A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,661
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Original Patterns - Selling vs publishing....  (Read 390 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Locutus137
« on: July 06, 2006 07:23:20 AM »

So, I'm in the middle of designing a felted bag.  And am so in love with it that I was considering trying to submit it to knitty or something along those lines.

But, I'm trying to decide if A) it's even something someone else would be interested in or B) if I should just put the pattern for sale on my blog or ebay or the like. 

I'm a stay at home mom so if I could start designing my own stuff, it would be cool to bring in a little extra income  (read - help support my expensive habit)

Anyone that has sold their patterns or published them have any tips?

P.S. - It's a huge rectangular bag with lots of pockets.  I've designed it to suit my needs.... but it would make a great diaper bag or school bag.... or purse if you like 'em large (as I do)

Thanks!~
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kerry Berry
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006 08:22:58 AM »

Knitty or MagKnits would provide you with possibly more exposure than your blog or ebay shop, so more people would start recognizing your name.  If either one decides to publish your pattern, you'd get around $75-100 for Knitty or $36-90 for MagKnits.  (Plus you get the warm fuzzy feeling in your heart when you know that knitters now have access to your fabulous free pattern!)  If you publish it on your own, you have to decide if enough people will buy your pattern to match or beat the amount of money you'd receive from an online publication.

You also might want to browse the Knitty and MagKnits archives to see if something like what you're making has already been published--that might discourage you from going that route, since they're probably less likely to publish something very similar to what they've already done.  I found Satchel on Knitty, which sounds somewhat similar to what you described, but on the other hand yours could be completely different.  (I dislike the way the MagKnits archives are set up, so I'll leave the browsing to you.)

When it all comes down to it, if it were me, I'd go for Knitty or MagKnits (or even The AntiCraft, although it looks like they don't pay for submissions) for my first couple of designs in order to get the large readership and the consequent publicity and name recognition.  You can always pimp your blog in the little bio they give you, so people who like your work will click over and find more of your designs.

ETA: I have not published any patterns, so you can take all this advice for what it's worth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006 09:15:58 AM »

I don't publish knitting patterns, but I can attest to the dilema you're in. I tend to agree with the comments above, that as someone who hasn't sold a pattern yet, getting exposure (aka. marketing) is a large portion of deceiding which venue will work for you. You need to get your feet wet first.

Having your name on one of those sites mentioned above would be a big bonus for you. Not sure about MagKnits, but I've read Knitty and they post info at the bottom about the designer. If you had a link from that site to your blog, where people could see other things you make, that would be a start. [However, a link to a site of your own (not a blog) would be even better. It gives people the feeling that they're shopping in your store, as opposed to your living room.]

I have an online storefront, enabling me to sell my patterns. I also have a mailing list with about 1,000 people on it. So, I have a small following, however, that took time. Getting your name out there and getting exposure should be at the top of your list and submitting to those online venues is the start to something like that.

Ebay is also another starter place, although, it's not the best place to continue a business. Ebay fees are high, and they do cut into the profits a bit. And I can't say that I know anyone who has a successful shop selling patterns on Etsy (sorry Craftster goddesses!).

Good luck with whatever you choose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Locutus137
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006 10:12:11 AM »

Thank you both.  I don't plan on coming up with tons of stuff.... this one just popped in my head and I decided to give it a shot.  I think I will try to go the knitty route - because in the end it would be much cooler to see my name on something than making a couple of bucks a pop.

The bag is actually not like satchel.  It's hard to describe but I think it's unique.  I wanted to post pics when it's completely finished but I think I read on knitty's site that the design must not have been posted anywhere before.  Not sure if that applies to just pics of the item or the pattern..... 

Anyway, thank you both again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candikaneiscrafty
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006 04:29:34 PM »

I wanted to post pics when it's completely finished but I think I read on knitty's site that the design must not have been posted anywhere before.  Not sure if that applies to just pics of the item or the pattern..... 

i haven't had anything published in knitty but they don't want you to show pictures of the project so that it is a surprise once the issue goes live. but once the issue is live you can post pictures where ever you want.
good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Ways to Instantly Look Slimmer
Will Jared Leto Top His Man Bun at the Grammys?
DIY: No Sew Halter Top with Michael Costello
How to Dress Like Beyonce
Andre Leon Talley Upgrades Zappos to Couture
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...