A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Visiting Boston from London, UK  (Read 1063 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thebigmango
« on: July 06, 2006 02:52:25 AM »

Hi everyone,

I'm coming to Boston at the end of July for a conference (Siggraph) and will be sticking around for an extra week from 4-11 August. I've been to Boston 8yrs ago and done the main touristy things so this time I'm more interested in getting to know the local contemporary culture and people better. 

I'm vegetarian and I'm interested in photography, sewing, art+craft generally, eco-friendly/green stuff and science/technology.

So I'm wondering if people can recommend:
  • interesting places to visit,
  • interesting shops,
  • shops that sell fabric and patterns cheaply (patterns are quite expensive in the UK), 
  • good places for vegetarian food

And if that's not asking too much already, would anyone be interested in meeting up?

BTW I had a look at http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=101912.0 and I've put Magpie on my list already!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quincy134
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006 04:35:53 AM »

Well, as mentioned in that other thread Davis Square is a great place.  If you're looking for interesting veggie food, O'Naturals is located there, and it has lots of veggie options (some dishes do have meat though).  There are definitely other veggie-friendly places there, but I can't remember the names. 

I'm also a fan of Coolidge Corner, as I mentioned in the other thread.  There are lots of interesting local shops, and it's the place for Judaica (check out http://www.kolbo.com/ and http://www.israelbookshop.com/ if you're interested) and Kosher food (including a deli, bagels, Chinese...). 

Cambridge's Harvard and Central Squares are also nice (though Harvard is incredibly touristy).  I go to school at Harvard, so I'm there a lot.  In Harvard Square there is Veggie Planet, which is a nice veggie restaurant.  There is a yarn store there (Woolcott and Co. http://www.woolcottandco.com/).  In Central there are two arts and crafts supply stores (one is the Pearl, the other is just called something like Arts and Crafts Supply), plus a large used book store, Rodney's, that has a large art book collection.  As for sewing stuff in the area, there are two discount fabric stores nearby (though they aren't on the subway, you would have to take a bus, I think).  One is Sewfisticated Fabrics and the other is Sew-Low.  They both have tons of random fabrics for really cheap (most are only ~2 USD per yard). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thebigmango
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006 09:24:43 AM »

Thanks. I'll definitely try to check out all those places.

Fabric for $2/yard sounds good. I'll have to make sure I leave some room in my suitcase!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sj1974
"In a time of crisis a hero must rise...from his sofa."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006 05:37:20 PM »

Hi - I live in Boston but am English.  I recommend Davis Sq too, as well as Jamaica Plain just for being a cool, relaxed and eclectic place.  It's easy to get to from the centre of town.  I'm not familiar with any pattern shops I'm afraid.  But, I do know plenty of pubs and restaurants and some interesting shops to visit...PM me if you like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skier88888
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006 11:35:05 AM »

in/around faneuil hall is a good palce for photography .. also by the commuter boat stop (near the marriot i believe)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hilatron

Robots craft too!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006 01:09:28 PM »

As for sewing stuff in the area, there are two discount fabric stores nearby (though they aren't on the subway, you would have to take a bus, I think).  One is Sewfisticated Fabrics and the other is Sew-Low.  They both have tons of random fabrics for really cheap (most are only ~2 USD per yard). 

You can walk to these stores from the Lechmere stop on the Green Line; just make sure you don't load up on TOO much fabric or the walk back is rough!  It's a mile at most to Sewfisticated, which is the furthest from the station.  Both stores sell patterns for cheap but they're mostly quite out of date - lots of big 80s shoulderpads, etc.

Also a must-visit: The Garment District.  It's come down a little in recent years from the dizzying heights of vintage goodness that it used to provide, but it's a Boston institution and there are still many awesome finds there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty Robot: Handmade goods for discerning humans
thebigmango
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006 08:05:10 AM »

Thanks for the tips. Only 5 days to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

monster
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006 07:16:04 AM »

i recommend winmil fabrics, it is a short walk from downtown crossing or the chinatown T stop.  they sell a lot off the bolt(sp?), so it's cheaper.  they also sell used patterns.  a short walk away is winsor button and they sell notions, yarn, etc.  but the real reason i go there is they have a huge tub of buttons that they sell by weight.

there is also a fun shop in central square across from the middle east, i think it's called buckaroo, but i'm not positive on the name.  it is full of kitchy goodness.  magpie you already mentioned.  there is also a craft studio/class place in davis square and upstairs they sell jewelry made by the members.

for vintage, of course the garment district (it's a store), and i also like proletariat, but i don't know if they are still opened.  oh and another one near central square called something like great eastern exchange?  i always mess up the name.  oh and planet aid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Ham and Bananas Hollandaise
How to Make Honey Brisket Sloppy Joes with Herb Kentucky Lime Salad
How to Make Rhubarbecue Ribs
How to Make a Tuna Salad Sandwich
How to Make Creamy Chicken Skillet with Loaded Potatoes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...