A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 301,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
375 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 7 day theme zine swap!  (Read 1304 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cassia

Rollin' rollin' rollin'

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2006 08:30:49 PM »

I've been wanting to make my own zine for a while (3+ years to be honest) but I have a tendency to procrastinate. So I thought what better way to dip my toes in the zine waters than to do it with my fellow craftsters?

My idea is to have a 7 day them zine swap. Every month we'll pick a new theme and then we'll have 7 days to fully complete the zine before sending it out to all the other members of the swap. It could be a written zine or comic depending on where your interests/talents lay.

Would anyone be interested in this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist upon a star <3

I am disappearing into hospital until atleast  mid-late October, so PMs will be very late in getting answered.
lisiepeasie

greetings. fish i am.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006 08:50:24 PM »

Ah, great idea.

My only concern would be the time factor. Maybe we could extend it to 14 days, and have it once in 3 months instead.. Or something to that effect.. Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Steal all the chandeliers down your street and call it romance.
lisiepeasie

greetings. fish i am.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006 09:31:31 PM »

Wow, nobody wants to do this? Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SoonFamo-Artiste
Addict To Crafts.

I am crafty obsess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006 09:34:56 PM »

thats a neat idea, but what if people love it to much, say 28 people sign up thats 28 stamps we would have to come up with, is there a way, where we can all do a alltogether zine, where each person makes a page or 2, then send it to one person and they make copies put the zine together and mail it off to everyone, everyone could include a sase, so the person wouldnt have to pay for stamps, but i will have to wait till my first swap is approved first because Im not sure if i would do this swap cuz lot of people could join and I dont got that much stamps for all that or could afford all those stamps
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006 01:27:37 PM by SoonFamo-Artiste » THIS ROCKS   Logged
smegs
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006 09:37:44 PM »

It's a great idea -- I'd love to participate. But with a full-time job, I don't think I could dedicate that much time to my comics. (I've been drawing single-frame and small multi-frame quips for about a year.)

Maybe make the swaps farther apart? Or make a limit of a certain number of pages? Like one month's guideline could be: "No more than five pages dedicated to cupcakes." Who knows.

Great idea though! Let me know if any small-scale things like this happen. I've been dying to share some of my drawings...until then, people can check them out on DeviantArt. (Beware -- some adult subject matter is covered...)

http://smegosaurus.deviantart.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lisiepeasie

greetings. fish i am.

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006 10:07:26 PM »

Yay, replies!

I have a few ideas for the swap that we could use:

1) We could emulate the Sweat Shoppe Swap format. Instead of sending a zine to ALL the participants, we'd be grouped off in groups of 3 or 5. So if you would like to send your zine to 6 people, the organizer would put you into 2 groups.. Somebody else could choose to send to 3 people, hence the person would only be in one group..

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=87968.0 -- Sweat Shoppe Swap format

2) We could try just starting with one zine, to see how that works out.. From what I've observed, swaps that have a long swapping period and require more than one delivery date usually fizzle out. The only exception is  the Secret FOC swap, which is in its 3rd round and still going on strong.. And if the zine swap is successful, we always could do another round...

And the number of pages, length of swap can still be discussed and tailored to everybody's swapping calenders.. Smiley

Smiley Smiley

smegs - i love your comics! especially "sick of being friends"...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006 10:11:08 PM by lisiepeasie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cassia

Rollin' rollin' rollin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006 11:10:02 PM »

Thanks for your input Grin

Limiting the ammount of people you need to send to is a good idea, I guess I'd assumed that only a small ammount of people would be interested.... I'm happy to be proved wrong though!

2) We could try just starting with one zine, to see how that works out.. From what I've observed, swaps that have a long swapping period and require more than one delivery date usually fizzle out. The only exception is  the Secret FOC swap, which is in its 3rd round and still going on strong.. And if the zine swap is successful, we always could do another round...

Definitely. I wasn't planning on making it a ongoing swap, more of one with more rounds if it works out.

Insert Quote
It's a great idea -- I'd love to participate. But with a full-time job, I don't think I could dedicate that much time to my comics. (I've been drawing single-frame and small multi-frame quips for about a year.)

Maybe make the swaps farther apart? Or make a limit of a certain number of pages? Like one month's guideline could be: "No more than five pages dedicated to cupcakes." Who knows.

The 7 day was just an idea. I'll adjust the time frame to suit everyone. Let me know what would work best for you all. I think I'll leave the number of pages up to the individual, quality comes before quantity so I'll let people decide how their zine/comic will best end up.

I love your T-Rex/Dino love comics. Too cute!

If all goes well I was thinking starting sign-ups near to the end of July/begining of August. Does this work for you guys?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist upon a star <3

I am disappearing into hospital until atleast  mid-late October, so PMs will be very late in getting answered.
lisiepeasie

greetings. fish i am.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006 12:29:31 AM »

sounds good to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

devilninny

isnt he adorable?

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006 03:29:44 PM »

i'll keep my eye on this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cassia

Rollin' rollin' rollin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006 08:26:08 AM »

I need to get my second positive feedback, which will hopefully happen by the end of next week. I'll start sign-ups as soon as I get it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist upon a star <3

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Holiday Fashion Tips for Parties and More
Trend Alert: Lace Pumps
Stylist Tod Hallman Shares His No. 1 Red Carpet Essential
Denim Jacket Trends
Hottest Looks for the Holiday Season
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...