A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sizzle KAL!!  (Read 10315 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2006 06:24:43 PM »

I think the knitting gremlins are in this project. I just finished the increases of the back and am ready to begin the armhole shaping. I took the measurement of the piece so far and the length is 12 inches, about 3.5 inches shy of the 15.5 specified on the schematics. After fooling around with both the tape measure and some yarn cut to the finished length, the final length of 23 inches (making the XL here) will work nicely, but that will only occur if I add the 3.5 inches. I am fine with that, but here are my questions:

1. should I put the extra 3.5 inches between the decreases and increases, making the last increase fall on the bust line OR should I put the extra 3.5 inches after the increases (like the back)? The first one makes more sense to me.

2. should I begin the V at the 12 inches the way that the pattern says or not? I am not sure about this one.

Honestly, I am really feeling like a shit knitter after this one, but I don't know what to do.

Jill

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitty824
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2006 07:16:17 PM »

I guess both depend on how long your torso is -- you could end up with the decreases/increases too low on your body or with a too-long middle section.  but I'm sure one of those options will work out fine.  I'm just starting the decreases on the back and already I know that my row gauge is higher than the pattern's.  I'd been thinking that I'd just do my decreases/increases every 7 rows to compensate, but now I'm wondering about how to make them on the purl sides in a way that they'll match up with the RS decreases/increases.  maybe I'll just add two extra rows in every other set -- though that might look weird.  I'll have to think about it and take a few more measurements. 

not sure what to tell you about the V because it will depend on your calcs with your row gauge and how many rows you end up with on the back piece.  (and where you want it to fall on your body)

I think fitted things are a lot harder because our bodies are all so different.  (stupid bodies)

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sosidegal
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2006 06:30:52 PM »

Oh I just got the yarn in...  I'm gonna start right now, I'll post progress tomorrow.  How is everyone else coming along??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brook Smiley
check me out at http://sosidegal.blogspot.com/
BeginnerKnitter
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2006 06:45:39 PM »

Here's an update on my progress:
I am working with Shine Sport. The yarn is super-soft and easy to work with. I made gauge swatches with size 5 and size 7 US needles. Neither of those were right so I'm working on size 6 US right now. I've hit gauge as close as possible.

I'm at the 4 inches to start the shaping, but I'm going to add an extra inch since I have a very long torso.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitty824
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2006 08:13:21 PM »

here's my progress pic.  using cathay on size 5s & I'm up to my third decrease.  (the stitches aren't so even since I'm knitting directly from an old project -- lazy!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockadot
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2006 09:02:24 PM »

I got my yarn today, Elann Sonata. When I swatched on the size 7 needles, the fabric was far too open--it was practically see through. I guess I need to go down a needle size, but I'm not sure how to work the math with the darts and such...anu suggestions/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ijsblokje
is superbacana

gypsy punk

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2006 01:36:20 AM »

damn, I'm almost finished with the front.  How exciting!

I have learned my lesson though: don't use an old worn out tape measure.  It was half and inch shorter than it ought to have been.  Meaning that, when I first split the front for the neck, it was 11.5" even though my tap measure said it was 12".  liar....   So unfortunately, I had to undo pretty much all of the neck that I had finished and restart it half an inch later.    At least the neck area goes quickly.  I'm aiming on finishing the front tomorrow.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitty824
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2006 05:20:55 AM »

can't wait to see it, ijsblokje!

rockadot, if you go down a needle size, maybe all you have to do is use the instructions for a size larger than you want?  you'll have to do the math to make sure that's right, though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sosidegal
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2006 07:49:12 AM »

It's official... I'm retarded!  I swatched with my new yarn last night and it came out a little big on the 7's.  My bright idea told me to go ahead and knit it up with those anyway.  I figured hell I'm a little on the larger side,  Maybe this will prevent me from getting to the end of the project and saying"Damn it's too small!"  So I went ahead and cast on (15 times because I'm still learning how to count!).  I get to work today to continue and I start reading the posts and saw rockadot's post.  I looked at mine and back at the post. Looked at mine again.... Damn!  That's what I did but in all the excitement of getting the yarn and getting to start the nex project, I overlooked that part.  Now I'm stuck at work with no size six needles.  I guess I will just have to work today and go home and play tonight.   Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brook Smiley
check me out at http://sosidegal.blogspot.com/
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2006 06:06:18 PM »

Sosidegal -

Was your fabric too open on the 7s? I had one extra stitch per inch and decided to live with it. It is the length that was bugging me. I'm on the back section between the armholes right now. Not much knitting going on in the house this weekend as my hubbo and I were installing a tub surround . . . the reason why ReBath charges $4500 is because you don't have to do the work. UGH!

Jill

PS - I still put stitch markers every 20 stitches when I have to cast on any number above fifty. That way, I only have to count the twenty stitches between each marker and then take them off as I work the first row.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Hot Fix Transfers
How to Make a Leather Toggle
Creating Designs with The Bernina Cutwork Accessory
How to Make a Flower Card for Special Occasions
How to Create Posh Seam Finishes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...