A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,864
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Little Shop of "TERRORS" Illusion Scarf! (Now w/Tute & Definition) IMAGE HEAVY  (Read 3667 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , chart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

planipa
"We all sing songs of feedback..."

"watch him fashion a [boat] from a page of camus"

View Profile WWW
« on: July 03, 2006 01:53:07 AM »

This is my first post, I do hope I do this right, feel free to tell me if this is in the wrong place, or done incorrectly!

i just wanted to take a stab, because this site kind of makes me weak-at-the-knees it's so utterly lovely!

i am a theatre techie. i spend months without seeing the sunlight, or breaking for sleep, or other such "trivial" matters!
i have been doing theatre tech for 4 years everything from lights crew to costumes designer, from design coordinater/dramaturg to director.
the main director at my school has been honest-to-goodness a second mother to me, and is one of the most fantastically zany, tough, creative, brilliant people i have ever met.
needless to say, i wanted to find a way to thank her some how for everything she's shown and taught me.... so, i, erm, decided to knit her a scarf.
not just any scarf...but an illusion scarf! depending on which way you look at it is just a red a black striped scarf, or it reads "LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS" (in honor of the last show we put on in our black box which is about to meet the wrecking ball!)
the red is due to the blood in lil shop
the black in honor of our black box

so yes... i hope it's okay that i posted this!
(and please excuse the crappiest of the pics--i hadn't slept in two days straight, and i had just had blood drawn--oh irony!)

there once was a man who enjoyed sunbathing standing up in red & black striped scarves

this seemd like a calm enough pasttime, until....

Letters.
Were.
appearing.
out.
of.
nowhere!!??!?!

understandably, he was a little taken aback...

things just grew more...

and even more sinister

so he layed the scarf to rest...

where the cycle began

allover again...

until it found a new unsuspecting home.

i know it doesn't really stack up to all the unrequitably lovely things on this site, but if you feel so inclined, please do tell me what you think!
thank you!
sugar plum dreams and sandy pajamas,
sawi

--------------------------
[[Edit:]]
Thank you to sbreih for rocking all kinds of casbahs and telling me how to modify this thang!

Illusion knitting is a rather fantastic process which allows a knitter to hide an image or text in the piece they are knitting. It can be used for a whole range of objects, scarves, hats, sweaters, heck even knitted t.v.s.
In effect you are creating a fiber-based holograph.
Illusion knitting works with the idea of a ribbing: a raised line followed by a recessed line.
This concept is crucial to understanding illusion knitting.
The beauty of illusion knitting comes from taking a highly textured object and making it seem flat from far away, so that your tricks stay up your sleeve where they belong, and it seems as though it is simply magic that the image appears.

Now, if you think about your standard ribbing, you have two textures, the raised, and the recessed, wherever you want your image to be, you simply chart out and subvert which is which.

If you look in the Ma'am Stroller's Handbook, there is a very fantastic alien illusion scarf! She also describes the idea of the positive and negative space manipulation very well.
To define your positive and negative space you will want to yarns of preferably similar hefts, and it also helps if there is a lot of contrast between the two colours.

cast on however many stitches you desire and then do the general knit a row, purl a row, to create your recessed, and then for the raised knit two rows. do this, alternating, by just passing the yarn along the side (leaving enough slack that the side does not become more taut then the opposite side), to create the margin before and after your image.

now for instructions specific to this scarf (some wording aided by Shetha Nolke from Debbie Stroller's Stitch 'n Bitch Handbook-- i am not sure if it is legit to do this...so if not please tell me and i will go about wording it all on my own, though i think it would be much much more confuddled):

choose which color you want to be your main colour (MC:the background colour) and which you want to be your contrasting colour (CC: the colour that your image or text will be).

On US size 7 needles cast on 40 stitches with the MC, then depending on how long you want your scarf to be, or how you do the spacing, choose how many repetitions of the set written out before to do--whenever not doing the image (i.e. whenever you are doing spacing in between) you are working in sets/stripes of the above.

i ended up doing two sets of stripes before and after the whole title, one set between each letter, and two between each word. Remember, to do one set, is to knit four rows (knit in the general sense...actually you would be knitting a row, purling a row, switching colours then knitting two rows).

Now, Down to the LOGISTICS & Some Knitty Gritty:

below are the Letters "L", "O", and "S", which are the basis for the other letters. I basically blocked them out on graph paper as I went along... sorry for the quality of these charts, i wasn't sure the best way to go about it, so i did them on excel, then did two "PRTSC" per one and modified them on paint..haha yes, there MUST be a better way!

How to read the charts:

the numbers going along the side represent the forty stitches on your needle.
white=CC
-a white empty box = knit on the RS, purl on the WS
-a white box with an "x"=purl on the RS, knit on the WS
yellow=MC
-a yellow empty box=knit on the RS, purl on the WS
-a yellow box with an "x"= purl on the RS, knit on the WS

remember, your image is defined by raising a section the recess, and lowering a section of the raised, so that they balance one another.
your change is always initiated by the CC and then compensated for with the MC.

i allowed for a six stitch margin on top and bottom of each letter, depending on your centering preference simply decrease or increase those margins.

The Letter "L":

The Letter "O":

The Letter: "S":

(oh man, someone could whip up a wicked "LOST" scarf with these!)

So for the "I" you just chop off the horizontal leg of the "L"
for the "T" you turn the "L" upside down,  move the vertical part of the "L" to the center, for the "E" mirror the bottom of the "L" as the top part, and then make a third horizontal leg in the middle (For the "F", you follow what you did for the "E", but leave off the bottom).  The way i did the "P" was by imitating the vertical leg of the "L" and the curve of the "O". Then I did the same with the "R", but added in the diagonal. I think that the "R" was the most difficult, and came out the wonkiest. I think the easiest way to go about it is to think about the letters as they would look heavily pixelated.
At first I wanted to play around with the font, but found it didn't come across very well.

I basically used one piece of graph paper which i highlighted, and then marked up with pencil. I only had one sheet, so i just kept erasing (it's truly a mess)... so I did my best to recreate the pattern for the letters, I hope they help and inspire other potential weavers of illusion!

Okay, so bind off, and you are done!

if you have any questions, don't hesistate to ask!
good luck!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2006 10:28:10 PM by planipa » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hejin
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006 02:02:31 AM »

cooooolness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigercub_wabbit
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006 02:34:09 AM »

wow!!!
how did you do that???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stringy
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006 03:42:12 AM »

That's fantastic! and such a great gift for your friend, I bet they love it. Illusion knitting is so cool, I love seeing all the different things people hide in there Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thebagfairy
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006 04:07:12 AM »

Now that's a knitting masterpiece! Amazing! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pSTAT3queen
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006 04:24:30 AM »

that is fantastic!!! and your post was amusing as well (great photos) Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knits_with_animals
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006 05:27:51 AM »

That is totally awesome!  The last play my daughter worked on before she graduated was "Little Shop" (she's a techie too).  Is there a pattern for this?  Very, very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tamantha
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006 05:55:59 AM »

Very cool! I love illusion knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CosmicCarrot
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006 11:44:23 AM »

i LOVE that show. and illusion knitting never ceases to amaze me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there's plastic on the furniture to keep it neat and clean,
in the pine sol-scented air, somewhere that's green...
sbfreih
supercalafragelisticexpealadocious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006 01:07:50 PM »

I think your scarf is wonderful and I think this is the perfect place for it. I also think you should continue posting all your creations on this site because we all need a little "drama" in our knitty lives! Also, that movie was one of two I owned as a kid (the other was Marry Poppins) so your scarf brings back a ton of great memories, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What To Wear To A Winter Wedding, From Bobbie Thomas
Best Tricks For Moisturizing, From Bobbie Thomas
What To Wear This Fall, From Bobbie Thomas
Who Can Wear Jeggings?, From Bobbie Thomas
Workplace Fashion Donts, From Bobbie Thomas
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...