A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What do you do when you love a pattern?  (Read 699 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 05, 2006 10:04:27 PM »

I know this is probably a silly question to ask, but when you find a pattern you love to peices, do you just keep cutting it out of the same pattern paper, or do you trace it onto something?

Me, I have almost ALL multi-size patterns, and I have no idea what I'll do when I fall in love with one. I find it VERY tedious to have to mark underneath my patterns (I'm usually 2 sizes smaller than the largest size in my pattern envelope).

So, do you guys have some tips on what to do or use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
kermitstar
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006 10:30:14 PM »

in some patters there's that really thin brown paper, sorry don't use patterns a lot, so after you make the adjustments, transfer it to the brown paper, then keep it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Eva!
zeeblebee
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006 01:18:45 AM »

I don't tend to plan for the future, so I just cut out my patterns in the size that I want, and just keep reusing the same patttern. Everytime that I use the pattern I shave off a sliver around the edge, so I don't cut exactly around the shape if I have used the pattern a few times already.

When it comes to growing and changing shapes, I do not change sizes at the exact same rate all over the bod, so if I am redoing a blouse and the initial version does not exactly fit it will be a bit of "Don't change waist, haven't changed. Add inch to hips here and here..."

I think it is all very personal-tracing the patterns I buy or marking underneath would mean that I would never start projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zombi

Woman of Dark Desires

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006 01:37:43 AM »

I have a big roll of sew-on interfacing, and I trace my pattern pieces off that, rather than cutting the originals up, just in case I need a bigger size later. For smaller pieces, like collars, etc. I use baking paper, rather than going through my roll of interfacing (which is a pain to work with sometimes, because it sticks to everything).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lay her down in her gingerbread coffin, she's so pretty all laid out in white...
I'll be your deadly nightshade, turn your Christmas black, and you can be my Johnny Homicidal Maniac!
paroper
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006 05:40:02 AM »

Until my sister died (married to a doctor), I would buy medical paper from their office.  Since then I finally ran out and had to look around.  You can purchase the medical paper under another name from Clotilde for about 6 or 7 dollars a roll.  It sometimes goes on sale.  It is light enough you can see through it to make your alterations and changes.  It also can fold up and be put in the envelopes with the patterns when you are through because it is light.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006 08:13:03 AM »

1--you can iron on fusible interfacing to the back of your pattern to help preserve it.  when you use this pattern, it will often stick to the fabric without pinning.

2--you can cut it out of something like non-woven, non-fusible interfacing, label all the pieces, and when you use this pattern for cutting, it too sticks to the fabric without pinning.

3--we cut patterns in brown craft paper if we are going to use them more than once.

4--if we are going to use them over and over, from season to season, we cut them out of tag board, when we use them we trace around them directly onto the fabric before cutting.

5--i know of people who trace their patterns onto clear vinyl--soil separator--medical paper--muslin--wrapping paper--and all kinds of other stuff.  use whatever appeals to you, and whatever suits your needs in terms of cutting and storage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
stacysews
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006 04:36:05 PM »

I use a product called pattern ease.  But like rostitchery pointed out, there are tons of stuff out there that is sturdy that you can use, it's just a matter of preference in the end.  I tend to use pattern ease because it's sturdy, I can see my pattern underneath, and I can always find it at Joann's (and use a coupon).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PerachYafeh
C.A.D.ing around...

Got crafts?YouGetFun!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006 08:28:41 PM »

I have used a lot of  multipatterns...I always used paper. It is very useful.
 I lately followed the tip of my friend here Stacysews about Pattern easy....It is a great thing. I guess with a preferred costumer coupon the pattern easy price ends up cheaper than paper...you can fold it and put in an envelop with you want to. Wink
Perach
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006 08:34:32 PM by PerachYafeh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006 04:41:08 AM »

my preference has always been brown paper because i HATE trying to see thru other mediums.  and now that i have reached the trifocal stage of my life, i just don't feel like making myself mad about it.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do:  www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
michellegiordano

mgcreations.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006 11:53:54 AM »

I just cut out the biggest size and fold back the paper to the size I need.  I usually have to cut slits around the curves to make it work.  But at least if I need a bigger size I can iron the pattern back to normal and use painters tape to bandage the slits that I cut before. 

I learned this while sewing my childrens clothes.  I don't want to buy patterns year after year for the same types of items, or 3 different but same patterns for my three girls, so I started folding back to save money. 

HTH

Michelle Giordano
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Haikus of the Heart
Kurt Eichenwald on His Book "500 Days: Secrets and Lies in the Terror Wars"
Adam McOmber on The White Forest
Tips on Foods That Will Help You Stay Toned
SQuire Rushnellon His Book Divine Alignment
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...