A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,194
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Aunt Suzie my Angel  (Read 9985 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 04, 2006 01:51:52 AM »

First of all, please excuse my cellphone camera pictures, we're going out of town tomorrow and my husband packed the camera in the camper, which is at my parents' house.

As soon as I read the topic of this challenge, I knew I had to make a sock monkey for my aunt Mary Sue (or "Aunt Suzie" when I was little), who died 4/3/2005 of an Aortic Dissection. She was the neatest person, and I loved her so much. I want to give you a little background before I show you my monkey. Here's the blog I wrote when I first found out she'd died:
*disbelief*

The look on my father's face was something I've never seen before. "What?" I asked.

"Mary Sue died..." He said it like he was trying to convince himself.

Mary Sue is my aunt, and she doesn't die. She loves animals and plants, and has one of the few houses on Main Streen that is ever decorated for the holidays. She collects rainbows, spoils her granddaughter, and finds the neatest toys and gadgets. She details cars. She laughs easily. We had Christmas at her house this year.

She lived across the alley from us until I was five. She always gave me grape Kool-Aid when I came over. She sewed me a baby blanket. My middle name is hers.

Mary Sue doesn't die. It's just not something she's capable of. She's just a little older than my dad. How does she just... die?

6:47 pm - 04.03.05
Here's a little of her obit.
Mary S. Gaskill
Mary Sue "Rainbow Lady" Gaskill, 55, died of an apparent stroke on Sunday, April 3, 2005, at her home.
Mary Sue was a one-of-a-kind automobile detailer for G-T Auto Plaza. She was a loving mom, grandmother, sister, aunt and friend.
She loved rainbows, gardening, flowers, animals and life. She loved spending time with her grandchildren, family and friends. She also loved camping, biking and playing Frisbee. Mary Sue was the campground toy lady. She gave all the campground kids toys as they went by, even the noisy kinds that annoyed parents.
She always gave a helping hand to friends and strangers, alike. Mary Sue was the most hard-working woman you would even meet. She never would complain. Please remember Rainbow Lady for her peachy-keen compassion for life and love for all.
Here's my "Aunt Suzie" angel monkey (the backdrop is the blanket she made for me when I was a baby).

She's made completely of socks, except the frame of her wings and her stuffing.
Flower because she loved gardening, her yard was always so beautiful. She had plants all over inside her house too.

Broken heart for several reasons. It was her heart that tore and killed her, but also because she had a really hard life.

But she always had a smile, even when it hurt. She was the kindest, most generous, loving person ever, I swear.

I wish I would have had time to do more, I had so many ideas of accessories to make. But I've had "morning" sickness all day for a while and have been working a lot and just plain exhausted, and since we're leaving tomorrow, I had to finish up tonight.

I'm a bit emotional, I blame it on the pregnancy, and the fact that Aunt Suzie loved kids and would have loved to meet my baby.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009 05:20:45 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006 01:55:55 AM »

I don't have a picture of my aunt on this computer. I'll try to get one, but I don't know if I'll be able to because of the trip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006 03:25:44 AM »

Ohhhhhh, that is the cutest monkey angel and the sweetest tribute.
I love it - love it - love it!!!!!!!!  She would have been proud!

I'm sorry for your loss - but you were definitely blessed to know her Smiley

Good luck with your morning sickness - and don't ever let the baby play with the monkey - those eyes are definitely adorable but not baby approved!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
pinkangel1979
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006 04:09:23 AM »

Thank you for sharing your story and your beautiful sock monkey.  Good luck with your pregnancy- hope the sickness gets better soon. x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gishygoo
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006 05:58:30 AM »

Dooney,

You sound like an incredible woman.  Your tribute is so touching and I know that your aunt would have loved it.  You're going to make the best mom in the world!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out: www.gishygoo.blogspot.com
Everything is so wistical! www.wists.com/gishygoo
princesakati
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006 07:04:45 AM »

awwww... i swear I am tearing up!  that's so beautiful!!!

ps congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You've gotta sing louder if you want to stop war! -- Arlo Guthrie
OxMonkey
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006 07:49:26 AM »

i love it!
and...you made me cry  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bancher
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006 08:03:05 AM »

how touching, hon!  what a beautiful monkey angel you made for your aunt suzie!  a glowing tribute to her love and her light. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
PpCakes
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006 02:27:22 PM »

that monkey is adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my blog, its full of crafty awesome things, and life!

xo
http://ckscribbles.blogspot.com/
Totalele
Official lurker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006 03:29:06 PM »

Omg... Your aunt Suzie was exactly like my grandma and I felt just like you when she passed away... I'm actually tearing up reading your post... Cry

I absolutely LOVE your 'Angel' and that is a great tribute to her!! <3 <3 <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Short Seller By Elissa Brent Weissman
Behind the Scenes Inside the Baseball Hall of Fame Museum
The Little Mermaid: A Stunning Pop-Up from Robert Sabuda
Behind the Scenes of Double Feature With Owen King
Abbi Glines on The Vincent Boys
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...