A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plastic dry cleaner bags + wire coat hangers=Poodle; Need Help!  (Read 13064 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bethsoriginals

Maids Gone Wild

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2006 12:58:28 PM »

I have been searching for a long time trying to find the instructions to make a poodle out of plastic dry cleaner bags and wire coat hangers. When I was in Girl Scouts (a very long time ago), one of my Mother's friends made them and sold them.  All I really remember is that the "body" frame was made out of the wire, and maybe the bags were cut in strips and attached, like rug hooking?
Does anyone know what I am talking about?
Help is much appreciated!
 Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy seller id: greeneyezdesignz
bethsoriginals

Maids Gone Wild

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006 11:07:47 AM »

I forgot I had a picture of the plastic bag poodle in my photos, duh! And I do not remember where I got it from. Anyway, here it is:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010 12:21:21 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunshineknits
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006 12:21:30 PM »

that is the single greatest thing i have ever seen Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just because some of us can read and write and do a little math, that doesn't mean we deserve to conquer the Universe."
-Kurt Vonnegut Jr.  (1922-2007)
karmikins
Danyell Wilbur of H&C Boutique

Turn on, tune in, drop out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006 12:49:58 PM »

Oh my gosh, I'd love to make one of those. I'll start searching, too. If I find anything I'll let you know.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Karmikins™: Because Knowing is Half the Battle
bethsoriginals

Maids Gone Wild

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006 01:43:06 PM »

I now think maybe they made pom poms! I have to dig out my old pom pom makers. Maybe since I don't have any cleaners bags, I will use white trash bags. I have an idea how to cut the bags so they wil make a long, long strip need to make the pom pom.
Also, use a white wire coat hanger. or white duct tape on a brown hanger.
Wow! I am so ready to make one of these!
I will post pics of my progress; probably next week. Hubbie and I are going to bar-b-que tonite.
Thanks for the comments and suggestions! Keep 'em coming!
 Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mintbamboo
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006 01:52:40 PM »

this may or may not be how the pompoms were made, but i made a cat out of yarn years ago, and to make the pompoms, i had a rectangle cut out of cardboard, with a smaller rectangle cut out of its center. i wrapped yarn around it width-wise (around the shorter ends), and when it was thick enough, i tied a piece of yarn around the middle of the wrapped yarn (thats what the cut out rectangle in the middle was for) and then cut the yarn across the top and bottom, puffed it out a bit, and i had a pompom. you might be able to figure out a way to do this with the plastic bags.... if you need me to be more specific, just ask

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm your fool
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006 11:57:14 PM »

That looks like it is made out of wedding flowers, the kind made out of tissues (a couple layers)accordion fold, tie in the middle and carefully pull apart the layers and fluff up, obviously one would just cut up the bag into tissue sized squares and stack about 4 layers but you may need to do some research on the number of layers cause I cant remember how many tissues were used I was very young and when I got married these things were ready made and just needed  fluffing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006 04:28:55 PM »

Being a new poodle mommy - that is soooo adorable - and kind of weird at the same time.  I will have to ask my mother if she has made one of these - knowing her she has - or knows someone who has...

I would also love to know how to make those!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006 11:33:16 PM »

your photos from here http://www.antiqnet.com/detail,,299942.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
bethsoriginals

Maids Gone Wild

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006 09:02:53 AM »

Thanks! Too bad it sold! Anyway, when I get a little time, I am going to make one. I have thought about not only using plastic bags, but maybe some fake flowers, or using ribbon and making the pom poms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006 02:10:22 PM »

Did anyone ever figure out how to make this poodle?  I was just thinking of it today and loving it - in a kitschy kind of a way!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
bethsoriginals

Maids Gone Wild

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006 05:32:28 PM »

I think I have figured it out, just have not had time to do it. I can tell you this, it will be made with 2 metal coat hangers and some plastic bags. I save all of the bags that our daily newspaper comes in. There are some great colors, besides plain ol white! I have pink, gray, tan, and others. I have also bought some plastic eyes and dog noses at Hobby Lobby...luv that store!
Looks like the coat hangers are bent, cut, and tied together with wire. Then wrap the wire poodle frame with lots of strips of the plastic. Make pompoms, tie them on, attach nose and eyes.
Wha cha think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hollow Shel
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006 05:47:26 AM »

I think I have figured it out, just have not had time to do it. I can tell you this, it will be made with 2 metal coat hangers and some plastic bags. I save all of the bags that our daily newspaper comes in. There are some great colors, besides plain ol white! I have pink, gray, tan, and others. I have also bought some plastic eyes and dog noses at Hobby Lobby...luv that store!
Looks like the coat hangers are bent, cut, and tied together with wire. Then wrap the wire poodle frame with lots of strips of the plastic. Make pompoms, tie them on, attach nose and eyes.
Wha cha think?

Sounds about like how I'd do it. The most "fiddly bit" appears to be the head - I think you'd need a small form (perhaps styrofoam? maybe a plastic drinking glass? You'd have to stuff the latter to keep it from collapsing)  OR you'd have to do a whole lot of wrapping bags onto the head to bulk it out enough. Either way it looks like they finished it with a final couple of layers that go lengthwise down the head, over the nose, and down the other side.
Can't wait to see a finished project, this is neat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive...

Bringing sexy back for a refund. It really just wasn't "me".
Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006 05:47:14 AM »

Here is something that just came up on the thrifty fun newlsetter - occasionally there is a diamond hiding among all that coal..

I believe this is on the same line - might take some of the mystery out of it all!

yarn dog
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006 05:51:36 AM by craftydeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
mintbamboo
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006 02:17:16 PM »

ahh the link that craftydeb posted has what i was talking about when i first replied to your post. if you look at the pictures on that link... if you take a cardboard rectangle like that, but cut out a rectangle from the centre so that you have a frame and you wrap, in your case, lots of thin plastic strips tied together around it like in the picture on that link, (the one with the carboard that says 'body wrap' on it)... if you do that, then tie (very tightly!) the plastic together in the middle of the bundle, then cut along the top and bottom of the bundle and poof it out, you have a pompom! figure out a way to attatch it to the wire, and theres the dog!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm your fool
bethsoriginals

Maids Gone Wild

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006 03:39:19 PM »

I think this will work! I had not figured out exactly how to bend the coat hangers. P.S. I just now have been able to get back online. My hard drive DIED last week! What a pain to get everything set up! I lost all of my pics and documents. A major lesson learned from being a procrastinator!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karmikins
Danyell Wilbur of H&C Boutique

Turn on, tune in, drop out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006 12:58:58 PM »

Two pairs of majorly heavy-duty pliers (put the strain on the pliers, not your wrists) and an open flame (candle)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Karmikins™: Because Knowing is Half the Battle
SixtiesDiva

Live, Love, Laugh

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007 08:25:11 PM »

Here is a similar pattern for a poodle made of dry cleaners bags and a bath towel, it looks a lot like the picture except for the towel part.  It is from a craft booklet published in 1964 called 99-Plus Plastic Projects.  If anyone makes it please post a picture! http://www.carolstreasures.com/GiftsForAll/PerkyPierre.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SixtiesDiva

Live, Love, Laugh

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007 12:50:34 PM »

Here is another link for the poodle.  I didn't have all the pages on the last one.  This shows how to cut and gather the plastic bags.  There are also pictures of other crafty things to do with those plastic bags.
http://www.carolstreasures.com/GiftsForAll/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JodiHendon
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007 09:59:31 PM »

I remember making these back in the early 60s.  I think the instructions somebody posted were pretty much the way we did.  We folded plastic bags accordian style and made pom-poms--bit ones for the head and body and little ones for the legs.

I thought I was the only person who remembered these things.  I wish I remembered more, but mostly I remember buying blue plastic bags from the dry cleaner for about a penny each.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bethsoriginals

Maids Gone Wild

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008 08:54:36 AM »

I think I finally found the directions! I purchased a copy of the instructions on Ebay.
Just search this:
Vintage Craft Pattern Pompon Poodle CUTE!
The copy of the pattern is only $3.00, including shipping.
Let me know!
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DappledThings
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008 07:36:44 PM »

Holy cow! I've been looking high and low for these instructions forever! I just joined another forum tonight to ask if anyone remembered them. I received several as a child, late '50's or early 60's; they looked a little different than the photo in a previous post but they were a major craft gift in this area (Texas) during that time.
They were either made of blue drycleaner bags or sometimes netting, about 12 inches tall at the head and meant to sit on the bed and look pretty. I'm so glad I found this! Thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nixiefee
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008 08:22:42 AM »

Would love to see the finished product...and find out if I can purchase a copy of those instructions from you.  Can't seem to find them on Ebay anymore.

Waiting with baited breath,

Nixie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bethsoriginals

Maids Gone Wild

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008 12:06:03 PM »

I just checked on Ebay and there is a copy for sale,from the same person.
Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ALS54
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009 11:05:16 AM »

I made these dry cleaner bag poodles when I was young back in the 60's. I have been looking for the detailed directions to make these once again. I know they were made of dry cleaner bags and they are pompoms. I just don't remember how many it took and what size they were. We wrapped any hanger with white sheet strips. The pompoms were thinker than the one pictured and they were not patchy like the pic.  I would love to find the details on the directions of how to make these poodles. I may not always get back to this website. If anyone one comes up with it, please email me at aliceascott@hotmail.com
Thank you  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nora Bybee
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2009 11:05:26 PM »

O M G!!!!!! I have been searching for YEARS for this pattern, if someone would be soooo generous as to give me a copy of the instructions, I would be so very happy. I have looked everywhere and asked all my remaining family members about this but my grandmother and her sister was the only ones who knew how to do it and they kept it a secret. Both of them are now passed and along with them went the instructions. Please help me relive this childhood memory and share with me.
Thanks so very much and have a Happy New Year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bethsoriginals

Maids Gone Wild

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010 05:31:21 PM »

Well, I am very happy to say that I FINALLY found the original instructions! I will post again when the copies are ready for sale.
I have not done too much crafting or posting in the last year, as I lost my dear Mother.
Hang in there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Silk Dye Eggs For Easter
How to Upcycle Plastic Bottles Into Flowers
How to Make Creative Birthday Invitations
How to Make a Birthday Pinata
How to Make a Mad Scientist Costume For Halloween
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...