A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
386 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my @ss + grommets: taking pillowcase skirts to a whole new level  (Read 82550 times)
Tags for this thread: skirt , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

juniperl13
The one with the stripes

you look like lunch to me! ^_^

View Profile WWW
« on: August 03, 2004 09:53:42 PM »

I have finished my latest greatest pillowcase skirt. It's been on hold for a few weeks while my grommeting kit made its slow, slow way here from canada. And so now, a couple hours and two numb fingers later, my masterpiece of repurposing emerges to make its world debut on craftster.

aaaaand the money-maker shot:

notice my mad detailing skills here in the form of parallel diagonal lines

these sneaky little lines not only disappear into the lacing and front zipper, they also match the gray waistband. i'm sad that somehow the shallow V of the waistband combined with the shadow cast by my shirt to make it look as though i have a potbelly. perhaps i will take another picture with the shirt held up later....

fun facts:

-this skirt cost $4.25 to make. most of that cost was grommets.
-it's so adjustable! (yay for things that will sell  Grin)
-i do not have a potbelly
-setting grommets for almost 2 hours makes part or all of your non-dominant hand go numb. something about reverberating steel....
-this skirt was improvised
-there is a hook&eye closure above the zipper, in the center of the waistband's V, just in case the zipper wants to try to come undone
-the edges of the ruffle are not serged. they were simultaneously rolled and zigzagged with the help of my very friendly overedging foot
-my egotistic ramble has gone on long enough, i think.
-i have just noticed that it needs to be ironed. oops!
-SOLD!.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004 05:24:25 PM by juniperl13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

Also, I have a blog at  http://neglectedblog.blogspot.com/
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004 09:55:30 PM »

WOW!!!   Grin  I really do need to try grommets...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

datgulnette20
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004 10:00:28 PM »

girlfriend that skirt is off the heezy   very  very nice    I'm amazed  very good work  i have to make me one like that it is     the bomb
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mj_elizabeth
maryjean

I love my staple gun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004 10:46:01 PM »

That is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! Cheesy I love it! Tutorial maybe?  Grin
Whats it like when you sit down though?  Do the grommets hurt your legs?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004 10:48:22 PM by mj_elizabeth » THIS ROCKS   Logged
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004 10:47:28 PM »

oh wow.. I LOVE that. If I had any skill whatsoever, I'd make one... it doesnt seem too hard.

And-please don't take this the wrong way- you have a nice ass.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
juniperl13
The one with the stripes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004 10:58:31 PM »

And-please don't take this the wrong way- you have a nice ass.

why thank you! i'm very fond of it too. it's definitely one of my better features. Wink

as for a tutorial, mj, it's just a basic pencil skirt with a panel inserted in the center back seam, an attached ruffle (there is most definitely a tutorial for ruffles on here somewhere), a hem and waistline that i just sort of cut to be how i wanted them to be before i attached the ruffle, and a lot of grommets. the waistband is plain old homemade bias tape.

i didn't try sitting in it *cough*. i'll do so now................................i am now sitting. in the skirt. it's just as comfortable as any other tight skirt, meaning once you get over the feeling that you're going to split the seams it's fine and a bit strange to not have your legs crossed at all times. it looks better standing anyway  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

mj_elizabeth
maryjean

I love my staple gun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004 11:08:19 PM »

Thanks Cheesy I might just have to do some work and figure out how to make one, thats how much I like it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ldpaulson
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004 12:33:33 AM »

HOLY SchMOLY!

Absolutely fanstastic. My @$$ would look like a sausage laced into that skirt. I am very envious of your assets and mad skills.

BTW ... what you do to sit in a pencil skirt is put your knees together, back straight and kind of twist your knees to the side. You don't sit on a chair, but rest with your hip bearing the weight in kind of a cock-eyed posture. It's best to keep the back straight as possible when doing this. Needless to say such garb is for dancing and mingling rather than dinner and a movie.

ldp
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juniperl13
The one with the stripes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004 12:49:46 AM »

hahHAHAHAHAHAAA I learned something new! my sitting is usually in strange splayed positions, so that might take awhile to get used to. i think i will cheat and make the next one out of stretchy fabric so that i can sit without fear of disasster (ha.ha.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ValleyGirl

Cast it down...throw down the fire....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004 08:52:33 AM »

My dear, that skirt is unbelivably hot! I love the grommets, i love the ruffles, but most of all i love the fabric! I was watching My Fair Lady, and i said to myself 'You know Mar, those corseted outfits would be just tiffy in modern day fabrics and 'Voila'! You've created one. It's soooo cute. If i could just manage a sewing machine better i would create one myself. So overall, very cute, reminds me of a corset top from Victorian times. Props to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm searching for the light in the darkness and that light is truth. Shine the light on me and let me breathe again....-M.C.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Cook a Tuna Fish
How to Make Smoked, Barbecued Ribs
Chicken and Supreme Sauce
Easy Breakfast Recipe
Trifecta Mac N’Cheese Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
May 4, 2016 Featured Projects
I propose a toast!
Tute Tuesday: Plastic Mesh Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...