A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
790 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making FrouFrou bigger?  (Read 1556 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Melesse
« on: July 03, 2006 04:33:09 AM »

So thanks to an off the cuff comment from my mother ("You have crochet thread! You're just like your Oma!") I'm now the proud owner of 4 crochet hooks, far too much yarn and a copy of The Happy Hooker. I'm planning on doing a number of projects eventually, but the one I'd love to do for myself is the FrouFrou.

The problem is the largest bust size listed in 50" and I'm 55" in the bust (and probably correspondingly bigger on all measurements). Is it possible to enlarge the pattern? If so could some kind soul walk me through it since I'm barely out of the sc dishcloth stage?

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sell stuff too! SkyWorks ~ It's all about the wistlists, babeee!

I do personal swaps... PM me.
zeeblebee
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006 05:55:06 AM »

I'm working on FrouFrou at the moment (Isn't she gorgeous?) and it seems to me that the structure of the basic garment is pretty simple; the back is the size of the back, the arms are the size of the finsihed arms etc. So, if you wanted to increase the size of FrouFrou you would do more repeats of the granite stitch pattern to get more length, and you would need to do a longer starting chain to get more width.

The designer of this project would probably be a better person to answer this (or someone who had more experience enlarging) but if you look at the schematic you can see how large parts of the pattern end up to be and adjust accordingly. Using my dodge math skills this is kinda where my mind is going with it;

110/50=2ish
So 2ish stiches/ final inch for the starting chain
55*2ish=121
So that means you would need a starting chain of 121+2 (as long as it still fits with the granite stitch pattern)

If you decrease at the same rate as the pattern tells you, your back length will end up around 32 inches.

For the sleeves, to increase the length just do more chains when you are beginning them.

I am  not sure how it is going to work out with the front, but I think that it would stay in proportion to the rest of the body, though I am not exactly sure about what you would do with the short rows.

Looking at this pattern, it seems very forgiving, and the granite stitch is nice and springy, so it would hide any minor mistakes.

It is pretty late over here, so I am sorry if I have made any mistakes with the maths, and I hope I have helped in some way. Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melesse
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006 11:37:56 AM »

zeeblebee, thank you! It'll be a bit before I tackle it, but I'm printing out your suggestions and math to get tucked in my book for when I start.

I really appreciate the help, thanks again. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sell stuff too! SkyWorks ~ It's all about the wistlists, babeee!

I do personal swaps... PM me.
zeeblebee
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006 01:29:47 AM »

lol, goodness, I am flattered by the trust you have in my maths skills  Cheesy. When you do start it, please keep us informed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
breeze530
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006 08:07:31 PM »

I'm very experienced with making garments, especially sweaters larger for my daughter.  As little as you need to enlarge this, I'd try just going up 1 hook size after you found the one with the correct gauge size.  That usually works for me.
Good luck! Smiley

The problem is the largest bust size listed in 50" and I'm 55" in the bust (and probably correspondingly bigger on all measurements). Is it possible to enlarge the pattern? If so could some kind soul walk me through it since I'm barely out of the sc dishcloth stage?

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Allison McNamara Shops for a Fashion Week Wardrobe
Alexa Chung on When She First Fell in Love with Fashion
Kirsten Dunst Steals the Show in a Stella McCartney Short Suit
VMA Fashion Throughout The Years
Favorite Moments in Fashion Week History
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...