A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 301,540
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Etsy Shop: Stick to one type of craft or a little of everything?  (Read 8903 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lizzy.cos
« on: July 05, 2006 06:30:06 AM »

Hi
I opened up my etsy store a few months ago and so far have only sold one item.  I haven't made much effort to spread the word yet and know that I need to do that. I make bags - mainly patchwork. I was wondering what other sellers think about selling a variety of different goods in their Etsy store.  Do you think that it's best to get known for making a particular thing or do you have greater selling success if you offer a wider range of goods.  I was thinking about making some other patchwork items - maybe skirts or childrens clothing - and perhaps some crocheted and knitted items.  I would welcome any comments or suggestions on my store -
www.rainydaybags.etsy.com
Many thanks !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarinthemorning

I love to knit, sew, and embroider!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006 04:45:12 PM »

Well, the way I see it, if you make knitted items, you'll get buyers looking for knit items. But when they see one of your patchwork bags, they may decide to buy one. I would personally put tons of different things, this way you can bring in a lot of customers looking for different things, and hopefully, buying more than they would have.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiwicandyz
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006 05:16:50 AM »

Hey!

My etsy store specializes in the monstrous category of jewelry.  I haven't sold anything yet, but I've noticed that after I posted a few of the sewing items I made, it brought a lot more traffic to my shop as well as more views to my jewelry items.

I figure, if you're multitalented, post those items and you can get more exposure in different categories! Bringing in people from different markets to see your work. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://cmyk.etsy.com

Funky & Fun DIY Jewelry: cmyk_jewelry
lizzy.cos
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006 05:38:24 AM »

Yeah !
That makes sense.  I just had this notion that maybe it was important to have a strong sense of identity so that people would remember you for something specific. I guess I could try to have a distinctive style to all my work and that would draw things together.
I had more success selling on Ebay but I think that their fees are extortionate.  I also feel that the people who buy on Etsy seem to understand the true worth of one-off handmade items whereas the Ebayers just want a cheap bargain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009 08:17:03 PM »

Just wondering...I recently listed some items in my shop, all pottery.  But I would like to sell some sewn items, aprons, bags, etc.  Would it be better to have a second shop, specializing in that kind of stuff?  Or just sell everything in one shop:  pottery, purses, jewelry, etc?  Any feedback greatly appreciated! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009 04:34:23 PM »

I think if you photograph your items with a certain look...either background or lighting... they can look very cohesive... 

be sure to utilize your shop's sections.
I offer jewelry and hand embroidery patterns... so I just try to keep them sorted in their appropriate sections so they're easy for buyers to find.

Also, I use the 'featured items' slots to keep bringing forward items that would otherwise get buried behind the front page.

You can work a variety of things into your shop banner as well!

I think it's hard enough promoting one shop... I tried working 2 together & it was too much for me. If you were selling supplies and crafted items... it would make sense to keep those more separate!

Hope that helps! I'm no expert & can only speak from my personal experience!

Cheers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009 04:35:20 PM »

BTW... your avatar here rocks! I love that movie to pieces!

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
crafty gurll
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009 10:23:12 PM »

BTW... your avatar here rocks! I love that movie to pieces!

Grin

Best movie EVER! Wink

Thanks for the advice.  I took a look at your shop, awesome!  Great stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009 11:45:01 AM »

Seconding the advice you've already been given. I think it's pretty much ALWAYS a mistake with Etsy to open a second store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
crafty gurll
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009 03:12:00 PM »

Well, that settles it.  I am branching out and putting lots of things for sale.  Something is bound to sell. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FadingHippie
and God sees a flower...

Ruffles and Pearls... and Anthropologie Delights

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009 05:59:22 AM »

I'm prettying much echoing what's already been said... But I think the ONLY time opening a second shop might be appropriate would be if you plan on selling vintage wares as well - just so people don't confuse the handmade by the vintage.

I myself sell all things that have a feminine vibe - I call them feminine findings. Vintage and handmade..

So if you have a cohesiveness then I think you're golden.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whitelilycreations
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009 06:41:12 AM »

Ok, I have so many ideas of things I want to do, so I made a list then separated the by category (they are all bath and beauty items) so it's like Bath, Makeup, Hair. I plan to launch the Bath line this winter, then bring the makeup in the spring and the hair in the summer.  What I'm wondering is if I should make three different etsy accounts, or should I make one big shop with different categories?  I'll also eliminate things that don't sell well along the way so my list wont be quite as big as it is now.  Thanks for any advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.whitelilycreations.etsy.com -Visit my etsy shop for custom banners, digital collage sheets, and other great graphics!

www.WhiteLilyJewelry.etsy.com for my jewelry shop!
syri

Painfully Plain

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009 12:12:47 AM »

Ok, I have so many ideas of things I want to do, so I made a list then separated the by category (they are all bath and beauty items) so it's like Bath, Makeup, Hair. I plan to launch the Bath line this winter, then bring the makeup in the spring and the hair in the summer.  What I'm wondering is if I should make three different etsy accounts, or should I make one big shop with different categories?  I'll also eliminate things that don't sell well along the way so my list wont be quite as big as it is now.  Thanks for any advice!
Truthfully, all these things are beauty products and can totally all be sold together. You don't need to put yourself through the hassle of trying to seperate them and manage a bunch of different shops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009 02:02:10 PM »

Okay, so I've slowly been accumulating stuff to create an etsy shop, but I have noticed that most shops are focused around a particular trade (jewelry, paper crafts, sewing, etc) and I have multiple areas of interest. Is it somehow bad for sales or something to have one shop with lots of types of things? I've seen that some people have multiple shops to accommodate their multiple interests, but I really don't have enough stuff to merit like four different shops.

So what do you think? Is it harder to do lots of stuff with one etsy shop?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009 08:49:45 AM »

I have noticed that too olive_juice. I do more than just one thing & I also want to sell some supplies too, but I only have a few items. Ithink to open multiple shops, you would need more than just a few things for each shop. If you don't have a lot of things, then I don't see why you can't just create a new section in your shop. I was thinking of re-designing my shop sections: Sewing Section, Herbal Section, Supply Section, Wood Section, etc. - making the sections very general, cause I'll only have a few items in some sections, not a whole bunch of stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarshoxcrafts
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009 01:12:51 PM »

I would definately have a variety of items in my store.  That, in fact, is what is saving my store for the time being.  My sewing machine broke last night and I won't be able to make any more wallets or pillows (or anything sewn for that matter) until at least Saturday.  If I get a sale, that's another thing-I would probably buy a new machine if that happened.  This way I can focus on some of the other things I make--like book crafts and jewelry.

Having items from different categories also gives you different positions in the area of competition for each category.  The jewelry category tends to, as some say, be oversaturated so it helps to sell some other types of crafted things in order to get your shop noticed.  You might do better in categories where the competition is different.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallets, Jewelry, & Home Decor from Recycled Materials: http://sugarshoxcrafts.etsy.com

Facebook: http://facebook.com/sugarshoxcrafts
supersolar

ripping stiches builds character

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009 05:47:07 PM »

When you start out selling for the first time, it'd be good to branch out and spread your crafting wings.  (I just started with a few different things i enjoy doing, and i'm trying those out (no success so far D:)).  but you have to find out what "your etsy consumer" wants to buy, which is totally a trial and error kind of thing.  i believe there was a storque article about finding your etsy niche.

EDIT:  here it is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist!
etsy!

i am a cake bandit.  and a nerd.  and i make stuff.  and i am in love with racer x.
ideabrain
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009 03:06:07 PM »

My personal feeling is specialization in one craft is the key to your success!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wastenotworkshop
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009 05:51:43 PM »

I'm glad to find this thread as I have had the same questions. I have many different things on my shop but I think it's cohesive. I suppose by shop would be considered an eco-shop or a green shop. I used a lot of recycled, reused materials, etc. My questions is this - Do potential customers have more faith in the quality of your products if they perceive you to be an expert at something (versus someone who works in several different mediums) or doesn't it matter?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

darkladymajesta
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010 09:49:26 AM »

when buying stuff online i like to combine shipping, so if your shop has multiple items i like (but are different categories) I am more likely to buy both because I save on shipping. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
din4
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010 11:57:55 PM »

This is an interesting topic. Thank you for those who gave inputs.. Smiley

http://madewithbliss.blogspot.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RamenQueen
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010 08:55:38 PM »

ok so i just started an esty store ( totally no existant at the moment but ive signed up!)

I dabble in various things that strike my fancy but i am particularly talented at drawing ( not to toot my own horn).
I want to along with my crafty bits ( crochet, small trinkets, upcycled doodads, etc) to produce art prints...
I have 3 parts to my query...

1. Is thing a good combo? all of my things will have a fun and eklectic vibe

2. With the myriad of talented folk who do art exclusively ...do i have a shot?

3. (slightly off topic) I am currently residing in a smokers home ( only for 8 more weeks! no offence Smoky Crafters but I'm a Non-smokie!- and I am thinking art prints would be the best as I can take then to a Kinkos or such and have them printed and shipped as my orders come in and not have them smell liek ciggies....or should I just wait til Aug and do it then ( like I am with the other crafty bits)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty gurll
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010 09:04:58 PM »

Congrats on your etsy!  Here's your 3 part answer  Wink :

1.  Put it all out there and see what happens.   Cheesy  At one point I had stoneware pottery, soap and sewn items in my etsy at one time, and sold all three categories.

2.  You totally have a shot, have faith in yourself!   Cheesy

3.  Maybe hold off on anything that would hold the smell of smoke(like crochet), or mention it in your ad.  As a former smoker, the smell doesn't bother me, but some people absolutely freak out about it.

Good luck!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

azreno
Lynn

I hate boxes!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010 07:03:43 AM »

Huh When I see a shop that does not have a cohesive theme/product line, I generally do not look long. They usually look very garage sale like to me and that the owner doesn't focus on any one thing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Banga
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011 06:52:21 AM »

Huh When I see a shop that does not have a cohesive theme/product line, I generally do not look long. They usually look very garage sale like to me and that the owner doesn't focus on any one thing. 

I agree that this can be off-putting, but great photos can make a real difference even if you have variety in the product line. If you sell bags, necklaces, and knit items more example, they can all be photographed on similar backgrounds with similar light or on the same models. I find that a "style" in photos makes a shop look cohesive even if the items aren't all the same (I think I Sew Cute mentioned this earlier!). I'm far from a pro having just opened my shop, but I've been a shopper for a long time and that's just what draws me in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
seaofstars
sew serious

mmmmm... fabric!

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011 11:13:55 AM »

I'm re-opening my etsy shop after a few years of being MIA and I do like to do a bit of everything, but I think I maintain a good overall feel and theme. My stuff has a sort of signature look to it I think (and hope!), so I think doing a bit of this and that can work.

But I have seem shops that just look all over the place. I think it's best to stick with one type of thing and do your best to perfect it.

and like it's been said.. Photos make a huge difference and can really make a shop cohesive even with a mix of products.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shop
http://sewserious.etsy.com

Blog
Blog Giveaway happening right now! Ends Monday, March 7th. Stop by for details on how to win a free zipper pouch!
http://sewserious.blogspot.com
babyphunk
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011 06:54:44 PM »

heya

i admire people who have one type of product and it sells well, but for most of us we do a range of things till we work out whats the best for us Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ModernButtercup
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011 06:16:17 PM »

I think it's great to make a variety of goods- as long as they all look somewhat similar and have a unique style to them. It creates good branding and gives a certain "look" to your shop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RoGryphon

Addicted to crafting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012 06:21:10 PM »

I had been wondering if I should put different things on Etsy.  Thanks for all the input.  I do a little pottery and glass but I made some felt items for xmas and thought about putting them in my shop but figured that would be to confusing.  I like the sectioning idea very much.
It's great to see these discussions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Create just because you can.

My Blog: http://gryphonwyck.blogspot.com
My EtsyShop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/gryphonwyck
Squiver
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2012 12:44:41 AM »

I've always fretted about this as well. I've been slowly making the necessary preparations to open up my Etsy shop, my issue being that I make macrame, wood, and wire jewelry in about equal measure (combining them whenever possible for something unique) and I didn't want to have to forego one for another.

I'm glad people here seem to think having a mongrel shop is acceptable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 8 Fashion Flashbacks: 2011
Shiseido Shimmering Rouge Lipstick Review
5 Minutes to Bolder Eyebrows
Get Dramatic Metallic Eyes for Christmas
New Year Disco Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...