A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: North Battleford  (Read 4631 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2006 07:29:42 PM »

Hello.  My husband and I are seriously considering moving to North Battleford.  Is there any craftsters from there or familiar with the area?  I'm wondering if there is any craft or thrift stores and what sort of shopping is avaliable.  Also, the houses we are looking at would require serious renos and tlc.  Would basic supplies be a problem?  Any info would be much appreciated!

(and if anyone has a plug for the town, go for it - we are not sure what exactly we are doing, so any extra good/bad stuff is helpful.  All we know is that the water issue is fixed.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vampirategurrl08
I'm kind of a big deal.

That's how I roll!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006 09:58:29 PM »

Hi!

I live 1/2 hour out of North Battleford, but I go there a lot. I think it would be a rather nice place to live, a smallish city; I'll probably be moving there after I turn 18.

There a few good thrift stores: Second Debut down Territorial Drive, and Mennonite Community Closet down one the main streets. There are also a few pawn shops that have good craft supplies.
     Supplies for renovations would be no problem, there's Home Hardware as well as another lumber/home building center at the Co-op mall. It's a quiet place compared to the bigger cities, and the shopping isn't too bad.
     The Frontier Mall has a few good stores for shopping (Shopper's Drug Mart, Red Apple, Pennington's, Bentley bags, Warehouse One, etc), and there's a Wal-Mart.
     Downtown there's a grovery store, dollar store, thrift store, Jeans n' Joggers (clothing) and some restaurants etc.
     There are 3 main grocery stores: Sobeys, Co-op, and Wholesale.
     There are 2 malls: Co-op Territorial Mall (FF2 is a nice but rather expensive clothing store, a dollar store, and a bunch of other stuff, they have a nice cafeteria, but there's mostly old people there) and the Frontier Mall (it has 2 theatres and more stores).
     There's also a few sports clothing stores: Phoenix source for sports, and Factory Sports outlet.

I just kind of wrote everything in random order, but if you have any more questions, I'd be glad to answer them for you if i can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Torn apart at the seams and my dreams turn to tears.

http://www.wists.com/kyy08
vampirategurrl08
I'm kind of a big deal.

That's how I roll!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006 10:01:12 PM »

oh yeah, and there's also a Fabric Land...they recently sold to a new owner so I dont know if it's still going to be a Fabric Land...

anyways I'd still be glad to answer any questions  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006 10:08:00 PM »

Thank you vampirategurrl08!

That is tons of info, very good.  And yay on the fabricland (or whoever) - I dont actually know if I could live without that (sad, yes, but I feel I'm confessing to a sympathic group).  And I may have to take you up on your offer to answer more questions if any more crop up.  Good to have an insider's view, rather than relying on tourist info and realtors, who are sorta kinda entirely biased.    

Thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vampirategurrl08
I'm kind of a big deal.

That's how I roll!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006 11:05:54 PM »

no problemo!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

d
princesshammerhead

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006 08:51:20 PM »

What is your motivation to move there? Work? Family? Cheap housing? We moved to small, very small town Sask because of my husbands job. No craft stores, no dollar stores, no walmart Cry  However, our house was cheap compared to buying it in a larger centre, taxes are low, crime doesn't exist, litter is a thing of the past. So it does have it's bonuses. I must give you credit for 'checking it out first'. Had I known I would have stocked up like crazy. I get a lot of my supplies now through swappin' and my once a month 'craft run'. Good luck to you, d
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

http://princesshammerhead.blogspot.com/

Personal swap anyone?
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006 10:08:10 PM »

Thanks d.  Actually, it is cheap housing.  I live in Red Deer AB where there is this crazy real estate boom and if we sell here and buy inexpensive in sask, we could be debt free (student loans and mortgage).  And I loved Sask the times I've visited.  The funny thing is that we have gotten my in-laws interested in the house we were looking at and if we don't go for it, they might.  So much for ditching the family in Alberta.  The house, though, would be an incredibly huge, time-consuming project in itself to get it up to snuff.  Its old and hasn't been well-loved.  The ultimate recon!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

d
princesshammerhead

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006 10:20:30 PM »

I can so relate!! Our house was built in 1906. I have spent the last 6 years 'making' my husband re-store it. Finally we are done and are now on to the yard. My 'area'  Smiley What type of work do you guys do? south east sask is crying, litterly crying for oil field workers. Starting wage is now up to $30.00 an hour. Maybe, i could send you a newspaper? we could be neighbours, craft together...... Smiley d

rolls eyes.....in-laws Huh
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006 10:25:40 PM by d » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap anyone?
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006 10:26:58 PM »

What part?  My husband actually designs oilfield equipment, so it depends a lot on what manufacturing is in the area.  I would love to hear more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

d
princesshammerhead

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006 10:37:27 PM »

Here it's mostly the 'oil' as my husband says. the well heads and 'stuff' come from Alberta, as do the consultants and safety personnel. We live nearest to Weyburn/Estavan area which is just booming right now. As for manufacturing, i could check into it for you and see 'what's up' here on that end. Bonus, Sask people are so nice Wink d
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap anyone?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brenda Blethyn Talks About Mixed Fancies
David Alan Grier Talks About Barack Like Me
Joseph Maroon Talks About the Future of His Research
Ellen Crosby Reveals Where She Would Like to Be
Jeff Nichols Talks About Trainwreck
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...