A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Men's Oxford to Ruffled Halter (Now with Tute)  (Read 23190 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Drea4545

Nothing is so simple that it can't be screwed up

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2006 01:57:40 PM »

My husband was about to throw out this oxford... even though he has never worn it.

The colors were so beautiful, I took it from him and promised him I'd put it to good use.  2 hours later (my poor daughter watched 2 Sesame Street DVDs)...

I kept the buttons and added a ruffle to the bottom.
It doesn't show up too well on camera because of the muted colors.

This is so you can see the tie around the neck.

I wrote up a tutorial and will post it later, for anyone interested. (Tutorial is now below)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006 12:35:21 PM by Drea4545 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissC
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006 03:01:12 PM »

absolutely gorgeous. i adore it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fingertip
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006 03:55:54 PM »

love it!

great use out of an old (new) shirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The End.
holytararor

A good girl with evil tendencies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006 04:17:24 PM »

This is the cutest summer shirt I've seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drea4545

Nothing is so simple that it can't be screwed up

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006 12:18:58 PM »

Tutorial:
(This is my first tutorial, let me know what is unclear and I will attempt to fix it)

Ruffled Halter Tutorial

1.   Create bodice pattern.
I used one of my fitted shirts as a starting point and traced an outline of it.  Make your pattern something like this in your own size.  I added inch extra on all sides because it gives me wiggle room to fit it later.  I sometimes add more if I am making a top for someone with a larger bust and smaller waist.  You can take it in with darts later.  Here is what the front and back will look like.  The back should simply be the front cut off at the bottom of the arm hole. The lining will be the top third of the front piece.

2.   Layout and cut.  Center pattern on front of oxford so it buttons down the middle.  Cut the back from the back of the oxford.  Carefully cut off collar if you wish to attach it later.  From the bottom of the oxford, measure up about 4 inches (more or less, depending on size of ruffle you want) and cut straight across.  Cut apart 1 sleeve and use to make straps.  I cut 2 pieces 1.5 x 12 inches.  Cut front lining from leftover back piece, or another coordinating fabric.

3.   Front.  Cut lining in half.  Sew each lining to front piece (unbutton front to get 2 pieces too), rights sides together.  Sew armhole up to top of strap, leaving the top open.  Then sew neck and stop at button end.  Turn right side out.  Press.  Fold lining under at button or buttonhole edge and sew, following thread line.  Finish ends. Repeat with other side.  Button front back together.

4.   Add collar if desired. Cut it in half and finish raw edges.  Pin in place, folding collar over edge.  Lift up collar and sew.

5.   Straps.  Fold the two 1.5 x 12 inch pieces in half wrong side out.  Press. Stitch long side.  Turn right side out.  Press.  Repeat.  Tuck strap into open end of front of bodice at halter, tuck ends under and sew.  Repeat with the other side.  Finish raw ends of straps shorten if desired, and tuck raw edges in and sew closed.

6.   Back.  Place wrong side up.  Fold top edge over inch, press.  Fold over another1/4 inch and press. Sew top edge. 

7.   Darts.  Tie up your halter and stick the front over your head and tie it in place where you want it to lie.  Create darts at sides under bust.  Sew up the darts.

8.   Sew back to front.  Place right sides together, matching up at armholes.  Pin and sew.

9.   Cut away any extra material at the bottom.  Try it on and make any adjustments now, before you put on the ruffle.

10.   Make ruffle.  Take the bottom fabric you cut and adjust it in length.  If you want a flouncy ruffle, keep it as is.  For less ruffle, cut it down at the 2 seams and then resew those seams.  I cut mine down a little.  To create ruffle, set your tension to 0 and stitch length to longest possible.  On unfinished edge, sew 1 long continuous line.  Then, take 1 thread, and pull until material gathers.

11.   Attach ruffle. Unbutton shirt.  With right sides together, line up at seams and adjust.  Pin in place.  Sew. 

12.   Trim, finish raw edges.  Turn right side out.  Admire your handiwork.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006 12:29:52 PM by Drea4545 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maliaka
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006 09:06:59 PM »

Gosh, I hope this comes out right, but I think it's so cool to see someone who isn't another 15 year old trying styles like this. It's refreshing to see a mom (or so I assume from your avatar) take on such a breezy and youthful look, because it looks AMAZING, sexy and so freaking cute on you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Winter Lights Clothing ~
http://www.winterlights.etsy.com
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006 09:17:32 PM »

that is one remarkable make over!! YOu did a fabulous job. Did you have the design in mind when you started to cut it? It is truely great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlueKarma
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006 08:43:27 AM »

That is so cute on you!  Bet your hubby loves it, too.
Thank you for the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006 07:40:47 AM »

That is so cute.  Thanks for the tutorial. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006 07:44:20 AM »

Pretty!! I have one of my DH's old button downs that would be perfect for this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
KD 101: How to Make Gruyere Grilled Cheese
How to Make Your Own Applesauce
How to Make Turkey and Sweet Potato Hash
Simple Turkey Broth Recipe
Leftover Turkey Cobb Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...