A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 72
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Stitch Diva Pattern/Glampyre sweater  (Read 122894 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dawnya00
« Reply #300 on: September 02, 2006 08:45:27 PM »

I used Summer Tweed and a sequin-esque carry along. I am done with the body and ready to start the neck, but looking at the modifications, I think I want to rip back to the start of the lace, remove the purl ridges and keep it more simple. I and small but curvy so I like a clean line.

Waffling on this for sure. Do I want to wind all those skeins up again? But, will I be happy with it as is?
 Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slimissaw
« Reply #301 on: September 03, 2006 10:13:25 AM »

I just bought 14 skeins of Berroco Softtwist in a deep purple color for $3.75 a skein!  from WEBS.  I can't wait to get started... i think i like the version without the purl ridges, but I'm not sure yet...   Undecided  I guess I'll have to wait until I start to see what I want to do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Simply do not ask me what this is all about, parce que je ne sais pas, mes chers." --Holly.

http://needlephile.blogspot.com
GoldfishGirl

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: September 03, 2006 03:17:34 PM »

Dawnya00- please please post pictures of what ypu have done so far!
I have a bag of Summer Tweed languishing in my stash and I'd love to knit this sweater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
elisha

if not now, when?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: September 03, 2006 07:20:25 PM »

ok, i am done with the body!  Grin
by the way, dawnya00, i also considered leaving out the purl ridges, and i didn't...so here is what the body looks like on me with them...
so far I am pleased with how it is coming out. i am making the small, and i am surprised that it is coming out a little big...which i guess is good considering i also prefer the 'look' of the long-sleeved version:

sorry for the onslaught of pictures! (just imagine what it will be like when i finish it!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...the whole world is a narrow bridge, and the main thing is to have no fear at all...
SylvChezPlum
Knitting and crocheting in France

J'adoooore Crafster !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: September 04, 2006 05:02:30 AM »

Elisha, it looks SOO great !! I'm also relieved to see the fit of your size small, as I'm also doing that size, and hope to have a looser fit like the long-sleeved  version..
(am only 2 rows from separating sleeves, can't wait to try it on for first time  !!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patterns & free Patterns: ChezPlum - Blog - Etsy -
Rav - Craftsy
detroy
« Reply #305 on: September 04, 2006 05:57:10 AM »

Nice pictures! But I'm worried.... my last one was frogged because it was HUGE (my fault, wrong gauge), now I'm at correct gauge but making the same size (2nd smallest). I just put the sleeves on holders, tried it on and it "seems" to fit, but how do you really tell much at this point? Everything I make is always too big on me, I probably should have made a small but I have a fear of too-tight sweaters. I usually wear a size 2 or 4. I don't want to start this over again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TallGrrl
« Reply #306 on: September 04, 2006 08:44:40 AM »

Everything I make is always too big on me, I probably should have made a small but I have a fear of too-tight sweaters. I usually wear a size 2 or 4. I don't want to start this over again.

Tips for knitting pieces that will actually fit you like you want:
1) ALWAYS knit a swatch and check to see if you're hitting gauge.
2) Look at the garment's schematics: This will tell you the dimensions of the actual knitted pieces.
Patterns will give you directions to fit a particular size, but you have to look at the schematics to see the actual knitted dimentions the garment will have in that size. This will include body, sleeve and armhole length as well as bust measurements.
This all has to do with the ease of a garment.
For example, a sweater to fit a size 36, could measure 34, 36, 38, 40, 44...depending on if the ease is very close, close, standard, oversize etc.
Schematics are great tools in customizing the fit of your knitted garments.
This should take care of any hit-and-miss knitting!
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
koshare
« Reply #307 on: September 04, 2006 09:16:17 AM »

Everything I make is always too big on me, I probably should have made a small but I have a fear of too-tight sweaters. I usually wear a size 2 or 4. I don't want to start this over again.

Hmmm.... if you are that small, you may not be happy with the fit of the 2nd smallest size unless you are going for a looser look like Elisha's. I wear a size 8, sometimes a 10 and I'm making that size (gauge is dead on) and I think it fits perfectly, it is fitted, not loose.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
KnittingWounded
Knitting Wounded

Taking yarn from kitties!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: September 04, 2006 11:07:52 AM »

Ooh, I'm surrounded by tiny folks!  Is anyone else knitting one of the larger sizes?  I'm knitting the 40-42 (well, reknitting, my gauge was off too) and was wondering hoe it sizes up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stormshade
« Reply #309 on: September 05, 2006 12:10:35 AM »

In the midst of renovation chaos, I've finally found the time to finish my "tester sweater".
Before diving into the Tilli Tomas I decided to knit a sample sweater in a cheap yarn I had in my stash -  Elann Connemara Endless Summer 100% cotton at $1.78 ea.  I'm glad I did too because it sure took a lot of abuse!  I doubt the Tilli could hold up.
This was a major stash buster project as I also used a bunch of stash beads.  I ended up running out (and couldn't get more) of the seed beads that I used on the lace bits so I used some teeny beads I had in my stash (forgot the official name.....thus the term teeny beads).  These I strung on black thread and used it as a carry along with the rest of the yarn.  These beads are smaller but shine brighter than the round seed beads on the lace.  It just looks like the beads glow a bit brighter around my face.  :-D  I really like how it came out.  The clear beads against black yarn look like little diamond chips sprinkled around the collar.
I had to frog the first collar I knit because I picked up too many stitches and it ended up looking like a small cowl.  

Normally I'm a size 8 sometimes 6, depending on cut and designer.  I knit the medium size sweater and added length prior to starting the lace bits at both the waist and the arms.  The best suggestion I'd have is to definitely take the time to try it on!  See where the lace is falling and choose to knit more or not.  I also added length after the lace at the waist. I definitely like longer sweaters and sleeves so I usually add length to most of my things. The one thing I wish I'd done is to knit a little bit wider of a lace panel since I'm so long waisted.
Size 7 needles gave me the larger gauge but I never was able to get the smaller gauge.  I struggled with size 2's for the waist but switched to 3's for the rest and it was much easier.  I did use double pointed needles for the sleeve lace.  It was awkward at first but soon mastered it.  Yay for new skills!

Since I'm worried about the stretch of the Tilli silk I contemplated knitting the next one in the small size but I've decided against it.  I really like a looser fit and the drape of the silk will just make it that much better.

I agree with a lot of what has been said by Almndladybug and others about this sweater.  
I found that I also really love this pattern.   It's such a fun and interesting construction. The fact that it's seamless with very little finishing is just a dream to me.  My one recommendation would be to add length.  Also, despite not getting the smaller gauge, I still wouldn't consider knitting on a needle smaller than 3's.
After the Tilli I'm planning on knitting another in either Plymouth Royal or Madil Eden bamboo OR Misti Pima Cotton Silk.  I think those yarns would be perfect for this.  Still not sure if I'll do the purl ridges on all of them.  But I do admit, I've always loved the fashions on the Jetsons.   Grin

Here are a couple of pics.  A few more are on my Picture trail site. http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=12206087&uid=2462320

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010 02:30:17 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

See some pics of my knitting http://www.picturetrail.com/stormshade
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 72 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
David Mas Masumoto Talks About Wisdom of the Last Farmer
Leila Sales Talks About Mostly Good Girls
Chuck Hogan Talks About The Town
Meet Author Annabel Karmel
Elizabeth Scott Talks About The Unwritten Rule
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...