A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,532
Currently Running With Scissors:
367 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Fetching" from Knitty: Summer 2006  (Read 37591 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nightowl_too
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2006 09:07:35 AM »

mundo-yours look very nice! I hadn't heard of Alpaca With a Twist yarn before. I went to the Aplaca With a Twist web site and read up on them. Yours looks like you have a kind of ruffle around the wrist that looks nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vinny
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2006 09:29:50 AM »

on yarn - im using rowan ryc cashsoft, which is about the same price as the debbie bliss cashmerino, and is really similar, but i think it feels nicer..  i may be imagining this though!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
alligator
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2006 07:30:12 PM »

I finished my left hand glove and started on the right one.  These are a pretty quick project despite my knitting the cuff 3 times before I settled on the yarn I wanted to use (previous starts were too pink and too itchy).  I'm using a nice blue alpaca that I lost the label for.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010 02:31:33 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

vinny
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2006 02:03:18 PM »

i've done everything except the thumb on the left fetching, using blue ryc cashsoft

depending on whether i run out at the end of the second glove, i may use a complementary colour for the thumbs..  i think i started with a full ball but it had lost its label and my scales are not that accurate..

THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2006 09:52:25 PM »

I finished my first pair - what a quick project!  Grin  I did run out of the rec yarn though  Embarrassed.  I will definitely NOT use the picot bind off next time because of the curling.  I may make the part on the fingers a little longer too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
vinny
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2006 03:36:57 AM »

i finished mine last night, apart from the weaving ends in anyway.  but they dont fit very well!  they barely reach my knuckles but on my palm they are a good inch shorter than i'd like.  and the thumb feels weird, like it's stuck at an odd angle.

i'm checking them over for adjustments i could make to the pattern, because i like the cables but i'd prefer much longer gloves myself, at both ends. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atomicrose
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2006 02:10:10 PM »

Purple Fetching!

I'm actually really happy with how they feel made out of the Simply Soft... I'll probably make a wool pair eventually, but these are perfect for when it's not-so-cold out (which is really when I'll be wearing them anyway).  I added 5 more rows of ribbing after the thumb, and did a standard bind-off instead of the picot, and I'm very glad I did both.

The pattern's method of doing the thumb is weird - I don't know if it's because I've gotten spoiled on gusseted thumbs or what, but it looks and feels like it's sticking out at an uncomfortable angle.  It works out ok for me on these because they came out a little too big (yay for not checking gauge! - snort), but if they actually FIT, I don't know if I'd be able to wear them because of the funky thumb.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vinny
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2006 02:35:27 PM »

the thumb feels totally wrong for me.  how do i do a gusseted thumb, what does that mean? mine are to gauge and they feel wrong on my hands..  im gutted because there are so many beautiful pairs of these in the kals.  at least they were quick.  im trying to work out some changes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2006 03:56:23 PM »

Yup, definitely like those better than mine.  I'll have to steal your mods for future use!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
atomicrose
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2006 10:34:01 AM »

the thumb feels totally wrong for me.  how do i do a gusseted thumb, what does that mean? mine are to gauge and they feel wrong on my hands..  im gutted because there are so many beautiful pairs of these in the kals.  at least they were quick.  im trying to work out some changes.

When you make a thumb gusset, you increase stitches starting at the base of the hand, till you reach a certain number for the thumb... then you separate those stitches off, and keep knitting the hand.  When you go back to knit the thumb, you typically only have to pick up maybe 2 or 3 stitches to close the gap.  What you end up with is a mitt that's shaped like your hand - narrow at the wrist, widening up to the thumb - rather than a straight mitt with a random hole sticking out at a 90-degree angle. Tongue

This mitten pattern is a good example of what I'm explaining in way too many words:  http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/the-mitts.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dating Advice from Avan Jogia
How to Look Wide-Awake for Your First Day of School
Try a Glossy Eye And Matte Lip Look!
Inside the Beauty Closet: Kool Aid Lipstain
Aubrey Plaza Cosmo Dor Latinas Cover Shoot
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...