A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,209
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: eating a Japanese diet -- need help!  (Read 1516 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewknitter

have needles will sew, knit, crochet, tat. . swap!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 02, 2006 08:11:13 PM »

Hi, I've using the book Japanese women don't get old or fat as a guide to eating better and losing weight. You can see the book at amazon (link provided for convenience).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385339976/sr=8-1/qid=1151895320/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2408310-7471313?ie=UTF8

I found that this diet works best for me because I have food allergies to milk, wheat, and corn. And I have a blood type of "O" which makes most of the Japanese diet similar to the food I need to eat.

My problem is finding the food. I live in Bucks County PA, near Montgomery county to the west and Hunterdon County NJ to the east. Would anyone know of Asian markets near there?

Second best help would be online sources. I've googled, but I just don't know which companies to trust for freshness and quality. So many have pictures but not much in the way of descriptions.

Since my life seems to be on the line for this, I'm trying so hard to learn Asian cooking and mindset. A buddy or two who cook this way and can describe the ingredients would be so helpful.

PM if you prefer, but I'd really appreciate some recipes, especially for breakfast. I'm tired of miso soup for breakfast. Need some fresh ideas. . .

many thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.cara4webshopping.com
knitting looms, embroidery machines, weaving,  knitting software~all discounted!

Shop My Swap  Shop 31
forknspoon
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006 09:10:27 AM »

Have you tried making homemade sushi. I make the vegetable kind so I don't have to deal with fish. Most japanese cookbooks have a sushi recipe, or you can google on online. If you can't find sushi rice at the store, use Cal Rose or medium grain white rice--it works the same. I also really like seaweed salad, but have no idea how to make it. I also make veggie nigari-style sushi--it's pretty quick and easy. Just a little lump of sushi rice with a slice of veggie on top held together with a strip of nori.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://whammyindustries.com
Custom buttons and magnets, crafty and cooking zines, and other awesome stuff galore!
Trillian42
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006 12:46:00 PM »

Sorry, can't help you with the markets.  I live in Houston, and we have tons of HUGE Asian Markets.  So wonderful!

Are there any military bases near you?  They tend to have a large Asian population around them.

As for breakfast ~ I love brown rice and eggs with a little soy sauce.  I know it sounds weird, but it's wonderful.  Give it a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
my addiction
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006 01:48:55 PM »

For a healthy lunch or breakfast try sauteing veggies (carrots cut into long strips, string beans or edamame, mushrooms etc) with water instead of oil. Just use a non stick pan and add a tablespoon of water, and just keep adding when it evaporates.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillianb
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006 02:21:55 PM »

I don't know any Asian markets in that area, but is it produce you're trying to find subs for, or things like miso?  Also, how do you prepare your miso soup?  Not to say that it might not get tiresome having it daily, but there are tons of different things you can add to give it variety.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Odri
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006 03:17:24 PM »

For breakfast, try scrambled eggs (Like the ones in the "Iri-iri pan-pan" recipe) mixed with sushi rice and bits of sausage.

I have the book too. I love it, but I have to agree with you, the ingredients she mentions are really hard to find  x_x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillianb
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006 08:55:51 AM »

Scrambled tofu is also good for breakfast.  I like to add shredded carrots, bok choy (regular cabbage finely shredded could also work), finely chopped broccoli, hijiki and/or shiitake mushrooms.  Traditionally, you season with salt, pepper, tumeric (a pinch for color) and nutritional yeast.  Hijiki and dried shiitake mushrooms can usually be found at a health food store if you have one near you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006 02:05:07 PM »

Ooo...this sounds like a book I would be interested in.  I live right near a japanese grocer too  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewknitter

have needles will sew, knit, crochet, tat. . swap!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006 07:29:30 PM »

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I am so new here, that I couldn't figure out how to bookmark this topic. So I lost it for awhile. Please forgive me!

For breakfast, try scrambled eggs (Like the ones in the "Iri-iri pan-pan" recipe) mixed with sushi rice and bits of sausage.

I haven't tried the Iri Iri pan yet. Odri. I'll try it this week with sausage and rice, nice variation.

Have you tried making homemade sushi.

Never made sushi, forknspoon, but I did buy a mat to make some. I don't have the japanese vinegar, I'm waiting to find some.

I love brown rice and eggs with a little soy sauce.  I know it sounds weird, but it's wonderful.

Trillian42 do you scramble the egg and add the cooked rice in, or do you put them side by side?

For a healthy lunch or breakfast try sauteing veggies

I'm eating way more veggies, and I've stir fried, but not with water, will try that too, my_addiction, and let everyone know how it is going.

is it produce you're trying to find subs for, or things like miso?  Also, how do you prepare your miso soup?  Not to say that it might not get tiresome having it daily, but there are tons of different things you can add to give it variety.

jillianb, well I'm looking for the miso & other japanese ingredients. We have a "sort of fresh produce place." where I live you can get imaculately fresh produce if you want to pay 3x what it is worth elsewhere. For instance, if you want a head of truly fresh green leaf lettuce, you pay about $3.49 per POUND. But if you go to the "cheapy" produce place it is 3 heads for about $1.50. The "cheapy" place you have to eat it all really fast, about 4 days, but I figure if I can eat only 2/3 it is still less than the "good" stuff. But they just overcharge all over here "because they can."

How I make my miso soup
Fish stock:
I make a quart of boiling water, then add 1 level teaspoon of instant fish stock that I got in a box of 6 packets in Ft. Meyers, Florida. (I haven't used all the packets, as there seems to be about 5-6 teaspoons in each packet, and that makes about 6 weeks of breakfasts. . .)

And I add pieces of kombu seaweed to it, from about 4"x4" sheet. I let that steep according to the recipe in the book, and then remove the seaweed and throw it out (compost it) as the flavor isn't that great to me, and I tried eating it but couldn't.

This I use for the whole week. (I'm thinking of making a variety of vegetable stocks, as I'm really tired of the fish taste.)

Okay daily:
I measure about 3/4 cup of stock into a soup bowl.
I take a large pinch of dry Hijiki seaweed into the bowl.
Cut about 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick slice of firm tofu, and dice it, size 1/2" or 3/4" squares
I add about 1/2 cup of veggies from dinner nite before, usually pre-cooked.
add a 1/4 cup mound (left in a mound) of cooked rice
If I have a hard-boiled egg in the house I add a quarter of that.
If I have some grape tomatoes, I add about 5.
I microwave all in a bowl about 2 minutes, sometimes only 1 minute 33 seconds if the bowl isn't "full."
(I read that the microwave will kill the live culture of the miso, so I don't microwave that.)
After everything is medium warm, not boiling, I add about a level teaspoon of miso in, and stir until dissolved.

this gets really fast to make if you do it daily. It is really good, and I do have lots of energy. I'm just a variety eater, so it really is something I try to do. . .

Scrambled tofu is also good for breakfast.  I like to add shredded carrots, bok choy (regular cabbage finely shredded could also work), finely chopped broccoli, hijiki and/or shiitake mushrooms.  Traditionally, you season with salt, pepper, tumeric (a pinch for color) and nutritional yeast.  Hijiki and dried shiitake mushrooms can usually be found at a health food store if you have one near you.

Scrambled tofu? Which firmness of tofu, ? According to my blood type, cabbage causes allergy symptoms in me. But the broccoli, Hijiki (I love the flavor of this), and shitake mushrooms sound good. We do have them <reasonable> locally.

Ooo...this sounds like a book I would be interested in.  I live right near a japanese grocer too  Smiley

I skipped the statistics part, but the rest of the book is really beautiful, in the japanese way, describing memories and food very inspiring, twilight021, and Amazon has it on sale, and the used ones would be good too.

NOW FOR THE BIG NEWS!

An Asian store just opened only 45 mins away! YAY! Okay, what should I look for that isn't in the book. . . something you all like to eat, and I should treat myself to?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.cara4webshopping.com
knitting looms, embroidery machines, weaving,  knitting software~all discounted!

Shop My Swap  Shop 31
poppysmum

Mei has arrived! Pic ASAP...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006 01:22:16 AM »

Hi sewknitter! I live in Japan so maybe I can give you an idea of how the locals really eat. Alot of people do have the standard fish, rice & miso soup in the morning. Alot of people also have salad, omelet & even sandwiches these days.

In winter add pork strips to your vegetable/miso soup & you'll find it keeps you full for longer. (don't leave this sitting on the stove over night in summer though, you won't want to have that for brekky!)

Have you tried soba/buckwheat noodles? You can have them hot in winter & cold in summer. Also try cold rice noodles with cucumber, ham, omelet & wakame/seaweed shredded on top with 'tsuyu' sauce. You buy the sauce in a bottle & it's ready to go.

Have you made hijiki salad? Soak your hijiki in water as usual. Drain & add chopped up cucumber & tomato. Toss in sushi vinegar. Go easy on the vinegar though, it's really high in sugar.

Remember too that if you like something why shouldn't it be breakfast? Try rotating your meals around & have breakfast for dinner & lunch for breakfast etc.

Good luck & keep on googling!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Fried Rice
How to Make Mango Chutney
How to Make Korean Tacos
How to Make Naan Bread
How to Make Onion Bhaji
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...