A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,470
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: One Skein Wonders KAL  (Read 1080 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lizellis22
« on: February 27, 2007 01:55:47 PM »

Has anyone picked up a copy of One Skein Wonders (http://www.oneskeinwonders.com/) that would be interested in doing a knit-along?  It seems like there are enough projects that everyone would find something fun to knit, and who doesn't have that perfect ball of yarn begging to become *something*. I think a knitalong would be great to get an idea of the possibilities of these patterns in the hands of many creative craftsters! Cheesy  Any takers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shona
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007 02:58:55 AM »

I have seen this book, and put it on my Amazon wish list - maybe I should just "bite the bullet" and buy it to join in!

Shona
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scarlett
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007 10:56:37 AM »

I've made two items from this book so far ... the Scrunchie hat and the One Skein Wonder Scarf.  The photo on my blog isn't the greatest, but random people complimented the hat all winter. 

I attempted the Kid Classic shrug pattern, but ran far short on yarn.  When I say that, I mean way short.  Hella short.  WTF-is-going-on short.  With 11 pattern rows and the bind-off remaining, I had two yards of yarn.  (The experience did inspire me to make my own custom top-down raglan cardigan, aptly named Snit Cardigan in my blog.)  I may go back and try it with two skeins in the future, but I'm still miffed over the whole experience.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lizellis22
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007 12:13:32 PM »

Scarlett!  I love your results!  I thought the scrunchie hat looked kinda floppy in the book, but it looks supa on you!  I may have to make that, now!  And thanks for the advice on the shrug...I was eyeing that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
betty bat
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007 08:04:02 PM »

This might be a little late, but ...

There is a shrug pattern ("Shrug This") in One Skein Wonders.  (Doesn't everyone have a shrug pattern now?)  In fact, the pattern is also available on the web page:  www.oneskeinwonders.com
The pattern is very similar to a lot of the shrugs that are being worked here on Craftster, but it was all in one place and easier to print out.   Embarrassed  I've been finding that some of the threads here on Craftster are long, so you don't necessarily have an easy way to print what you want.

I just finished up a trial version of "Shrug This".  Why was it a trial?  Because I used REALLY old (like 20 year) acrylic yarn that I just wanted to use up.  And, I used needles that were too small for the gauge because they were the only ones I had in the house.  And, I really didn't believe that it was going to work!  I'm thrilled to say that it actually looks like a raglan shrug, but just a little smaller than I need.

Now, I'm going to start a new one, with nice yarn (I think I'll use Caron's Simply Soft) and the right side needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TreadmillKnitter
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007 08:24:54 PM »

This might be a little late, but ...

There is a shrug pattern ("Shrug This") in One Skein Wonders.  (Doesn't everyone have a shrug pattern now?)  In fact, the pattern is also available on the web page:  www.oneskeinwonders.com
The pattern is very similar to a lot of the shrugs that are being worked here on Craftster, but it was all in one place and easier to print out.   Embarrassed  I've been finding that some of the threads here on Craftster are long, so you don't necessarily have an easy way to print what you want.

I just finished up a trial version of "Shrug This".  Why was it a trial?  Because I used REALLY old (like 20 year) acrylic yarn that I just wanted to use up.  And, I used needles that were too small for the gauge because they were the only ones I had in the house.  And, I really didn't believe that it was going to work!  I'm thrilled to say that it actually looks like a raglan shrug, but just a little smaller than I need.

Now, I'm going to start a new one, with nice yarn (I think I'll use Caron's Simply Soft) and the right side needles.

I'll join you on that! I'm going to make it with Black SS...what color will you be using? I need to stashbust seriously bad so that'll help...plus I have really big arms and hate to wear tanks in public so this will help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny

Ravelry:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/TreadmillKnitter

Blog:
http://treadmillknitter.blogspot.com/

Her face is a map of the world...and you can tell that she's a beautiful girl.
betty bat
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007 11:20:10 AM »

I'm going to use SS Bone. 

I started my "test shrug" sometime after July 2.  I'm not sure of the exact date that I started, but that was the day that I picked up the book at the library.  So, it has taken me just over a week and I have about 8 rows left at this point. 

What size needles are you going to use?  I have circular 8 (that's the one I used for the test), straight 10, and I just bought a circular 11 on sale at Hobby Lobby earlier today. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TreadmillKnitter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007 11:46:22 AM »

I'm going to use SS Bone. 

I started my "test shrug" sometime after July 2.  I'm not sure of the exact date that I started, but that was the day that I picked up the book at the library.  So, it has taken me just over a week and I have about 8 rows left at this point. 

What size needles are you going to use?  I have circular 8 (that's the one I used for the test), straight 10, and I just bought a circular 11 on sale at Hobby Lobby earlier today. 

I'm going to try the 10.5's recommended on the website pattern ( i cant find my book ANYWHERE so i'm glad its on the site!) I have a denise needle set so I'm just using whats called and going from there
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny

Ravelry:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/TreadmillKnitter

Blog:
http://treadmillknitter.blogspot.com/

Her face is a map of the world...and you can tell that she's a beautiful girl.
cranberry
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007 02:35:41 PM »

You should just cut and paste the bits of the threads that you want on a word document (as well as the pictures) then do your thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl Short Hair with a Flat Iron
How to Style a Festival Updo for Curly Hair
Sombré: The New Ombré Trend That Looks Gorgeous on Everyone
DIY Pool Hair Remedy
3 Steps to the Perfect Beachy Wave
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...