A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Etsy Shop: Stick to one type of craft or a little of everything?  (Read 8219 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FadingHippie
and God sees a flower...

Ruffles and Pearls... and Anthropologie Delights

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009 05:59:22 AM »

I'm prettying much echoing what's already been said... But I think the ONLY time opening a second shop might be appropriate would be if you plan on selling vintage wares as well - just so people don't confuse the handmade by the vintage.

I myself sell all things that have a feminine vibe - I call them feminine findings. Vintage and handmade..

So if you have a cohesiveness then I think you're golden.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whitelilycreations
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009 06:41:12 AM »

Ok, I have so many ideas of things I want to do, so I made a list then separated the by category (they are all bath and beauty items) so it's like Bath, Makeup, Hair. I plan to launch the Bath line this winter, then bring the makeup in the spring and the hair in the summer.  What I'm wondering is if I should make three different etsy accounts, or should I make one big shop with different categories?  I'll also eliminate things that don't sell well along the way so my list wont be quite as big as it is now.  Thanks for any advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.whitelilycreati ons.etsy.com -Visit my etsy shop for custom banners, digital collage sheets, and other great graphics!

www.WhiteLilyJewelr y.etsy.com for my jewelry shop!
syri

Painfully Plain

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009 12:12:47 AM »

Ok, I have so many ideas of things I want to do, so I made a list then separated the by category (they are all bath and beauty items) so it's like Bath, Makeup, Hair. I plan to launch the Bath line this winter, then bring the makeup in the spring and the hair in the summer.  What I'm wondering is if I should make three different etsy accounts, or should I make one big shop with different categories?  I'll also eliminate things that don't sell well along the way so my list wont be quite as big as it is now.  Thanks for any advice!
Truthfully, all these things are beauty products and can totally all be sold together. You don't need to put yourself through the hassle of trying to seperate them and manage a bunch of different shops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009 02:02:10 PM »

Okay, so I've slowly been accumulating stuff to create an etsy shop, but I have noticed that most shops are focused around a particular trade (jewelry, paper crafts, sewing, etc) and I have multiple areas of interest. Is it somehow bad for sales or something to have one shop with lots of types of things? I've seen that some people have multiple shops to accommodate their multiple interests, but I really don't have enough stuff to merit like four different shops.

So what do you think? Is it harder to do lots of stuff with one etsy shop?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009 08:49:45 AM »

I have noticed that too olive_juice. I do more than just one thing & I also want to sell some supplies too, but I only have a few items. Ithink to open multiple shops, you would need more than just a few things for each shop. If you don't have a lot of things, then I don't see why you can't just create a new section in your shop. I was thinking of re-designing my shop sections: Sewing Section, Herbal Section, Supply Section, Wood Section, etc. - making the sections very general, cause I'll only have a few items in some sections, not a whole bunch of stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarshoxcrafts
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009 01:12:51 PM »

I would definately have a variety of items in my store.  That, in fact, is what is saving my store for the time being.  My sewing machine broke last night and I won't be able to make any more wallets or pillows (or anything sewn for that matter) until at least Saturday.  If I get a sale, that's another thing-I would probably buy a new machine if that happened.  This way I can focus on some of the other things I make--like book crafts and jewelry.

Having items from different categories also gives you different positions in the area of competition for each category.  The jewelry category tends to, as some say, be oversaturated so it helps to sell some other types of crafted things in order to get your shop noticed.  You might do better in categories where the competition is different.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallets, Jewelry, & Home Decor from Recycled Materials: http://sugarshoxcrafts.etsy.com

Facebook: http://facebook.com/sugarshoxcrafts
supersolar

ripping stiches builds character

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009 05:47:07 PM »

When you start out selling for the first time, it'd be good to branch out and spread your crafting wings.  (I just started with a few different things i enjoy doing, and i'm trying those out (no success so far D:)).  but you have to find out what "your etsy consumer" wants to buy, which is totally a trial and error kind of thing.  i believe there was a storque article about finding your etsy niche.

EDIT:  here it is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist!
etsy!

i am a cake bandit.  and a nerd.  and i make stuff.  and i am in love with racer x.
ideabrain
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009 03:06:07 PM »

My personal feeling is specialization in one craft is the key to your success!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wastenotworkshop
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009 05:51:43 PM »

I'm glad to find this thread as I have had the same questions. I have many different things on my shop but I think it's cohesive. I suppose by shop would be considered an eco-shop or a green shop. I used a lot of recycled, reused materials, etc. My questions is this - Do potential customers have more faith in the quality of your products if they perceive you to be an expert at something (versus someone who works in several different mediums) or doesn't it matter?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

darkladymajesta
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010 09:49:26 AM »

when buying stuff online i like to combine shipping, so if your shop has multiple items i like (but are different categories) I am more likely to buy both because I save on shipping. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Bronzer
How to Get Rid of Dark Circles and Baggy Eyes
How to Get a Fresh, Peachy Glow
Fourth of July Nail Art Tutorial
How to Get Smooth Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...