A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
744 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Colin Meloy the sock monkey  (Read 4562 times)
Tags for this thread: decemberists  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

disguisedasarussiancadet
DisguisedAsARussianCadet

View Profile WWW
« on: July 06, 2006 12:10:06 AM »

My English teacher and I are what you might call crazy, panty-throwing Decemberists fans (I'm going to assume that a lot of you know about the greatness that is The Decemberists because, let's face it there are a lot of hipsters on here, if not, go to itunes right now and look them up...no seriously, go).  She has a framed picture of them on her desk at school right next to the pictures of her kids and I have listened to their music so much that I can name any song by the first 2 chords.  She is particularly obsessed with their lead singer, Colin Meloy:

so for Christmas I made her Colin Meloy the sock monkey:

(please excuse the ridiculousness of this photo, yes that is me, it is the only surviving picture of CMtSM.  We obviously had a little too much free time in my Chemistry class the day I gave it to her).  I made patterns for his clothes using human patterns as a reference.  His shirt says I [heart] Morrissey because the real Colin Meloy [hearts] Morrissey and also because we make fun of Morrissey a lot (oh shut up, you know you do too).  He doesn't have ears because my mom threw away the part of the sock that had the ears on it and I wasn't going to buy a whole other pair of socks just to use that part.  His mouth was the most controversial part; I decided to do it the way I did because Colin Meloy's trademark is his big giant mouth (see above picture of the real Colin Meloy) and you couldn't have CMtSM with some sissy closed mouth.  I am currently working up the gall to make another CMtSM and give it to the real Colin Meloy when I skip college orientation to go to yet another Decemberists concert in August (this will probably not happen as I enjoy being restraining order free).

p.s.: that's right I am so much of a nerd that my screen name is from a Decemberists song...you can now commence stealing my lunch money.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010 03:29:34 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mistle_thrush

I've never even met that cat.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006 12:58:05 AM »

Oh.

And I just stopped using my Jenny icon too.

As over-used as this phrase is, I...I think you are my favorite person. Yes, really, I didn't even put it in all caps, that's how serious I am.

Having been to Decemberists & Colin Meloy concerts, he'd probably be flattered by it. I mean, I've heard of people making comic books of him and Morrissey holding hands and him liking it.

Also, as this is not as serious...Morrissey is THE most fun person in the world to make fun of. I don't think he sleeps or eats. He just IS. HE IS MORRISSEY.

P.S. You're not the only one with a super seekrit Decemberists name. Only I'm so lame I took it from the tour title. ;____; Oh man so lame!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100Bean
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006 05:56:34 AM »

Sweet! I only just recently got into The Decemberists, since I went to see them about 2 months ago. I had "Picaresque" just sitting in my pile for a year and had completely forgotten about it, but when we saw them I turned into a massive dork. I'm totally ashamed that I let the cd sit there for so long and now I've bought the other albums as well. So I totally understand your nerdiness. Smiley Your monkey is fabulous - I especially love his tiny glasses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nabi
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006 08:31:25 AM »

I love the Decemberists!  Your sock monkey definitely rocks....  in a mellow, thoughtful, clever, catchy way.   Wink
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006 08:32:59 AM by nabi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work anyway."
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006 10:41:40 AM »

That is the sexiest sock monkey ever.  Colin Meloy is one sexy man. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
illuminatedinsect
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006 10:51:46 AM »

You are my new hero! When I saw the words "Colin Meloy the Sock Monkey" I just about peed myself. I love him. I would like to marry him if possible. I have to show your creation to my mom now and I'm sure she'll be equally as excited. Well done. I applaud you.
Just by chance, are you from Bend? You look very familiar.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006 11:05:40 AM by illuminatedinsect » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my new crafty blog: http://illuminatedinsect.blogspot.com/
disguisedasarussiancadet
DisguisedAsARussianCadet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006 09:43:02 AM »

Hey thanks guys.  Illuminatedinsect: I am from Bend, I just graduated from MVHS, that picture was in Ms. Ebeling's room, and the monkey now resides in Mrs. McCormicks office.  Did you go to Mountain view craphole?  I had a couple classes at BHS too and I used to work at Target.  How weird, it is a small world after all.

Mistle_Thrush: the Morrissey making fun of is out of control with my friends, we made up a game called the
Morrissey game and the rules are: go to crappy local music store, look through Morrissey albums, whoever starts laughing first loses.  This usually happens at Ringleaders of the Tormentors (where he's playing the violin) or you are the quarry (where he's holding the machine gun)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trisarahtop
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006 11:40:17 AM »

Oh you should definitely give it to him, if you can get to him! I knit a robot, originally to give to one of my friends, but I ended up giving it to Ryland Bouchard from the Robot Ate Me, and it was cool! He hugged me and emailed me a couple weeks later thanking me again for it. It was so cool. Give Colin the monkey!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just have a few words: nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak.
katydidnot
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006 11:52:57 AM »

That's pretty much AWESOME.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

why yes, i do have an etsy! http://www.etsy.com/shop/katydidnot
also, here is my tumblr: http://katydidnot.tumblr.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tame Curls With Eva Scrivo
Eva Scrivo on Creating Perfect Waves
John Masters Organics Hair Salon
3 Ways to Style the Side Swept Bun Hairdo
How to Use a Curling Iron
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...