A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Fetching" from Knitty: Summer 2006  (Read 36323 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mandalol219
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2006 09:07:49 PM »

I knit my first one up and I love it!! I think that regular bind-off would have been fine, but the curl isn't a huge problem. They're so quick! I think the longest part was knitting the 18 rounds. Pictures when the other one is finished!

Thanks for the link on cabling by the way, it helped a lot. It's so much easier than I thought!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi, I'm Amanda =]

I'm just getting back into this, but if any pictures are missing, let me know. Photobucket hates me.
earlmars
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2006 09:58:13 AM »

I was planning on joining in the knitalong before these were done, but... they went so fast I didn't get around to it. Smiley I finished these in one day (but I worked on them most of the day!).

I made some mods to the pattern based on the comments you guys made in here - I added a thumb gusset and made them longer. Much longer, actually. I made these as a gift for my cousin and we're both kind of tall so things are never long enough for us!

I used the new Caron Simply Soft Tweed in Violet, which is a deeper, richer purple than the picture shows.

Thanks for looking! Smiley
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010 02:31:59 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey! I'm the macho outdoorsy type - so quit calling me snugglebutt!
juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2006 11:59:59 AM »

I really like the gusset.  I would like to do that on my next pair, but I've never done it before...  How many stitches did you have after your increases?  Do you increase on each row or alternate?  And...  how do you know where to start it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
earlmars
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2006 01:32:09 PM »

Thumb gussets are pretty easy, it just takes a little basic math. I'm going to use my numbers as an example because they were pretty simple, but you should take your own measurements for yours - I have long hands so my numbers will probably be too big for most women.

You will need to know:
  • your row gauge. My row gauge was 8 rows per inch.
  • the length you want the gusset to be. For me this was 3 inches. To get your length, measure the edge of your hand/thumb from your wrist (this is where the cuff/cables stop and the plain ribbing will begin) to where you want the thumb to start (this will be just past where your hand ends and your thumb begins).
  • The number of stitches will need to go around your thumb. The pattern calls for 17. I used 14 stitches because I know the person I'm giving these to has very thin fingers (the 14 stitches actually fit me pretty well, too!).

You are going to pick up 2 stitches when you knit the thumb itself, so you want to increase the number of thumb stitches minus 2. I increased 12 stitches (14 - 2 = 12). If you want to have an odd number of stitches for the thumb, you can pick up 3 stitches when you knit the thumb (So if you want 17 stitches for the thumb, you'll increase 14 stitches and then later you'll pick up 3 more to make 17).

You will be doing all your increases in pairs, so take the number of stitches you need to increase (NOT including the 2 or 3 you will pick up later!) and divide by 2 to get how many increase rows you will do. I wanted to increase 12 stitches, so 12 / 2 = 6 increase rows.

To figure out how many rows you will need for your thumb gusset, take the length you want the gusset to be in inches and multiply this by your row gauge. I needed 3 inches in length and my row gauge was 8, so 3 X 8 = 24 rows.

You are going to knit your number of increase rows spread out evenly over the total number of rows you will need for your gusset. To figure out how often you need to increase, divide your total number of rows by the number of increase rows. For me this was 24 total rows and 6 increase rows. So, 24 / 6 = 4. I increased once in every 4 rows.

That's all the math done! Yay!

After you've knit the cuff (finished the cables), knit 2 rows in the ribbing pattern. These two rows don't count as gusset rows, if just looks a little nicer than starting your increases right after the cables. Then repeat what is in the brackets however many times you need to do an increase row. {knit an increase row, then knit X number of plain rows} I was increasing once every 4 rows and I needed to do 6 increase rows, so I {knit an increase row, then knit 3 rows plain} 6 times. This gave me a total of 24 rows and 12 increased stitches.

On the next row, instead of knitting the thumb stitches, put them on a holder or scrap piece of yarn. Then finish knitting the rest of the hand.

When you're ready to knit the thumb, put all the stitches on the holder/scrap yarn on to your needles and pick up 2 (or 3 if needed) stitches from the hand part of the handwarmer. Picking up these extra stitches helps close the gap between the thumb and the hand - if you don't pick up these stitches, there will be a hole there. So, on my first needle I picked up 2 stitches from the hand part + 3 stitches from the holder, the second needle had 4 stitches from the holder, and the third needle had 5 stitches from the holder. (2 + 3) + (4) + (5) = 14 total thumb stitches. Then finish knitting the thumb.

This might be more information than you need. Smiley Let me know if this doesn't make sense! and don't let all the stuff I've written scare you - it's a really simple process! (I tend to get a little carried away when it comes to writing instructions... lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

juliesnider

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2006 02:44:09 PM »

Holy cow!  Those directions are INCREDIBLE!!  I can't wait to start another pair.  Thank you!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
mandalol219
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2006 10:42:51 AM »

I love it, I love it, I love it!! So comfy and amazing.

These two are made for each other!

Hey. Did I mention I love these?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi, I'm Amanda =]

I'm just getting back into this, but if any pictures are missing, let me know. Photobucket hates me.
mamamarce
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2006 08:43:36 AM »

Hello all!

I knit these as part of another KAL and love them too!
I'm posting a pic of mine in Mandalay 100% silk, Indigo Tweed.  I see plenty more in my future Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
earlmars
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2006 10:10:38 AM »

I thought I had finished my pair of Fetchings. I was wrapping them up to mail to Germany when I noticed that one was significantly shorter than the other. It turns out I messed up the second one, and in the thumb gusset section no less. *sigh* I always knew wine coolers were evil - this will just have to serve as a reminder to me that me + knitting + alcohol = a really bad idea. I guess I'm only half done!

The worst part is that I don't even want to make another purple one - I want to start new pairs in pink or blue or red  or green for myself! I love the colors you guys have chosen!

juliesnider - I hope that helps! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

juliesnider

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2006 01:33:36 PM »

I'm sure it will - I can't wait to try.  I need to finish my ballet tee first though!  Thank you!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandalol219
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2006 08:16:26 PM »

I'm......running..... out.....of.....yarn Cry I knew I should have ordered the second ball. Ho-hum. Ahh, I hate that I didn't order it, now I have to wait more.

haha. sorry for the pity-post, I'm just a bit bummed.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi, I'm Amanda =]

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Near of Death Note
Supervillain Origins: The Vulture
Supervillain Origins: The Lizard
Supervillain Origins: Carnage
Learn About Spiderman Comic Books
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...