A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Fetching" from Knitty: Summer 2006  (Read 35880 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twois
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2006 09:38:17 PM »

I'm about halfway through the 18 rounds on my first one right now, in Plymouth Yarns' Suri Merino in a really gorgeous light grey... it's SOOOOO soft, I'm so excited already.

I'm going to leave the thumb as it is because the whole reason I'm making them is because I'm a photographer and need my fingers out to operate my camera, and when I'm working, my thumbs are usually stretched out from my hand anyways. Smiley

Hopefully should have them finished at some point this weekend (tomorrow's football, which means getting to the stadium four hours early and sitting around for three of those hours...) and I'll post pics when I do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thanato
way too lazy

knits too much

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2006 11:05:13 PM »

I just finished the cable ribbing thing on my first glove. I had to take out 5 stitches though, because I have small wrists. I'm hoping to finish both gloves by Monday night.

Oh, i'm using Caron Simply Soft in black, because I love this yarn. Cheap, freaking awesome yardage, and its soft, which is liekwhoa for cheap acrylic
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006 11:45:22 PM by thanato » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nosyred
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2006 08:41:13 AM »

thanato, let me know how the smaller mitts turn out.  I'm done with mine, and they're adorable and awesome but TOO DAMN BIG.  I'm gonna make new ones and give these to a friend, but I'm between two ways of making new ones: take out 5 stitches (so use just 40 stitches, all told) or use size 4 needles.  tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SabrinaJL
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2006 05:40:25 PM »

thanato, I made mine with Caron Simply Soft too.  I wanted to make some for my mom, but I was thinking I'd use a nicer yarn so I bought some Plymouth Encore.  I should have just stuck with the Caron because  I do NOT like the Encore at all.   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

daizyduke
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2006 10:15:34 PM »

I want to make some of these for my daughter. She is only 8 and would require a smaller size. How easy would it be to make them to fit smaller hands? Should I just cast on 5 less stitches and leave out one of the cables? Would those numbers work out right?  I am using Caron Simply Soft. Also, has anyone used a long tail cast on instead of the cable cast on? Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
twois
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2006 11:53:03 PM »

The first one's done!!

I used Plymouth Yarns' Suri Merino, which, for $5 a ball, is amazingly soft and is making me ALL sorts of happy. And looking at how much I have left from this one ball after making the first half, I'm certain both gloves together will easily be a one-skein project.

Total time was only a few hours... this was my first time using DPNs AND my first time cabling! I'm pretty pleased with how it looks, for sure.

I think you could easily take out one of the cabled rows... and I used a regular ol' cast on and bind off, not a cable cast on, and not a picot bind off.

Hopefully I'll be able to crank out the 2nd one tomorrow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nosyred
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2006 12:45:38 PM »

done in caron simply soft, grey.  I like 'em a lot (and they're so warm and soft!), but they're also too big, so I'm giving them to a labmate on monday.  I'm psyched to make more pairs, though!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

thanato
way too lazy

knits too much

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2006 04:27:58 PM »

Was gonna post earlier, but the post didnt want to go through. Crappy photo!

knit on size 4 needles, took out 5 stitches. my wrists are 6in circumference. caron simply soft in black. so warm.. Cheesy I bound off too loosely, so it looks kinda blah. I also messed up on the thumbhole, but YEAH no one knows that >>;

The other one's on my needles, waiting for me to finish physics hw. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zeeblebee
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2006 10:45:48 PM »

Seeing all of the lovely pairs inspired me to make my own, so here they are with a scarflette that I made out of the leftover yarn I had.

I used long-tail cast on and regular bind off, and I messed around with the cable repeats a little (I reduced the number, spread them more apart, and compensated by doing more rows between thumb and cables) and I have half added a crocheted border around one of them. I'm not too sure about it though, so I haven't worked the ends in or done the other yet...opinions? I also put two non-functional buttons in the channel formed by the purl on the inside of the wrist, just where the cables twist.

These were my first time doing cables, and it wasn't as hard as I though it might have been.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010 02:32:51 PM by jungrrl - Reason: tried to fix pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunkette
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2006 11:42:47 AM »

I've just finished the first glove - and it is too big  Angry i did not take into account that my hands are, in fact, child-sized. ha.  anyone else run into this problem and fixed it? - i'm hoping this can be solved with blocking.  yes? 

and for the future - someone on here knit it with dk on 4's, is that right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Freeze Time in After Effects
After Effects - Virtual 3D Photos
After Effects - Creating a 3D Room
After Effects - Audio to Animation
After Effects - Dead Planet
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...