A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,766
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help figuring out body size and pattern relation  (Read 1646 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BhamBaby

I'm as pure as the driven slush

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 08, 2006 10:14:46 AM »

Clear as mud?

Okay, I'm short, 4' 10", I have a large chest, big behind and a big round tummy due to giving birth to seven children and many surgeries. I've noticed since my last surgery that I am uneven. One side of my stomach sticks out further so I'm not comfy in wearing body skimming clothing. But if I wear anything that gathers below the boobies or 'floats' I look 20 years pregnant. I'm not really a shape unless round is considered a viable shape in patterns....which I'm doubting because I can't find that listing on any of them.

So what shapes or kinds of clothing looks good on a body that is not only pretty much one size from breast to thigh but is also short which makes me look daubed together in the first place? I'm tired of wasting time and money on patterns that never look right on me. I need direction please!!

On the upside, my behind is still firm, my boobs were brought by the boob fairy very late in life so they are still sorta proud of their status and I have no floppy skin on my arms or thighs. One restriction is that I can not show a lot of cleavage. I homeschool so I'm always bending or leaning over a child and I'd rather not suffocate them as well as scar them for life.

I'd also love some tips on what kind of fabrics are good. I live in the armpit of hell in Alabama and it's hot but I'm moving to New Orleans and  it's hotter there or rather more humid. I hate to sweat. Anything that will help there is a huge bonus!

Signed, clueless, depressed and almost naked in Dixieland

Thank you!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006 10:26:47 AM by BhamBaby » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ankea daami
morbidity

my secret is fatally gorgeous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006 10:24:03 AM »

First off:
New Orleans is the best place ever.
And I don't have any good ideas for patterns, sorry.
But for fabrics, go with cotton if at all possible.
it usually keeps me cool.
even in the NOLA summers.
- Jenni -
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BhamBaby

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006 10:28:50 AM »

I'm quite excited to be moving there. I love that city. Thanks for responding. Will def be looking at a lot of cotton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ankea daami
morbidity

my secret is fatally gorgeous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006 10:33:23 AM »

Ah me too. As soon as I turn 18, I'm there. *nod*
alright. I'll stopposting my obsession with New Orleans so you can get patterns.
 Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emt95348
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006 11:12:30 AM »

I have had three kids myself and have a nice tummy to go with it. I am 5'0" and have 36DD boobs! I too have a hard time finding patterns that not only fit but flatter as well. So I can't help much there. But I ambsolutely love rayon and rayon-like fabrics. They are lightweight, flow nicely and are super comfy.

I am totally jealous that you are moving to New Orleans! GO SAINTS!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A husband is someone who, after taking the trash out, gives the impression that he just cleaned the whole house.
therinennui
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006 12:06:43 PM »

I'm considerably taller than you and I have a pretty small chest for my size, but I have that bust/waist/hips about the same size thing going on, so here's my advice:

Cotton (100% or blends) or linen, and princess seams. Look for a pattern with princess seams that is made for shorter people if you can find one. (If not, adjust carefully!)

If you're looking for a top, get something that flares a little at the hips, it gives the illusion of a smaller waist. If you use cotton to make it, it shouldn't cling to any part of your body that you don't want it to but it won't look stiff. If you're planning on dresses, the same kind of thing goes, make sure the skirt is full.

Oh, and don't be afraid to look at vintage patterns, those women in the 50's really knew how to build a flattering dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get thee to a nunnery!"
BhamBaby

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006 09:33:38 PM »

Thanks therinennui! I was looking at vintage patterns today as a matter of fact. I do see what you are saying as far as the flattering fit with the illusion of the bigger skirt. I was looking at a 1955 shirt waist dress style, with the structured shoulders and wider hips. I may try it since I really liked it.

Emt, I will have to disagree with the Saints cheer. I feel that my alma mater of UA may toss me if I do a turn coat on them  Grin But to make up for it I'll have a crab boil in your honor and allow one person there to yell it out once if it helps lol

As to fabrics, can you line rayon or make stiff collars with it and still use it for a softer contour? Thanks for the tip!  I have so much to learn about how fabrics behave!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emt95348
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006 10:46:58 PM »

Perhaps we can arrange some craft swapping when you get all settled in. I would love any Saints items you can get your hands on, whether it's fabric, scrapbooking stuff, patches, whatever. Let me know. And good luck with your pattern search.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A husband is someone who, after taking the trash out, gives the impression that he just cleaned the whole house.
katyn
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006 03:19:19 AM »

Have a look at petitepluspatterns.com  If you click on catalog you end up with a list of patterns and down the right hand side there's links to a gallery, which shows lots of examples of garments on genuine normal padded people.  That may help you work out things that are more promising.

If you can get a hold of Burda "plus" magazine then you get many patterns for not much cost (other than the inconvenience of tracing them and adding seam allowances).  Those patterns are very true to size, and are in multiple sizes, so you should be able to trace off different sizes for shoulders, bust, waist and hips to get a garment that fits pretty well.

good luck,
Kate
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BhamBaby

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006 08:47:42 PM »

Kate, I think I love you! Thank you soooo much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Makes Product Design Work Meaningful
Design Week Columbus 2012
Waterfall Swing Designed in Brooklyn
Creating the Art of Pe Lang with Machines
What Makes Design Work Meaningful
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...