A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,251
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ENTER THE MONKEY. (img heavy)  (Read 11220 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

100Bean
« on: July 06, 2006 05:21:25 AM »

Who's more admirable than Bruce Lee?! He was talented, smart, creative, groundbreaking, and impossibly handsome, if you ask me. He's an icon and deservedly so. So I bring you Bruce Lee Monkey, as seen in the famous final fight scene from "Enter The Dragon", ready to defeat Han who has scratched poor Bruce all up with his evil knife-hand.

He's really angry, because Han has offended his family and offended the Shaolin Temple.

And this is right before he kills that traitor Han with his bare hands.

Here's some back and detail photos:

Bruce Lee Monkey is made from a pair of plain greyish-brownish socks - I could've tried to match the incredible tan Bruce Lee has in the movie, but I wanted to make sure the embroidered scratches were visible. He has twisted wire through pretty much all of his body so that he can stand freely and be posed in ass-kicking stances without having to worry about tipping over and stuff. The wire is looped at the ends so that it can't poke through his hands and feet and tail. (I had already stuffed him when my brother helped me work that out, so he had to be unstuffed and restuffed all over again.) His pants are made from some fabric I had in my cupboard even though I had NO idea how to make tiny pants and just made them up as I went. They have a tail-hole and close with a tiny snap button above the tail. His socks are from a pair of mine that I sacrificed and his shoes are felt. He has yarn hair and felt eyebrows and I watched the fight scene about a thousand times to get the exact placement and number of all the scratches.

It may not seem like it, but this guy was pretty tricky for me. I've only ever made one sock monkey before, so it's still new. I've never made anything with tiny clothes and I now have much respect for any of you guys who make doll clothes. I can't even sew human-sized clothes that well. The shoes took forever because I just couldn't figure out what I was doing and I spent all of yesterday evening / night putting in his hair and cutting it. I had no idea how involved he would be when I started, but i LOVE him, so it was totally worth it. I'm so glad I managed to finish just in the nick of time for this challenge!

I hope you all like him (and you better not offend him or anything because he could crush you with his tail. Smiley  )

THIS ROCKS   Logged
noelle
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006 05:41:30 AM »

aiyah! he's awesome.
the hair, the shoes, the scratches.. well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss-a-achoo
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006 06:02:04 AM »

Ha ha -  This is awesome!  I love the facial expression and the neat little scratches, the posing, the eyebrows, even the little socks and shoes - such a wonderful job!  Kudos to you! Exclaimation!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ramona Q

There is a space between 'Ramona' and the 'Q'

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006 07:32:12 AM »

This is so good!  I love that you put wire in him so he can stand up.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenney
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006 07:33:41 AM »

that is the best sock monkey ever....my little brother would love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
100Bean
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006 07:39:18 AM »

Wow - THANK YOU all so much! I'm beaming with pride over here. I was still working on a nearly blank monkey when other people had already started posting their entries and I was totally intimidated by how awesome they all are! I actually had to forbid myself to look at any more until Bruce was finished and posted, just so I didn't give up. I'm so glad you guys like him! Thanks again!

(and Ramona - I love your screenname and avatar thingy, I used to read nothing but those Ramona books when I was little!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006 07:41:19 AM »

Hilarious! Hail Bruce Monkey, master of the one-cm punch!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
lulubean
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006 03:45:12 PM »

I love Bruce Lee and this monkey rocks the house.  My favorite part are the tiny little shoes!  Sooooooo cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sharla

I love my very first rotary cutter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006 09:46:20 PM »

The little shoes are too funny! Great job- he looks fierce!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy: http://stellasjewels.etsy.com
My Friend Sheri's shop http://GlitterKnitter.etsy.com
I'm also Sharla on Ravelry!
KeenBean
SappyMooseTree

Oh mah glob

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006 10:27:38 PM »

those pants and shoes are soooo cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mandy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn to Create the Katniss Braid
Retro-Glam Hairstyle Tutorial
Easy Braided Updo Tutorial
How to Skip That Awkward Growing-Out Phase With Your Pixie
The Most Genius Fix for Frizzed-Out Locks
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...