A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 305,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Goddess Tray....with a resin technique question  (Read 2424 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AliBeachGrl
« on: July 08, 2006 01:32:19 PM »

So I have been collecting pictures for several months now of goddesses & the such.  Today while I was checking for something else in the craftstore (isn't it always that way?  Go in for one lil thing & walk out with a whole buncha stuff you didn't eve know you needed!) I found this wooden tray for 40% off.  So I grabbed some purple paint & painted it.  Then I glued a few of the lovely ladies (I have a ton of these lil pics!) on the bottom.

close up of some of the pics...just cuz I love 'em!

So I think I will love it like this for a lil bit, but I want to put some glitter & maybe a couple of other trinkets on it & coat it with a resin or varnish type stuff.  Any one have any tips or tricks on using the resin?  I can read the directions, but I have a feeling someone on here can give me the inside scoop!  I so love Craftster!

Thanks in advance for any advice or warnings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds.
~Gilbert K. Chesterton
Veritas_rose
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006 11:22:51 AM »

I don't know much about resin, (which sucks, cause I really like it) but I use Mod Podge to seal my stuff. It's pretty reasonable, and they have a high gloss version that's awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once."
-William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar, Act II, Sc. 2, line 32."
stockholm syndrome
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006 12:30:17 PM »

Never used resin, sorry  Sad but your tray is really cute. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AliBeachGrl
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006 03:11:51 PM »

I might modge podge actually, but I was thinking about putting in trinkets & glitter & stuff & wanna try out resin.

If you are interested you should do a search on here under "resin'.  Its amazing how much info came up.  I love this site!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Gilbert K. Chesterton
ellen_a
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006 03:13:31 PM »

I play with resin sometimes.
I can try to answer but here are some questions.

What kind of resin do you have?
What kind of glitter are you using and are you trying to suspend it in the resin?
What sort of trinkets are you trying to put in--do you want them suspended within the resin or sitting directly on your goddesses?

Your tray is lovely.
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AliBeachGrl
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006 03:16:55 PM »

I was thinking suspended would look great.  I forget the stuff I got (its in the mail at the moment) I think its called easy cast.  If I understand it right I need to lay down a layer, add the stuff & then lay another layer....

& Thanks for the compliments on the tray!  & the advice...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Gilbert K. Chesterton
ellen_a
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006 03:32:19 PM »

If you ordered it by mail, it is most likely EasyCast which is a lovely product because it lets you use a 1:1 mixture of resin to hardener (very easy).  The directions that come with the package are very straight forward and will explain how to mix.  I mix my resin in disposable plastic cups and always wear gloves; I use measuring spoons to keep me somewhat accurate (although you do not have to be super-exact) and popsicle sticks for stirring.  The directions tell you to mix twice (in two cups) but I always skip this step and never have a problem.  While your resin is hardening, cover it with something (i.e. a large box top) to keep dust or other items out of it); I store mine in my closet so my cats can not bother it.  Mix slowly to prevent air bubbles and if you find some once the resin is on the tray, blow lightly on the resin or use a cool blow dryer at a bit of a distance.  Mix your resin thoroughly or it will be streaky. 

You are right about the layers--to suspend something in resin, first you cast a layer of resin, then after it hardens you place your item(s) and then add more resin around/over them.  For your tray, you'd first do some resin, then perhaps add some trinkets, then do some more resin until your trinkets were covered (make sure you consider the size of your tray and the size of your trinkets when figuring out how much resin to mix).  I don't know what you want to suspend, but you should consider the density of the item, as well as how porous it is.  For example--mushroom birds are not dense and are very porous--to cast one in resin, it can help to coat the mushroom bird with a very thin painted coat of resin mixture (to eliminate air bubbles) AND to cast your resin in many tiny layers  to prevent the bird from floating up and/or turning in the resin.  Sometimes it is helpful to laminate paper first--this way the resin will not discolor it or cause inks to bleed. 

I've never tried to suspend glitter in resin--maybe someone else will chime in.  I would imagine that if you mixed it into the actual resin, it would not remain suspended while the resin hardened and would float to the top.  This may be where many tiny layers of resin would come in hand--you could scatter glitter throughout them.  Or I could be very wrong on my glitter hypothesis.

Hope that helps--good luck!  Resin is superb! 
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moonfairy

Credendo Vides

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006 03:49:10 PM »

Wow, that is a beautiful tray  Shocked
Love the idea, I`m an all goddess girl myself (prefering the norse and celtic goddesses)  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stockholm syndrome
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006 04:37:25 PM »

Oh man, now I HAVE to get some resin and try something out, after reading ellen_a's post.  Shocked  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Setup Tips for Your New Camera
Talking Pictures: The Blue Lava of Indonesia
Survivors See Stolen Homelands 100 Years After The Armenian Genocide
4 Awesome Food Photography Tips
3 Tips to Up Your Photo Game For The Holidays
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Patriotic Table
Craft Challenge #114 - Pick It and Craft It!
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Paper Stars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...