A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bead Sculptures - Very Long Very Graphic Intensive  (Read 4462 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kappy

Shaper of glass and other mediums...

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2006 06:11:40 PM »

Hey All,

Its been a while since I have posted anything, but that doesn't mean that I have been idle. I have been experimenting with manipulating melted beads with a blowtorch. Surprisingly, it works better than I first reported. It's kind of neat, using the blowtorch on beads, the beads get soft, then gooey, then liquid, and if you aren't careful, they also catch fire. Gooey is really cool to work with, because you can connect pieces together and bend them, when they are gooey.

Example 1

This is a sculpture which I made from several different parts. Mostly, I was goofing around seeing what I could do. No cool color schemes or anything. Each of the parts were melted together separately in the oven. The forms were simply folded aluminum foil.

Then using the blowtorch, I attached five of the long bead sticks to the round base.

After that, I placed the base with the sticks over an Arizona Tea Can, and applied the blowtorch gently to the base, and let the sticks droop down. Then I cut up the remaining sticks, and using the blowtorch, attached them to the sculpture. Once everything cooled, I removed the can, and voila.

Example 2

This was an attempt at making a dish. What I did was create a form out of aluminum foil. The shape is roughly like an Iron Cross. In a way, I wish I had measured things out more accurately, but then again, I was really goofing around.

After cooking the beads, I let them cool, and removed the foil. Then I took everything outside, and applied the trusty old blowtorch. Using the edge of a shelf on my gas grill as a straight edge, I applied the torch (in quick back and forth motions) to the piece to get one side of the cross to droop. I then repeated the process for each of the other sides. When all of the sides had drooped, I then used the blowtorch to heat up the seams, and tried to get them to melt together. Because the measurements were a little off, things didn't come together quite right.

I hope that you enjoyed these projects...

Kappy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out PinkyK's Etsy Shop AllenKaperakDesigns

http://www.AllenKaperakDesigns.etsy.com
cotneyroo
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006 06:21:05 PM »

wow! are the beads plastic or glass? (I'm assuming plastic, but what do I know?) those are really stunning looking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006 06:53:00 PM »

They are plastic beads. the cheapest of the cheap plastic beads too...pony beads, jumbo bags of plastic faceted beads, what ever is cheap and plastic.

Glass won't melt without a kiln.  I put my name on a waiting list for studio spacetoday so we can get a kiln and melt glass!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftyhev

Have a nice day :)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006 11:28:03 PM »

That is excellent and i ABSOLUTELY ADORE  the dish!! I think you could make a fortune out of your designs - well done Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hugs, Heather

Be true to yourself Smiley Smiley Smiley

When you get to the end of your rope - tie a knot and hang on!!
(Franklin D. Roosevelt)
jenna rose
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006 11:33:22 PM »

Those are very pretty!

How are the fumes now that you're doing some of the work outside?  Is it just as bad?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kappy

Shaper of glass and other mediums...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006 04:37:25 AM »

Jenna,

Surprisingly, the fumes outside, while using the blowtorch, aren't that bad. This is probably because you have to keep the blowtorch moving and you aren't heating the whole thing, so you aren't getting fumes from the entire piece like you would when its in the oven.

In the meantime, I think I might try to refine the process of making the dish, and maybe try to use different colors for each of the sides. I also have this crazy idea for a vase, which will involve a lot of beads and a lot of work with the blowtorch.  Wink

Kappy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out PinkyK's Etsy Shop AllenKaperakDesigns

http://www.AllenKaperakDesigns.etsy.com
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006 09:02:49 AM »

I think you could make a fortune out of your designs - well done Smiley

That was EXACTLY my reaction! Let's get that web page up and running and sell these babies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlondieKate

^^^I wish!!^^^

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006 09:17:50 AM »

Kappy, I'm wondering if you'd be able to twist your "sticks", and make something similar to those acrylic "wind twisters".  Would be cool to try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itsamutiny
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006 12:39:59 AM »

so taht's really just tin foil? and it worked and everything?

ahhh i need to stop finding awesome melted bead things, my house trailer really hasn't got the best ventilation system, and i don't want to poison my poor cats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spikelvr44
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006 08:56:33 PM »

I am so excited about this craft i am going to try it tomarrow!!!!!!!!!!!! i am going to try to make a brooch thingy!!!! Wish me luck.   Grin such a great idea Grin
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006 08:59:18 PM by spikelvr44 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Curly and Wavy Hair
How to Create Formal Updo Hairstyles
How to Do Long Layer Hairstyles
How to Foil Hair
Hair Stylist Career Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...