I was reading another post about I forgot what, but anyways they mentioned this site  www.thistothat.com  I was checking it out and remembered your question.  It may be possible you can figure out what type of glue to use there.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006 03:25:29 PM by BrightEyes_PR » THIS ROCKS   Logged

New ideas come my way.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the New Layer Palette in Photoshop CS4
Peachpit TV: Using the New Vibrance Adjustment Layer in CS4
Peachpit TV: Aligning Images in Photoshop CS4
Install the GIMP
Iron Man Speed Painting 2
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...