A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Edmonton  (Read 3204 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chloe_hippy
« on: July 05, 2006 07:18:27 AM »

Hi everyone, I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but my husband and I are planning to move to Edmonton Alberta, in September of this year,

I have never ever been to Alberta in my life, neither has he, and we currently live in Nova Scotia.

i am just posting this to get an idea of what to expect, we live in a small town here, no yarn shops, no pet stores, etc.

my husband is a fish keeper, and i interested in finding out what, if any stores that are around that he will have to spend his time in, and i a knitter/crafter and looking to find out what i can look forward to in terms of crafting/yarn shops.

can anyone help us out?

Carrie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lindz85
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006 08:43:03 AM »

There are a few yarn/knitting stores here in Edmonton.  Being reasonably new knitter on a budget (and without a car) I haven't been able to go check most of them out yet.  Ewe asked For It, Rivercity Yarns, Knit and Purl, and Wool Revival are on my list to visit.  I buy most of my yarn at places like Walmart and Zellers, they tend to have an okay selection if your looking for the less expensive stuff.  Also there's always the big box craft stores like Michaels to check out. Your husband might want to check out Big Al's Aquarium on 99st, they have all kinds of tropical fish and aquarium supplies. Hope this helps, good luck with the move!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
re
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006 09:09:05 AM »

Congratulations - and welcome!

You wont find a shortage of work here! We have many friends from back east, who have come here for work, be it military, construction or oil related.its just such a booming area, I guess.

There is alot to choose from, as well as what Lindz85 mentioned, there are craft places like Michaels all over the city, and smaller shops too. (due to the cold winters, there are no shortage of crafts supply places).
our main fabric chains are Fabricland and Marshall's.

Edmonton is definately not the largest city, I don't know NS, so I wouldn't know what to compare it to, but we have no lack of amenities.

my hubby is also into his fish - if yours is interested there is a 'fish club' where people online can buy/trade fish from each other, or aquarium parts. Big als is defiantely a favorate, or as well we have petsmart, petcetera (big brand stores) and PJ's pets.
there are alot of small pet supply stores as well in the malls that sell fish.

good luck to you, and if you need any more ideas or help, I would be glad to help you out!
-re
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kristieb

Compulsive Crafter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006 10:34:58 AM »

I hope you enjoy Edmonton. It's a great city with a lot to offer for crafters.

We should have an Edmonton Craftster get together in September.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etheren
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006 09:07:37 AM »

There is a fish store on 99st 81 ave that my DH really likes, it's small and and independent but he enjoys it more than big box Petsmart stores.  Next time we pass by I will check out the name.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kidcompassion

get down off your high horse and buy me a taco.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006 11:03:38 AM »

We should have an Edmonton Craftster get together in September.

i know we had all talked about maybe doing an edmonton swap over the summer. i'm still in, if anyone's interested, let me know here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=116828.0

i'll totally organize. maybe we could have a post-swap get-together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beadbakery
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008 10:28:34 AM »

Did anything ever happen? Was there a get together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Milfette
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008 06:47:20 PM »

ya was there a meet? ive been such a lurker here on craftster, but after 4 months... i never thought to check if there were other Albertans...

Who misses lewis craft??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Short Hair Saviours: Heatproof Summer Hair Tips
Wedding Hair Styles: How to Get the Wedding Updo
Braided High Ponytail Tutorial
How to Do Cute Festival Plaited Buns
How to Do a French-Twist Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Belted Chair Seat
Tute Tuesday: Rainbow Skirt
Who? Who Loves Owls?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...