A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,911
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: create a stencil from almost any picture! with tutorial  (Read 1497 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

firepixie
ska-gypsy, my favorite colors are jingly and checkerboard

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2006 08:57:08 AM »

ok so i wanted to do a stencil of a sink with the plumbing underneath showing and everything....obviously that wasn't a very popular thing to stencil, in fact the way i got the idea was by trying to think of something that hasn't been stenciled......inner-dialog:   "they've stenciled everything but the kitchen sink!"  "wait!  thats it! I'll stencil the kitchen sink!"

okay so while trying to create this stencil (normally i like to make my own, no worries about copyright and someone else having the same stencil)  i have found out a few tips....all you really need for one of your own stencils is MS Paint!

1)  pick an image you like  (generally the more contrast/starker the colors are the better, but it dosn't matter too much with this)

2) right click it and select "Save Picture As..."  and put the image in a place you'll be able to find it

3)  Open up microsoft paint, and then go to file; open; and find/select your image

4)  use a think paintbrush, straight line draw-er, and/or curve line draw-er to go over the most important lines  (for me it was the edge of the sink, edge of the basin, drain, and faucet/knobs) 

5)  go to file;save as...   and enter a different name for your image (ex: sinkb/w)  and pull down the drop box underneath the name, from the choices select: Monochrome bitmap......this will turn your image black and white(not grayscale!  stark black and white)....   a promt box will come up waring you that you will lose color information, just hit yes....

6)  this will be the part that makes you happy that you went over the main lines....there will probably be some random chunks of black or white, but the main image should  still exist, anyone with basic knowledge of paint should be able to get rid of these either with eraser or (for the larger chunks)  a rectangle selector(not to be confused with rectangle draw-er)

don't forget to draw bridges to the islands in your picture!!!!

the best part of doing it this way is that if your are really talented in paint then you can add parts that you want  (like the plumbing for my sink)

i guess thats all.......if this is in the wrong place i apologize!

stargirl the skagirl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

once upon a time in the land of flowers and rhyme and living was easy with eyes wide open a young girl flew all about the world shutting her eyes and smiling for no reason- Jke "the lost poet" johnson
peacock Thief 8
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006 11:35:43 AM »

thanks so much! i never knew how to do just black and white on ms paint
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spindle

sewing breaks stereotypes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006 10:13:14 PM »

Wow, this was really helpful, thanks!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Roonil Wazlib= Best nickname ever!!!
Mimi055
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006 04:03:18 AM »

Thanks for this tip! This is great for me as I don't have photoshop!! Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mAsQuErAdInG aS A nOrMaL pErSoN eVeRyDaY iS eXhAuStInG!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tati Westbrook: GlamLifeGuru
Katie McBroom: Martinis and Mascara
Carla Kokoszka: Fashion Maven Mommy
Arielle Thibodeaux: Beauty By Arielle
Cara Brook: Maskcara
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...