A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 304,741
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Etsy Shop: Stick to one type of craft or a little of everything?  (Read 8511 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

din4
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010 11:57:55 PM »

This is an interesting topic. Thank you for those who gave inputs.. Smiley

http://madewithbliss.blogspot.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RamenQueen
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010 08:55:38 PM »

ok so i just started an esty store ( totally no existant at the moment but ive signed up!)

I dabble in various things that strike my fancy but i am particularly talented at drawing ( not to toot my own horn).
I want to along with my crafty bits ( crochet, small trinkets, upcycled doodads, etc) to produce art prints...
I have 3 parts to my query...

1. Is thing a good combo? all of my things will have a fun and eklectic vibe

2. With the myriad of talented folk who do art exclusively ...do i have a shot?

3. (slightly off topic) I am currently residing in a smokers home ( only for 8 more weeks! no offence Smoky Crafters but I'm a Non-smokie!- and I am thinking art prints would be the best as I can take then to a Kinkos or such and have them printed and shipped as my orders come in and not have them smell liek ciggies....or should I just wait til Aug and do it then ( like I am with the other crafty bits)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty gurll
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010 09:04:58 PM »

Congrats on your etsy!  Here's your 3 part answer  Wink :

1.  Put it all out there and see what happens.   Cheesy  At one point I had stoneware pottery, soap and sewn items in my etsy at one time, and sold all three categories.

2.  You totally have a shot, have faith in yourself!   Cheesy

3.  Maybe hold off on anything that would hold the smell of smoke(like crochet), or mention it in your ad.  As a former smoker, the smell doesn't bother me, but some people absolutely freak out about it.

Good luck!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

azreno
Lynn

I hate boxes!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010 07:03:43 AM »

Huh When I see a shop that does not have a cohesive theme/product line, I generally do not look long. They usually look very garage sale like to me and that the owner doesn't focus on any one thing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Banga
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011 06:52:21 AM »

Huh When I see a shop that does not have a cohesive theme/product line, I generally do not look long. They usually look very garage sale like to me and that the owner doesn't focus on any one thing. 

I agree that this can be off-putting, but great photos can make a real difference even if you have variety in the product line. If you sell bags, necklaces, and knit items more example, they can all be photographed on similar backgrounds with similar light or on the same models. I find that a "style" in photos makes a shop look cohesive even if the items aren't all the same (I think I Sew Cute mentioned this earlier!). I'm far from a pro having just opened my shop, but I've been a shopper for a long time and that's just what draws me in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
seaofstars
sew serious

mmmmm... fabric!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011 11:13:55 AM »

I'm re-opening my etsy shop after a few years of being MIA and I do like to do a bit of everything, but I think I maintain a good overall feel and theme. My stuff has a sort of signature look to it I think (and hope!), so I think doing a bit of this and that can work.

But I have seem shops that just look all over the place. I think it's best to stick with one type of thing and do your best to perfect it.

and like it's been said.. Photos make a huge difference and can really make a shop cohesive even with a mix of products.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shop
http://sewserious.etsy.com

Blog
Blog Giveaway happening right now! Ends Monday, March 7th. Stop by for details on how to win a free zipper pouch!
http://sewserious.blogspot.com
babyphunk
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011 06:54:44 PM »

heya

i admire people who have one type of product and it sells well, but for most of us we do a range of things till we work out whats the best for us Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ModernButtercup
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011 06:16:17 PM »

I think it's great to make a variety of goods- as long as they all look somewhat similar and have a unique style to them. It creates good branding and gives a certain "look" to your shop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RoGryphon

Addicted to crafting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012 06:21:10 PM »

I had been wondering if I should put different things on Etsy.  Thanks for all the input.  I do a little pottery and glass but I made some felt items for xmas and thought about putting them in my shop but figured that would be to confusing.  I like the sectioning idea very much.
It's great to see these discussions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Create just because you can.

My Blog: http://gryphonwyck.blogspot.com
My EtsyShop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/gryphonwyck
Squiver
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2012 12:44:41 AM »

I've always fretted about this as well. I've been slowly making the necessary preparations to open up my Etsy shop, my issue being that I make macrame, wood, and wire jewelry in about equal measure (combining them whenever possible for something unique) and I didn't want to have to forego one for another.

I'm glad people here seem to think having a mongrel shop is acceptable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Ways To Wear High Waisted Denim Shorts
Something New: Bridal Shoes By Brian Atwood
The Trick To Getting Rid Of Armpit Stains
How To Conceal Tan Lines
Tips For Cleaning Out Your Closet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...