A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: plugs for gauged ears  (Read 5351 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

soclosetostars

nothing remains the same

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2004 02:58:15 PM »

Has anyone tried to make plugs for gauged ears?  My ears are a zero and I don't have the money to keep buying new ones when i'm tired of the ones i already have.  I want to attempt to make them but I don't know where to start.  I would probably need a mold to shape them.  Anyone tried this before? Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kim g
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004 03:34:23 PM »

just be careful of the materials you use to be sure they won't be an allergen/irritant to your skin. with that said, i wonder if resin would work. if you made a mold from some plugs that you already have, you could pour resin in. then you could embed little things in there. and you could probably work out a way to make them different colors, though i don't know what you use to color resin.

also, i wonder about the different clays that people on the board use. you could work with it until you got the right size and shape, then bake/fire it to make it permanent.

p.s. take everything i say with a grain of salt, in the knowledge that my earrings are like 16 or 18 guage (translation: no stretching at all when transitioning from regular earrings to my current jewelry.  Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
Miss Morbus
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004 04:09:44 PM »

i have heard of people using clays, although i dont know what kinds.  i have wondered about resin myself.  my ears are at zero also, and i would love to make neat resin ones, im just unsure of what that would do on my skin. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can kill you with my brain.
Toast.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004 05:44:03 PM »

heya!

well everyone i know who has stretched their ears ( including me) has used fimo. you know that stuff, you mould it and then bake it.
s far as i can tell its alright for sensitive ears ( i mean your ears can't be THAT sensitive if you're stretching them, can they?)
the only deal with fimo is, you need to make new ones every two weeks or so. because the stuff is poreous, ( sp) meaning it soaks up liquids. so it can end up pretty grotty, and even smelly ( depending on how rough you are when stretching).
anyway i wish you the best of luck and the least pain.
my ears are at 17mm, and i didn't spend enough time doing them. my advice to everyone : take your time. its worth it in the long run. mine came out fine, but i've seen sooo many that haven't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Slasm
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004 06:53:29 PM »

someone i know uses plastic knitting needles to stretch her ears, she used a butane torch to make them shorter and then melt then into a horseshoe shape that wirked pretty well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fishiegopook

why so blue, panda bear?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004 08:32:59 PM »

my first post, but I've been lurking for a while.  Grin

My lobes are at 1/2" and I mostly wear the same jewelry all the time (the ones I have in now have been there for a year.), but...

Clay is not a good material to stretch your lobes with.  Particularly fimo. It's porous and will cause lobe irritation.  If you want the fimo look, fill a hollow plug with the fimo, but by itself, it's not a good option.  At any rate, if you are going to wear it, only do so in healed lobes, never freshly stretched piercings.  For that matter, wood and bone aren't good options for freshly stretched piercings either.  You can double check me on the fimo thing at www.bmezine.com.

Plugs can be made out of glass, bone, or wood.  See woodbodyjewelry.com for examples or ideas as to what sorts of wood you could use.  Also, whoever said knitting needles, if you have the means to cut them down, that's not a bad option either.

I hope that helped..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Toast.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004 09:31:36 PM »

its true. bme does discourage people from using fimo. but that doesn't mean that people don't use it, and don't have any problems at all.
like i said, i know at least 10 people who have used fimo to stretch their ears ( including actualy piercers), and have had no problems. i'm one of them.
in saying that.. sure there are better things.. but they also cost more money.. we just used fimo cause it was all we could afford to use, what with changing sizes every two weeks or so.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ohnoamy
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004 08:20:11 PM »

I have not attempted homemade plugs as of yet but I would take xaution before doing so, if I were you. research it thoroughly and keep in mind that these are your ears and you want to keep them safe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

memory will rust and erode into lists of all that you gave me
kirawerm
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2004 09:43:15 PM »

I'm glad you are already have received some information, but i may have some things to add. While bme is a great source generally for a lot of information, I wouldn't take anything at face value (haha face)simply because opinions in the buisness vary so widely. Fimo is porous, and definitly not to use if you are switching sizes often, as you said, because of many reasons including that the tissue will heal thicker and slower than if it was a sealed surface. I used clay-past tense-for about 3 years in my stretched ears,up to 5/8 inch, and i know exactly the problem you mean with the grubby stuff on them. The problem is that that grubby stuff is fluid and bacteria, and becomes irritating, if not infection-causing. I realize that you know many people who have used them and had no problems, but that doesn't mean they won't. Like i said, i used them for three years before i had an allergic reaction to them, and i don't mean i had a little rash, i have lasting problems from it. In newly gauged ears, i would recomend using nothing but stainless and surgical grade steele, implantation grade if you can get it. the best advice i can offer as a piercer is this: If you don't have the time or the money to do it right and safe, then don't do it at all, because it won't be worth it in the long run. thank you for listening to my rant. let me know if you want me to list any materials that are suitable for fully healed (i consider fully healed maintaining one size for about 6 months)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2004 10:14:25 PM »

I have also had some bad experiences with fimo. It worked for me for a while, but they tended to get stuck (scary!!!) in my ears and not want to budge without alot of lube...the combination was not pretty. Since then, I've stretched with acrylic and stainless steel and have happy, healthy 1/2 inch lobes now.

and toast-
Are you on iam.bmezine? you look so familiar and I think that must be what it is...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ohthatashley.blogspot.com
I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Hand Turkey
How to Make a Diorama
How to Make a Christmas Yule Log
How to Make a Cardboard Desk
How to Do Drag Queen Lips
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...