A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,961
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Floppy Hat - Tutorial  (Read 16768 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sugabeats
« on: August 03, 2004 10:42:56 PM »

I finished my first hat today! It's nice and big for my huge head (a large head with big hair makes hat-buying headache inducing! Also, we're leaving for a road trip soon and it would be nice to have something to shield my eyes from the blinding sun!) I tried to make a pattern off of a travel hat, but that proved too difficult for me.  So I made a pattern up myself and after 2 prototypes and 2 trips to the fabric store I was satisfied. (Did you know canvas doesn't wash well? I know that NOW.)

http://www.sugabeats.com/journal/floppymohat.jpg
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013 10:56:04 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Allergic2preps
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004 11:42:38 PM »

thats so cute!   how did you make it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugabeats
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004 11:05:03 AM »

Here are the basics to make the hat (I'm leaving soon so I must get back to packing!)  I used 1/2 yard of twill fabric (bottom weight denim-like), 1/2 yard of lining fabric, and a 1/2 yard of stiff interfacing.

1. Figure out how big you want your hat - measure around the crown of your head and add a little for ease if desired.
2. Take 1/2 that measurement and trace a half moon shape on a piece of paper using a compass (or a string tied to a pencil).  Add in seam allowance below half moon shape (I used 1/4").
3. Measure out the width of your brim and include seam allowance - I did 3 1/4" (includes 1/4" seam allowance). Make a larger half moon shape that is 3 1/4" away from the original half moon.
4. To make the crown part (I am not sure it that is the correct terminology...but it'll have to do) take you original crown measurement and divide it into 4.  Add 1/2" (for 1/4" seam allowance) and draw that as a striaght line - then bump the center of the line up 1/4" and round out to the edges (to make a slightly curved line).  Then, depending on how high you want your hat (I did 3 1/2" inches - which includes 1/4" seam allowance) - draw your lines based on this amount.  Measure along the inside of your half moon and use this measurement to figure out the top of the crown part (allow for seam allowance).  Do the same thing where you bump up the center 1/4" to round out the line.
5. Cutt out your pattern pieces (there should be 2) and lay them on the fabric.  Place the half moon on the fold and cut 1 (the inner circle of the moon is the top of the hat), place the crown part on the fabric and cut 4 total.  Cut one of the brim on the fold of the interfacing. You will need to repeat all of the cutting on your lining fabric. I suggest cutting 2 of the brim in your heavier fabric and using a lighter-weight fabric for the lining of the crown and top.
6. Are you still with me? Sew the 4 pieces of the crow part together - both the outer and lining fabrics.  Leave one of the lining seams partially open for turning.
7. Attach the crown parts to the top parts.
8. Attach the crown/top parts to the brim - attach the interfacing to one of the brims.
9. Clip all curves.
9. Sew the two brims together and turn right side out.
10. Sew a spiral pattern around the brim to make it more sturdy.

I apologize for the lack of pictures - I will try to add them later when I get back from vacation.  I would also like to apologize in advance for any errors/confusing parts in the directions.

Good luck!

P.S. I would also recommend making your first one out of muslin to figure out the fit. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
fabricfightsfire
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006 03:45:37 PM »

really nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Craftrica

I love being out in the wild!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007 09:42:31 PM »

Hi, Sugabeats, I have just found your floppy hat post today, and it is just what I am looking for! Did you ever post a pattern/tutorial for that hat?  I would love to make one like it. Or otherwise an explanation on how you designed your own pattern? I am so hopeless when it comes to these things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do not go where the path might lead - go instead where there is no path and
leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson.
pinkukulele
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008 09:21:53 PM »

Maybe I'm too tired - I don't understand the tutorial! What exactly do you mean by "crown"? Tell me that and we'll go from there! It's such a lovely hat, I want to make one for me and one for my hubby! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftrica

I love being out in the wild!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008 09:24:35 PM »

Thanks for the instructions! I want to make one this weekend. It is summer in my part of the world!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do not go where the path might lead - go instead where there is no path and
leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson.
clarabelle4568
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008 03:45:54 PM »

merci beaucoup pur ce beau tutorial!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating Margins and Columns
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Viewing Images in a Slideshow
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Filtering, Reordering and Sorting Files in Bridge
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Saving a Workspace, Rating and Labeling
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Viewing Files in Bridge
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...