A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheapo's Unite!  (Read 3767 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cinnamon teal
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2006 11:04:54 AM »

like some of you said, Universities are a great place to get free stuff.  My friend's dad did the plumbing for a sorority and on move out weekend he would bring back bags and bags of clothes for his daughters.  Some of it was like brand new expensive stuff - think designer jeans.

*A word of caution - avoid the couches and matresses.  You never know who has been doing what on those things  Lips sealed eww!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lookagnome
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006 04:48:24 PM »

i work at a fabric warehouse that is SO inconvenient to get to (its in another state!) that i can only afford to go in one day a week. i stand for 8 hours a day over boxes and boxes of total CRAP in order to find those 2 or 3 completely adorable items that i can ticket $.99 and put in my basket...
then i spend my entire lunch hour cleaning up the fabrics on the main floor so i can pick the ones i want and get 50% off.
i should also mention that the most a yard of fabric sells for here is $3... so i get bags and bags of supplies for under 50 bucks

i also work 2 other jobs and go to school full time. this is just something i do to get a discount
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teraspawn
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006 05:25:14 AM »

Tera, are you talking about The Works chain?  I find they have lots of good stuff pretty cheaply, and their online ordering is very good too - arrived very promptly.

Nah, it's called Right Price - I think it's an independent store.  It's AWESOME.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadyCregga
keeper of the castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2006 09:25:59 AM »

I find great deals at local estate sales on fabric great vintage prints!!
I mean I got a huge box about three foot by three foot for two dollars!
And it was packed full!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! -- What a Ride! -- Anonymous
avsceriline
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2006 09:36:33 AM »

If anyone is in the State College, PA area, Penn State runs an *awesome* program called Trash To Treasure. Basically, at the end of each semester, all the good, useable stuff (furniture, clothes, electorincs) that people don't want anymore are put in the lobby of the dorm buildings and given to the United Way. They run a HUGE sale in the football stadium in late May, and a couple smaller ones on-campus during the year. I used to buy BAGS of sweaters (at like $3 apiece) and unravel them for their yarn. Boy, oh boy, did I get nice yarn! For SUPER cheap! You wouldn't believe the stuff these kids would toss away. ('These kids,' lol...I just graduated 3 months ago!) Good times...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog | staarlight: my Etsywistsflickr

I <3 personal swaps! Check out my flickr page to see what I can do.
icebyrd67
hello beautiful world!

Where is the pony doctor?!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2006 09:45:03 AM »

ah you could do what i do and just salvage the laundry rooms after school lets out.  a lot of kids are lazy bums and just leave their unwanted clothing sitting on the tables.  if its been there for more than three days, its considered fair game.  ^^

also check laundrymats and drycleaners.  a lot of the local ones will let me have first pick before they take things to the salvation army.  ^^

I've taken to getting beaded jewelry from dollarstores and taking those beads to make my own jewelry out of.  fun.  ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to learn all about me? http://icebyrd67.livejournal.com/
http://www.wists.com/icebyrd67

looking for personal swaps - i need decorative table numbers for my wedding. want to have a place in my wedding? More details in my profile. PM me!
Jennickell
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2006 09:57:49 AM »

Also: I work at estate sales, and am allowed to "give myself a good deal" on all of the craft supplies that can be found in many basements / sewing rooms . . .even without the employee "discount", estate sales are a lot of fun and have great buys, especially on the last day when "bag sales" are offered (grab a bag and fill it with whatever for a set price, usually $5-10).  Just check newspaper listings or craigslist for one near you-

I am so freaking jelious, I want to work at estate sales, I have hinted to the one company that has them here that I would LOVe to work for them on the weekends, they havent taken the hint. Estate sales have the best fabric, yarn, etc.

I am the cheapest crafter in the world, well, so I think.
I buy most of my supplies on clearence, If there is something I just have to pay full price for, like thread, glue, etc. I wait till hobby lobby runs there 40% of one item sale and just keep going back over and over buying one item at a time.
I have never paid full price for yarn, ever, it all comes from clearance sections or from thrift stores, garage sales, etc.
And I love the craft supply swaps, I have gotten so much cool stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
icebyrd67
hello beautiful world!

Where is the pony doctor?!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2006 10:02:03 AM »

oh gosh!  michaels employee appreciation sell (50% off) on top of clearance prices..i'm getting yarn for like .50 a skein!  i love it!

last year i didnt get that much yarn but this year, i'm gonna try to beat the knitting teacher and get a lot of yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to learn all about me? http://icebyrd67.livejournal.com/
http://www.wists.com/icebyrd67

looking for personal swaps - i need decorative table numbers for my wedding. want to have a place in my wedding? More details in my profile. PM me!
KeenKitty
Accident free since...what time is it?

Because everyone loves a muppet...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2006 10:09:23 AM »

I wanted this Crimson and gold duvet cover.  For like EVER.  I even lloked into making it myself.  I found it at TJ. Maxx but it was 200.oo for the queen set!

So I went back once a week and moved it to the end of the row for like a month.

FINALLY I ended up getting it onsale for 45 bucks!

Then my water heater broke and flooded my apartment...

So I was walking down the street and saw "garage sale"  and being the cheapo person I am I went over and looked.  I was about to walk away when a gold peice of something caught my eye.  It ended up being a king sized gold oriental duvet cover embroidered with bamboo, cherry blossoms, lotus flowers and buddha statues!!!

It needed to be washed and had a small tear and button missing!  the lady took 3 bucks for it!

My bed is where I spend a lot of time (I have a spinal cord injury) so I am always looking for awesome cheaps stuff for the boudiour
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewingLori
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2006 10:13:50 AM »

At thrift stores, be sure to check out their bedding sections. A lot of my material stash is sweet bedsheets and pillowcases from the 60's and 70's. They cost about $.50 - $2.00 a piece and that is a lot of yardage. Especially when those tags are the 50% tags for the week. Wahoo!

I used to work at a millend fabric store called Piece Goods (RIP  Cry ) that is now out of business. Oh man - best job ever, despite the minimum wage paycheck that never covered the cost of my purchases. That place was the best. I have over 50 yards of avacodo green ball fringe that i got for a whopping total of $5.00. Oh... how I wish Piece Goods was still in business.

My Interior Designer cousin gives me the old walpaper books from her studio for my paper crafts.

And the neighborhood clean-ups... man, don't get me started. I need to stop. I'm very very very frugal. I think we need to give ourselves a lot of credit for being so darned inventive. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop Express Beta - Software Review
Adobe Photoshop CS4 Icons - Software Review
How to Create Gallery Image Part 2/2
How to Make an Unbelievable Image in Photoshop
How to Enhance a Dandelion Image in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...