A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,811
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bedroom Help *Attention All Wicked Decorators*  (Read 3662 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 07, 2006 03:25:55 PM »

Okay, so I want to re-do my room.  My parents are split up so I have two of them, and to give you all an idea of something I'd like I'll tell you what I'm doing at my mom's.  I'm going to paint my room black and red, two red walls, one balck, and the third will be a diamond pattern of both.  I'm reeeally influenced by music it's my passion so I'l going to but posters all over of all the bands I like.  It's going to be cool.  but I don't know what I can do at my dad's since he REALLY doesn't want me to paint it black or anything like that.  But I'm already doing it so I want to do something else.  I want it to be really quirky and out of the box, with a very weird theme.  But I don't have any ideas... since I'm so passionate about music I've been looking at the posters of bands I like and their music videos to pull a theme from but I've got nothing.... so to give you all an idea of what I like I'll list some of my favorite bands and let your magical minds go to work.  My Chemical Romance, The Used, 30 Seconds To Mars, Paramore, Matchbook Romance, System Of A Down, Billy Talent, Three Days Grace, and Slipknot just to name a few.  Pleeeease help me if you all could?? Thank you.
Conspiracy Theorist.

Gamers unite!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006 08:26:56 PM »

Try this. Pick 3 theme colors. 1 for the walls, one for basic decor, and one for accessories for the room. Using the color for the basic decor, try and find a bedspread, preferably quilted so that it will be thick. (clearance areas are great for this.) Then purchase several 3-D fabric paint bottle (very cheap) of a completely different color. Maybe a contrasting color. ( I prefer the "cheap but good" dimensional paints of either the TULIP company or Polymark company. ) Then place it on the floor and begin to write down some lyrics on it. The letters will of course be popping out like a credit card, but taht will add a happy touch to it. You know, make it more pleasing to the eye. Then get a lamp with a fairly bright bulb. Try to make sure it shows a white light not a yellow one. Buy a poster bord of the color for accessories. Cut the borad to make 3 rectangular pieces big enough to cover the lamp. The reason that you won't use 4 sides of a cube is because you want to be able to reach the lamps, on and off switch and have the cord pop out the back. Using an X-acto knife cut out either shapes or letters (maybe band names?) Now you can decorate the poster board if you want with stickers or designs painted on. Then make the cube with three sides by using some hot glue to glue it together on the inside. Then you take off the lamp's shade, make sure it's cord is facing the back of it, and place the cube over it like so: It should emitt the shapes or letters well. Smiley If you want more ideas just message me. I specialize in themed rooms immensly and I am very cheap XD

I wouldn't reccomend a roof on the cube mainly due to fear of flammable possibilities.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010 06:54:05 PM by pixieval - Reason: removed broken image tags » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sora: I've... I've been having these weird thoughts lately. Like...Is any of this real... Or not?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006 11:40:53 AM »

Ah, right up my ally! My room is burgundy, purple and black with lavender and bubblegum pink accents. Will your dad let you paint your walls a dark blue? That usually goes with most rock stuff. Also, if you get some cool frames for your band posters that always works. A bed canopy would add a lot as well. I got the black disco dot one from Spencers, and I think Hot Topic might have some that look like spider webs. And never underestimate cool curtains. (I still have blinds... boo.) Also, it always looks cool if you decorat the frame around your closet. I.E. I used a black curtain rod and draped royal purple fabric ($1 per yard at Wal Mart) all around the outside of the closet. Then I got artificial burgundy roses and twisted them all around the rod at the top. It makes a plain closet wall look pretty neat. Cool

"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once."
-William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar, Act II, Sc. 2, line 32."
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006 01:09:22 PM »

If you are going to paint a dark color, be prepared to put on several coats. I helped a teenage friend paint her bedroom in her favorite WNBA team colors.It took a coat of tinted primer AND two coats of paint for nice coverage.

I have had good luck using liquid starch to put fabric on walls. The instructions I used can be found at http://www.rentaldecorating.com/quick_fix_fabric_on_walls.htm

Quoted in case thelink goes dead:
   LINIT Starch OR LINIT Starch-n-Crafts Stiffener
   Clean sponge or paint roller
1.   Wash the wall to remove any dirt or film.
2.   Lightweight fabrics, such as polished cottons, ginghams, and chintzes, are easiest to use. Measure from the floor to the ceiling and add a couple extra inches.
3.   Cut the fabric accordingly. If fabric has a design, be sure to match the design before cutting the next panel as when using wallpaper.
4.   Pour starch into a clean pan or paint pan or spray on if using stiffener (see Tip section if using spray stiffener). Apply starch to the top half of the wall with a sponge, paint roller or spray on if using spray stiffener.
5.   Smooth fabric into place at the top of the wall, leaving about one inch to be trimmed later. Use push pins to hold the fabric temporarily in place. Apply more starch going down the wall as needed until you get to the floor, leave approximately one inch overlap at floor level.
6.   Apply starch to the top of the fabric, brushing and smoothing the fabric in place to remove bubbles and wrinkles. Be sure the starch penetrates the fabric evenly.
7.   Work your way down the panel, continuing to sponge or spray starch onto the wall, smoothing the fabric, and applying more starch.
8.   Position the second panel, matching the design along the edge. Repeat steps.
9.   Around windows and doors, leave a one inch overlap as with the ceiling and floor.
10.   Fabric overlap should be cut when the fabric is completely dry. It will then cut clean and easily and any shrinkage will have occurred before you trim.
When Using Stiffener in Spray Bottle: Be sure to mask edges of ceiling & floor to avoid over spray. 
To Remove Fabric From Wall: Peel one corner loose, then gently begin to peel the fabric off of the wall panel by panel. If the fabric does not peel easily, dampen the fabric with water using a wet sponge and it should come right off.
Whether you choose to cover your entire wall or only a portion, you will enjoy the look of a professionally decorated room, without the permanence of paint or wallpaper!

After I removed the fabric, I washed the walls to get the starch residue off.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006 10:06:39 PM »

Mmm post hardcore, pop punk design ideas *face lights up*
I am a music FANATIC (I like spelling it like that).
Idea 1) Try painting your walls purple...or if that is still to dark go with a crazy color like lime green, hot pink, bright orange or use all of the like this girl did...

Idea 2) Get your posters put in poster frames. I had lost about 3 posters to serious rips and wrinkles before those lil didies *cries for FOB and MCR posters*
3) A chalk wall on one of your walls so only one wall is black and the rest are a different color and you can draw on it. (Beware of what you draw)
4) Black light paint and splater effect. The wall can be almost any color for this effect and looks almost like a concert venue (or at least the ones near me).
5) Fabric paint and a black bed cover set and pillows/cases. Splater effect or draw on it.
Those are just some of the ideas I have *goes off to imagine own dream room*

don't think twice, it's alright

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006 10:32:27 PM »

my room is black and red with leopard and checkered accents. It sounds kinda mis-matched but it acutally looks cool. Red walls are cool, but the darker the color, the smaller it makes the room feel so if you have a small room already, I'd think twice before going as drastic as black.
I think going with a cool fabric is a good idea if pops wont let you paint. I have seen it done and it's pretty sweet. there are some pretty groovy fabrics out there too.
My room is covered in music posters (of which about 90% are Beatles.Smiley ) It's a good call to get the poster frames. they are cheap, look nice, and last forever. I also have one of those poster-shipping tubes in my closet that I keep posters in so I can rotate them in and out of the frames when I get tired of certain posters. It gives the room a nice little shake up every now and then. I highly recommend oversized posters. I have a life size Bob Dylan and larger than life-size beatles starring at me right now. very groovy. They make a good focal point and can be "framed" by being mounted (by a frame store) on foam core.
 Melting records and bending them at a 90 degree angles makes cool trinket shelves.
Oh, you know what I saw done on TV the other day that might be cool for your room? I am going to do it in mine I think. 1st you paint the surface (it's gotta be flat like a dresser, or bookshelf, textured walls might not work well). Then using spray adhesive you adhere lace of your choice. Then you spray paint over the whole thing and then peel the lace off. Comes out pretty sweet.
This is getting so long. The red and black thing totally got me going on all these ideas cause that is what my room is Smiley
okay one last idea: custom paint frames from the dollar store. yes. it's terribly fun.

Now the wintertime is coming,
The windows are filled with frost.
I went to tell everybody,
But I could not get across.
Well, I wanna be your lover, baby,
I don't wanna be your boss.
Don't say I never warned you
When your train gets lost.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006 10:56:13 AM »

Oh, the record/trinket shelves sound cool. How exactly do you do that?

Also, there's this really cool coffee shop I hang out in, and they're walls are deep blue, and they have gold trim and dark wood furniture. (They used to have a big black leather couch upstairs that Bob Dylan gave them.. but sadly, it got too trashed.) They then hung white paper lanterns from the ceiling to give this really cool golden light. Just an idea. It looked awesome.

"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once."
-William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar, Act II, Sc. 2, line 32."
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006 07:32:17 AM »

this might sound difficult, and it might be, but...

what if you took a more subtle approach at your dad's (he sounds a little like my dad, not wanting your walls to be black and stuff) You could keep the base color of your walls oh the lighter side, like maybe a nice warm white of some sort for the base color of the walls. But them you can add bold punches of color around your room by making GIANT stencils of various band things (ie: your favorite memeber of the band or a silhoette of the band together, their band logo, a giant guitar or some other instrument) and use these stencils to creat a pattern all around your room. Personally, I'd do the silhoette of the band memebers (like their standing right there in your room, but just a silhoette... I hope this makes sense) all around your room. I think that would pretty much rock.

if he's against bright colors, you can do them in a more subtle, maybe pearl-y, color.

Hope that helps a little, or at least gets the creative juices flowing.

*sigh* so is life, i've often said
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006 05:48:09 AM »

hanging vinyl records on a wall can look great.
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006 07:12:21 AM »

Okay I have a ton of ideas because you are describing my dream room right there! (If other people posted some of these ideas, sorry, I just didn't read all the posts so that would explain it a little.)

-Instead of 2 and 2, do 3 walls black and one red. Then buy a marker (silver, white, gold, black - as long as it shows up on the red) and doodle all over your red wall!! (If you're not the sketching/drawing type, go to town with quotes, music lyrics, song notes, etc.)
-Splatter paint's awesome. So is spray paint.
-Make one of your walls (or a door) a CD wall - hot glue a bunch of CD's (shiny side up) to your wall/door.
-Sticker/Collage wall!! Print out pictures of your favorite bands (or cut them out from magazines, friends, other stuff you like, and put them all over one of your walls! You could also put stickers - band stickers, the ones you get from the little vending machine things, etc.

- Polka dots! Buy a WHITE comforter/down blanket (yes, breaking the monotony of red and black a little) and sew/silk screen black dots onto it, or buy a premade one (no idea where)
- If that's not possible, whatever wall color is dominating your room, use the opposite (so if you have more red wall than black, use a black comforter). Red accent pillows are awesome. Find song lyric pillowcases (like sheet music) or make your own!!

-At Bed Bath & Beyond, they have plastic crates, bins, baskets, etc. that have a bubble pattern. Great for storage!
-Feather boas are awesome. Use them however you want.
-eBay has a bunch of posters, tees, pins, etc. of different bands and singers. For example, I am obsessed with Linkin Park. I did a search and came up with almost a thousand items! NOTE: Like you, I also like Paramore, but they don't have that much for them on eBay.
-Hot Topic and Spencers are great for accessories to tie it all together! Urban Outfitters also has some good ones too.

That's all I've got. Sorry for the lack of furniture ideas! I really hope these help you and I absolutely LOVE your room idea!!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design the Flash Messaging Area in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Create a Navigation Bar in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Create a Header in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Divide Sections by Color in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Set Layout Size and Guide Lines in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...