A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: huge, adult size blanket  (Read 1546 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cassiemarie
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004 03:40:52 PM »

I am about halfway through knitting a blanket for ME! heheh...  I am doing it in a really chunky wool from a huuuge XXL mens cable knit sweater (that was very tightly knit) that I unravelled.  It looked as if it was done on size 9 needles....  Anyways I am re knitting it in st. stitch with a garter stitch border, and on size 14 needles.  I have been working on it for about a week and a half and am almost half way done.  It is about 4.5 feet wide and should be about 6.5 feet long when I am finished.  I got the sweater at goodwill, and so the whole cost of the project has been only $4.  I bet you could make an even bigger one if you used 2 or more sweaters with the yarn knit together on huge needles. have fun!
--cassiemarie   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dahlea
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004 06:53:23 PM »

Search for "hot damn afghan" You will find a million different versions, and I know you were saying you might want to do patchwork, but this is supposed to be a lot faster and the finished ones I've seen are awesome. Plus you can use all different colors, all different types of yarn, so you could maybe buy up all the ones you find on sale? To make it cheaper or whatever. hth
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KaJ

My Mommy made this!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2004 09:11:30 AM »

I just joined a knit swap, where u send everyone on your list 2 6" squares and u receive from everyone enough to make a 8' by 8' afghan. It runs Aug thru Dec so it's enough time for christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wordie
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2004 05:01:05 PM »

dahlea, i'm not sure i understand about the hot damn afghan--does it involve holding multiple strands at once, or is it just switching when you feel like it? i can't find any pictures of a finished one to see up close.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dahlea
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004 06:27:15 PM »

HOT DAMN AFGHAN Sold at better department stores in this area for $800 - $1,000. The reason for the name Hot Damn? Well, if you can do it from $50 to $250, what do you say when you realize how much you can save? See? You say "Hot damn!"

You can use size #15, 17, 19, 35, or 50 needles...you can use three, four, five, six, or even seven strands of yarns.
You can use El Cheapo yarns or go whole hog with mohair, silks, nubbies, slubbies, or? You'll need approximately 700 yds. of each yarn to make an average size throw...add more if you want to make it bigger.

Make more sense? Sorry, I can't find any pics right now either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter Q
How to Create a 3D Effect in Graffiti
How to Avoid Drips in Graffiti
Cutting Tips in Graffiti
Flaring for Shadowing in Graffiti
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...